Will migration from 2.1.2 to 2.2 be possible?

Hello,
I was wondering if there will be plans to easily migrate from DNN 2.1.2 to DNN 2.2? I say easily because some people run thousands of portals on 1 DNN system. There should be an easy way to automatically migrate from old DNN to new.
Is there going to be plans to allow this? If so, how will it work? Will any downsides exist?
How about existing 2.1.2 skins and modules. Will they all work in DNN 2.2?
How about the user model. Does that change in DNN 2.2? Right now its 1 username for the entire DNN server. Does DNN 2.2 have usernames unique to portals? If so, how will you handle the migration of users in 2.1.2?

Thanks!!
0
TimTimTimTim
10/7/2004 10:52:32 PM
asp.net.dotnetnuke-framework 1237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Timx4 ~

The DotNetNuke core (and core modules) will always upgrade from one version to the next. Simple matter of moving the code in and allowing the application to restart. The DB is automatically upgraded as the site restarts.
The difficulty is integrated 3rd party modules. The next version of DNN is (unfortunately) going to introduce some changes which will break most 2.x modules... so upgrading is going to be a bit more complex. This problem was unavoidable (view post 713771). So it may be a short while before everyone can upgrade... new portals can start out with the new version, but sites that have heavy reliance on 3rd party modules are going to have to wait for their module providers to upgrade also.
Skins should be unaffected unless they utilize skin objects which are affected by the changes mentioned above (this should be very few).
I believe the user model will convert straight across, although I'll defer to Dan to answer about that.
Cheers,
Scott
Scott Willhite
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly... what is essential is invisible to the eye.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
0
mrswoop
10/8/2004 7:29:58 AM
Thanks for the very good response mrswoop, I appreciate it.
0
TimTimTimTim
10/8/2004 2:56:19 PM
Hi, can you give me your email? I would like to have some advise from you about hosting TTTT

elevocm at netcabo dot com
0
elevo
10/10/2004 3:49:01 AM
tim at uomail dot com !!  Zip me one!
0
TimTimTimTim

DotNetNuke 2.1.2 #2
Is DotNetNuke 2.1.2 compatible with SQL Server 2005? Do I need to upgrade to 3.x or 4.x with SQL Server 2005?...

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

How to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2?
I have 2.1.1 wokring fine and I have spent a lot of time making it just right but I want to make sure I have the latest & greatest so I am trying to get 2.1.2 to work so I can upgrade. When I try to set-up 2.1.2 I get a few errors such as: Could Not Load Skin: ~/Portals/_default/Skins/_default/admin.ascx Error: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Temporary ASP.NET Files\dnn212\295dc47c\1861dacc\3z6nxty1.0.vb(159): error BC30560: 'admin_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'. Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2? RDD Iff you have not made any cha...

From 2.1.2 to 3.2 ?
Hi everyone!I've been away from DNN for quite some time, feels good to be back. Hi to anyone who remembers me. Just starting to look at taking our intranet portal from 2.1.2 to, I guess, 3.2. We have 3rd party modules and custom code. Is there a best practice for the upgrade/migration? Just looking for some guidelines. Thanks in advance. I'm no expert, but I too had a 2.12 site in which I migrated to 3.1.1While researching the migration, many suggested that I had to remove all of my third party modules first.  Then perform the upgrade.  Then add as many third party DNN 3.x mod...

iManager 1.2.2 #2
Hi, I have a NW6 SP3 server which runs BM37. I am in the process of upgrading to BM38 and I am running through the pre-requests. One of which is to upgrade iManager to 2.0.1. This can be done by either install iManager on a networked PC or upgrading the version on the server. I have tried installing it on a PC however, after the install it reports some errors, when you look at the log file is VERY lenghty and doesn't mean much to me. When the browser opens it tries to connect on the ipaddress of the pc\imanager......It basically doesn't work. What I need is a meth...

