3.1.1 install package versus source

Hi,

I upgraded a few months back to 3.1.0 and tried to use the install package but it failed to work for me (probably due to my own mistakes).  I then downloaded the the source and then uploaded it and the install went fine.  what are the advantages to just using the install package over the source, and is there any docs or lessons learned about how to use the install package?

Best Regards,

Flaroman

 Flaroman wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded a few months back to 3.1.0 and tried to use the install package but it failed to work for me (probably due to my own mistakes).  I then downloaded the the source and then uploaded it and the install went fine.  what are the advantages to just using the install package over the source, and is there any docs or lessons learned about how to use the install package?

Best Regards,

off the top of my head, I would say the install would not have the .vb files or anything  that is compiled into the dlls (bin folder). Take a look in the documentation folder (source download).
-DarrenNeese.com
-DNN ROCKS!
-DeveloperSchool.com
0
DeveloperMCDBA
9/7/2005 4:12:17 PM
All of the un-needed files in the source are stripped out for the
install package, resulting in less space on your host used for the
portal.

Ex:
     *.vb files are useless for deployment, etc.

The best way to learn whats needed and what is not needed is to get a copy of BeyondCompare and comare the two packages.

or

You could take a look at the dotnetnuke.build file and get the jist of what does not need to be included in deploy. Take a look below this entry:

<target name="CreateBinZip" depends="CleanPackageBin">

0
Ed_DeGagne

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

DotNetNuke 3.1.1 Installation
Does anyone know where the web.config folder is located in the dnn installation please? I was instructed to start over by my web host, but now I don't see any files or folders called web/web.configP.S. I unzipped the dnn server software with OUT the source code files.Thanks.Tamer There is a "release.config" file in the DNN root folder, rename it to web.config, and change the database setting in the file will do the job....

Problem with Installing DotNetNuke 3.1.1
Hi i'm a first timer with DNN. I have downloaded the latest version od dnn and i'm unable to find web.config file so i downloaded the previous version (3.0) and used it's web.confid file and try to run it and i'm getting this object ref not set err pls help . Installing DotNetNuke -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during th...

Installation Problem 3.1.1 With Source
Hello everyone. I have been working on the installation process of DotNetNuke 3.1.1 with Source all day now and I read the readme instructions and I am pretty sure I have everything installed correctly. However, when I go to localhost/DotNetNuke I get the source code and not the actual application.  Am I missing something here?? When it says DotNetNuke with Source does that not install the program?? I have tried to find an installation tutorial but I havent had any luck. Can anyone help.Thanks a bunchChristina Dear Cristina try find where framework is instaled and use this path to ru...

Infinite redirect loop after upgrade from DotNetNuke 3.1.1 to 3.2.1
After upgrading from DotNetNuke 3.1.1 to 3.2.1, I cannot access any of the DNN sites. Each access never completes. I checked all my aliases. They seem fine. I access my site via http://localhost/site or http://machinename/site and it fails. Of course, it all works under 3.1.1 (and prior versions). Anyone else experience this problem? Know of a fix? ...

DNN 3.1.1 Source install issue
Here's a problem recently solved.Trying to upgrade to 3.1.1 from 3.0.13 using the source version. In the web.config the SqlDataProvider was registered with a object qualifier "dnn_".But the original 3.0.13 was created with that setting at "". So this created an issue becasue the upgraded version was looking for tables like "dnn_Tabs" but the system's table was still named "Tabs". Tricky. Frustrating. Solved.Be sure to check that config setting if you go to install or upgrade using the source project. I think most people don't use that setting. You might even call that a release packaging bug...

3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Ok... I did the following: 1) made a backup of the web.config. 2) extract the 3.1.1 package over the 3.1.0 package at the host. 3) replaced the 3 keys in the web.config (the sql, MachineValidationKey, and MachineEncryptionKey) 4) I then browsed to the site. It took a little longer than normal to open up the site... no messages or anything.  I was looking at some things and I noticed that the log viewer doesn't look the same as another 3.1.1 install... and under host / host settings the DotNetNuke version showing is 3.1.0.  I would have thought the upgrade would have ch...

Install DotNetNuke 3.1.1 on Share Hosting Error

Installing DotNetNuke 3.1.1 on XP Pro
Hi,I have tried 3 times to install the package on my XP Pro machine. Each time the installation process starts as expected but after a few minutes fails :On the following line:"00:07:47.718 -   Installing Module File C:\DotNetNuke\Install\Module\UserDefinedTable_3.1_Source.zip:"Error Notification Thread was being aborted. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Threading.ThreadAbo...

Confused about DNN 3.1.1 Source w/Install
Hello, I am a bit confused with the latest 3.1.1 release. I downloaded the Source w/ Install package but I don't know if I should just upload the entire zip package to my web server? I wonder because I see many ..vb files that, I assume, would not be used in a web serving enviroment since they are only used by Visual Studio for programming, am I correct? If so when will we be able to download the "Binaries" only package that will only be used by the web server? Should I just go ahead and upload ALL files? Thanks in advance earthdance,There are two packages Install w/Source&nbs...

3.1.1 versus 3.1.0
Greetings again,I was going though the SQL scripts for upgrading the database manually, when I noticed something interesting. The source package for 3.1.1 has a different version of the 03.01.00.SqlDataProvider Script than is contained in the 3.1.0 source package! Does this make sense? I would have expected the script for 3.1.0 to NOT change. Perhaps this was modified to address a bug? Does this have any significant impact on the upgrade process?Casey This question has been tossed around by the core team quite a bit.  The consensus is that previous scripts will not be changed to ...

Web resources about - 3.1.1 install package versus source - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

WA Premier Colin Barnett urges City of Joondalup to install shark net at Sorrento Beach - PerthNow Search ...
PREMIER Colin Barnett has urged the City of Joondalup to “get on with it” and install a shark net at Sorrento Beach.

You can now try Firefox OS 2.5 on your Android device with a quick APK install
Bored with your current flavor Android, but don’t want to flash a new ROM? You're in luck. Firefox has today released an interesting "Developer ...

You can now install popular automatic screen brightness app Flux on iPhone and iPad
With iOS 9, it is now possible to install screen brightness app Flux (or f.lux). Flux adjusts screen brightness and color depending on the time ...

Android adware can install itself even when users explicitly reject it
(credit: Lookout) Two weeks ago, Ars reported on newly discovered Android adware that is virtually impossible to uninstall . Now, researchers ...

FSS ePub Reader silently installs adware?
... of a range of popular Windows freeware, including FSS Video Downloader, FSS Google Books Downloader, FSS ePub Reader and more. You’ve installed ...