I've been struggling for hours trying to get DNN 4.0.2 (DotNetNuke_4.0.2_Install.zip) installed on a new PC. First, DotNetNuke_template.MDF was missing from the installer; then SiteUrls.config was missing from the installer. Fortunately, other users posted about this and had the issue addressed. Now I'm getting the following error within a few seconds of browsing to the install URL (http://localhost/DotNetNuke):
DotNetNuke Upgrade Error
The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] )
ERROR: Could not connect to database.
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
I'm confused by the error--this is a fresh install, not an upgrade. I'm attempting to connect to the DotNetNuke database on my local SQL Server 2005. Still, I used the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool to allow Remote Connections; it did not resolve the problem. I tried deleting and re-creating the SQL Server user, login, and database (as posted by someone else who encountered this error a few years ago); however, this did not resolve the problem. Changing the AutoUpgrade property in web.config to "false" did not help, either.
DotNetNuke is installed in C:\DotNetNuke. The NTFS permissions are set appropriately. The virtual directory is set to use ASP.NET 2.0.
What else can I do to troubleshoot this error? Why is it such a struggle to install this version of the product?
See if there is a dnn.config file in the install directory? If there is delete it and then access the site.
S. Shawn Mehaffie
PC Resources, LLC
There is no such file in the install directory...nor anywhere else in the C:\DotNetNuke hierarchy.
I finally got DNN 4.0.2 to load!!! Besides the missing files mentioned earlier (how frustrating!), it wasn't initially obvious to me that I would need to edit the web.config file beyond entering the userid and password.
Upon further scrutiny of the release/web.config file, I realized that the connection string defaults to SQL Server Express.
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express -->
connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Database.mdf;"
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005
Note that the connection string for the non-Express version of SQL Server is commented out by way of the spanning comment symbols. Perhaps I missed this in the installation documentation.
So I deleted the SQL Server Express references and removed the comments surrounding the connection string for the non-Express version of SQL Server. I did the same thing in the <appSettings> section. After doing this, the installation ran successfully. What an ordeal!