iManager 1.2.2 to 2.0.2 Upgrade
I've been running GW 6.5 WebAccess on the following system configuration: Netware 6.0 SP4 eDirectory 8.7.3 SP2 IR JVM 1.4.1 SP6 Novell Enterprise Web Server Tomcat 3.3 Apache 1.03 iManager 1.2.2 Yesterday I made the following change: Upgraded iManager to v2.0.2 and Tomcat to v4.0. This change broke GW WebAccess. I'm getting the following error when I try to get into GW WebAccess. It appears to pop up as it tries to bring up the login page. Server Error This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling you...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

4.2.2.2
Occasionally I will get an alert from ZAF announcing "The firewall has blocked local network access to 4.2.2.2 (DNS) from your computer." The explanation says that ZA has blocked access to Port 53 on a DNS server. Why would ZA block this? As far as I know, it has never requested permission to access this server and I have never denied such permission. I use a Netgear router, and in order to make it work with my system, I was instructed to configure the DNS Configuration of the TCP/IP Properties of my network card and add 4.2.2.2 as one of my DNS Servers. Thanks for you...

SeaMonkey 2.2 #2
I have just re-installed 2.0.14 and it works a treat. Don't mess with wot ain't broke. D. ...

Version 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 upgrade
Hi folks, I upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 last night. In case anybody wants it, I created a ZIP file containing the changed RUNTIME files - all you need to do is extract and ftp over the top of your 2.1.1 install - assuming you've NOT MODIFIED anything yourself... ;) Get the ZIP file here. Hope someone finds it helpful. joel joelblogs.co.uk...

2 #2
Name: Argenis Email: mechanical_rockstar_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: 2 Comments: i'm mexican Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

2 #2
Name: heldernda silva Email: shelder67atyahoodotcodotuk Product: Shiretoko Summary: 2 Comments: 3 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

2 #2
Name: woooooooooolf Product: Firefox Summary: 2 Comments: ПЕЗДАТЫЙ БРАУЗЕР , СУККА! И ПОЧТОВОЙ КЛИЕНТ ПЕЗДАТЫЙ! В томже духе ебаште и мы парабатим ээтот мир , када все будут юзать , мы пашлём им тройан ЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12 ...

2-2
Name: pepe_writer@hotmail.com Email: pepe_writerathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2-2 Comments: 22 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.173.1 Safari/530.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - Will migration from 2.1.2 to 2.2 be possible? - asp.net.dotnetnuke-framework

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bacterium in Otzi the Iceman's stomach provides human migration clues
An insight into the peopling of Europe has emerged from an unlikely source: the stomach contents of a 5300-year-old body pulled from a thawing ...

Sydney Festival review: The Migration's brilliance undermined by flawed sound
Australian jazz made a welcome return to Sydney Festival with the premiere of Stu Hunter's new suite.

The human migration out of Africa left its mark in mutations
(credit: Wikimedia Commons ) When it comes to evolution, people tend to focus on the big driving force of natural selection, which latches on ...

Is Apple really building an iOS to Android migration tool?
Apple is rumored to be working on a tool that will make it easier for iOS users to migrate to Android, following pressure from major European ...

PAUL RYAN WHINES: Cruz and Sessions Lying About Omnibus Funding New Wave of Muslim Migration
... as “a great victory for the principles Democrats stand for.” Ryan specifically condemned what he termed “hyperbole” surrounding immigration ...

Website migration guide: a Google Analytics & Tag Manager checklist
Hopping on the bandwagon started by Stephen Kenwright’s blog post on website migration for SEO . From that you know that if a site migration ...

Sex assaults inflame Germany’s migration battle
Scores of alleged sexual assaults against German women have added another dimension to the country’ s fraught debate over migration. The FT reports. ...

Apple iOS 9.3 download and the mystery of Android migration
The Apple iOS 9.3 download is now available (a beta, natch). Richi rounds up the interesting features, but also ponders the rumor that Cupertino ...

Ancient DNA Traces Irish Roots To Mass Migrations
Geneticists and archaeologists have teamed up to trace the heritage of the Irish all the way to the Middle East and Eastern Europe.