Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Okay, I admit it -- I know nothing about .Net.

I'm a Visual Basic and ASP developer. DotNetNuke is my first tentative step into the whole ".Net Thing", and I'm looking for some advice...
What do I really need to be able to make some modifications, or new modules for DotNetNuke? Do I need the full, THOUSAND DOLLAR Visual Studio .Net 2003 package, or can I get away with the HUNDRED DOLLAR Visual Basic .Net Standard package?
Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95

You can use webmatrix, available here for free.

One of the drawbacks of webmatrix however is that it does not support code-behind pages (this is a visual studio thing), and project compilations. However, you can edit the individual files directly, and then use the mk.bat file supplied to perform the compilation for you.
Cathal
0
cathal
7/31/2003 5:43:44 PM
Okay....that's one option.  I'll look into that.

If I were to go the Purchase route, however, which of the two Microsoft products do I NEED to work with DNN?
Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95
7/31/2003 6:46:18 PM
I use the Visual Basic .NET Standard Edition ($100 version) without any problems.

Regards,
Bruce
Regards,

B.G.
0
bguthrie
7/31/2003 8:37:32 PM
That's very good news!

And that will allow me to create add-on modules, and tweak base code (if needed)?
Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95
8/1/2003 2:03:03 PM
Yes, you'll have full development capabilities.

Regards,
Bruce
Regards,

B.G.
0
bguthrie
8/1/2003 3:25:21 PM
The only limitations I have experienced in using VB.NET instead of VS.NET is that VB.NET lacks some of the database designer tools that are included in VS.Net.  However, you can easily obtain equal functionality by downloading the SQL server tools from Microsoft.

Unless you want to use C# or Java for coding purposes, I can't see any reason to buy the suite. If you are and only want to be a VB (and ASP) programmer, you'll be perfectly happy with VB.Net in my opinion.
Dave
0
hermitw
8/7/2003 5:26:55 AM
Excellent -- thank you, Dave.

I've done some research, and I think I'm going the VB.NET route. Should I find I need more in the future, I'll just upgrade to VS.NET.
Ironically, it's cheaper to buy VB.NET and an upgrade to VS.NET than it is to just by VS.NET by itself.......
Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

Visual Studio.Net and VB.Net
Can we install VS.Net and VB.Net on the same machine and work side by. Is there any thing I need to worry about? I use VS.Net enterprise for my office work and I am planning to buy VB.Net standard for my personal use. Before I goahead and buy, I wanted to make sure that it works. Thanks for your help. Anil...

FIX: The IntelliSense feature for a Visual C# .NET project stops working in the Visual Studio .NET IDE
Ever got mad because your IntelliSense disappeared? Microsoft finally heard you: http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_838470.aspx or: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838470 MCSD, MCDBA, MCAD, MCSD .NET, MSF Practitioner...

No DataWindows .Net Tab in Visual Studio .Net
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've installed DataWindows .Net on a machine already running Visual Studio .Net 2003 (Windows XP Pro). No Errors or complaints during the installation. There is no DataWindow .Net Tab in the Tools window in .Net.....trying to Add Components....No Sybase Datawindows .Net components are available for Adding. The DataWindow Designer works Fine. Also have PowerBuilder 8.0 on the same machine and that works fine as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Try running the dwtoolboxreg.exe and/or when you go to Add Components, brows...

Web resources about - Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net? - asp.net.dotnetnuke-get-started

Visual Basic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access ...

Microsoft’s Android emulator coming soon to Mac as it open-sources Visual Studio Code
During Microsoft’s Connect 2015 event today live from New York, the company announced it is open-sourcing its Visual Studio Code program for ...

The Secret to Collaboration: Visual Technology Plus In-Person Interactions
Collaborating with colleagues in one office can be a challenge in and of itself. Add in co-workers spread across other cities, states and countries, ...

Visual Studio now supports debugging Linux apps; Code editor now open source
The Visual Studio Code editor, now open source, editing TypeScript on OS X. (credit: Microsoft) NEW YORK—Developers can now debug apps running ...

How to Stop Visual Hacking. Yes, That’s a Thing!
... you or your company from the high-tech hackers of the world, but it means nothing if someone can simply steal information with a glance. Visual ...

How to use Maps To Make Your Blog More Visual
... a topic or piece of content that has to do with places and locations. Nowadays (and often in the olden days), readers gravitate towards visual ...

Visual Effects On ‘The Martian,’ ‘Ant-Man’ And ‘The Walk’ Stand Out In Blockbuster Year For VFX
It's been a transformative year for the art of visual effects , demonstrated not only by the increasingly ordinary and realistic depiction of ...

The Good Dinosaur's Visual Grandeur Makes Up For Its Lack Of Wit
One of the constant accolades Pixar receives about its movies is that they’re not made just for kids. This is meant as a compliment: While they’re ...

A couple of age-gated visual novels are on sale on Steam
... ass god damn Clannad eyes got me thinking; I'm not sure about what, but I'll get back to you if I figure it out. Anyways, a couple more visual ...

Microsoft Integrates IncrediBuild Into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
The integration of IncrediBuild into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 provides enhanced acceleration and build visualization to users of the IDE. ...