Controlling Automatic Creation of New Users in DNN 3.2

 -- I posted this in the DNN AD forums, but figured I would also post it here for those who don't read those forums yet.

All,

Since DNN 3.2 has entered with tighter AD integration, I noticed one slight flaw in the archicture.  At least from my point of view.

When a new user is authenticated via AD, the system checks if the user exists, if not it AUTOMATICALLY adds them as a user to the site.

This is good for an internet site, or a company wide site, however for smaller departmental intranets, this can pose a problem as you don't want users from another department accessing your sites.  One way to do this is to change the File Structure security underneath the site to narrow the access, although this restricts access to all portals sharing the same code location.

I used this method in DNN 3.1.1, but have taken a different approach in DNN 3.2.

I have made a few CORE changes to enable a checkbox to be added to the AD module, which states to automatically create new users.  It defaults to checked, which has the same effect as the current core.  If you remove the check, it will NOT automatically authenticate the user, but set them as an unauthorized user, in the way the non AD modules do, where you can add a module to your home page for non authorized users stating this is a private site, etc....

I have a screen shot of the addition here: http://www.registrars.kent.edu/home/dotnetnuke/ADCoreMod.gif

I have also created a zip file of the files that were changed with documented changes, and the screenshot.  This can be found here:
http://www.registrars.kent.edu/home/dotnetnuke/dnn32ad.zip

This has only been changed on DNN 3.2 since I do not run DNN 4.x yet, although, performing a diff on the files from their origional versions, the code should be fairly easy to implement on DNN 4 as it is basically an IF statement wrapper checking for that flag before adding the user.

Note: That this IS a CORE change, and has the possibility of being overwritten when another core is released.

To The CORE TEAM, this is a small incremental change that could be easily implemented and provides a little more security control over an AD site, without affecting the origional functionality of the site.  Please consider adding this small change to the AD core.

-Nathan

0
nitro001
4/3/2006 2:42:02 PM
asp.net.dotnetnuke-framework 1237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

DNN 3.2.2 New User Registration Sending Email to Wrong Users
This is the first time I've seen this, but I have a 3.2.2 site and it's just starting to get activity. I've had three different users register today and each got email confirmation from another user. I am using UCanUseUserAttributes 2.05.05. I haven't noticed this sort of thing in the past, but does anyone have a clue as to why this is? It doesn't bode well for user confidence to receive confirmation email from another user. ThanksTj Tj, You should contact the developer of "UCanUseUserAttributes".  If what you are saying can be duplicated then either you have configured "UCanUseUse...

Framework 1.1 / DNN 3.2 and Framework 2 / DNN 4 Happy Co-existance
Hi, Does anyone know how to fix this?I am attempting to run two environments on my machine (without a dual-boot, virtual machine, or similiar techniques).  So my assumption is I can get these two environments to co-exist happy on my developer machine (which is Windows XP Media Center 2005 with SQL Server 2000 developer edition and SQL Server 2005 express edition, plus IIS running as localhost). I get the following error message when launching DotNetNuke 4 for the 1st time.I have it set to use the older legacy SQL server 2000 localhost database and run DNN 4.  When it begins to st...

New account auto creation core authentication problem DNN 3.2.2
Where can I edit  the source code to modify the user details that are supposed to populate when the accounts are first created? I think they aren't matching up with one another when the account is created. Whenever a new account is created the only thing that pulls across and gets created is User Name: DOMAIN\USERNAMEEmail Address: USERNAME@DOMAIN.COM The other items such as first name, last name, street, city, etc. is not populating at all, it's all blank. I don't need links to other third party modules, I need to modify the core to update with the correct naming convention that t...

Having problem modifying controls with new DNN 2.0.1 and DNN 2.0.2
Has something changed in the DNN 2.0.1 and DNN 2.0.2 releases of DNN that will not allow changes to the DesktopModules? In DNN 2.0.0 I was able to go and modify the EditContact.ascx file and place the following fields on the form. Last Name: First Name: Department: I made all the change to the database table and the stored procedures. I made the changes to the ContactsDB files as well as the changes to the DataProvider file and the SqlDataProvider file. In version DNN 2.0.0 the modified contacts form works like a champ I changed the Contacts form to show the three new fields...

.NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 2.0
Hi All,            I wana know i have .net framework 2.0 running on my pc with sql server 2005. I wana install .net framework 3.5. My question is that can i keep both the framework on same pc if yes can u tell me the way how can i do this.  The 3.5 version of the framework actually adds to the existing 2.0 framework. after you install 3.5, you will still have 2.0 on your system.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ actually by default and automatilcally when you ...

Nina's 2 New Free Skins using DNN Menu
 Happy to release these two free skins - XDNNLight - Blue & Gray.  Based on the original DotNetNuke 3 skins I designed, I thought it was time to freshen them up with slightly softer colours, smaller navigation and less whitespace. They are only suitable for the dnn 3.3 & 4.3 builds since the CSS files and code within the ASCX file has the references to create the menu, which I've tested in Firefox, Opera & IE. Each Skin set has 2 skins, horizontal menu only at this stage, the vertical is a little more work, but it's fixed and wide skins, and 4 containers each to use. ...

Moving Only User from DNN 2.1.2 to DNN 3.0.12
If I want to make a fresh installation with DNN 3.0.12 in which way I can move all people subscribe to my old DB (MSSQL)  in the new one ? Thanks. ...

Net framework 2.0 installled on my server, can i replace it with .net framework 3.5
Hi all I have .Net framework 2.0 installled on my server,  and  websites are currently running  that are developed in .net 2.,  my  clinets wants .net framework 3.5 or  if i installed .net framewrok 3.5 in my server, there is any problems to my previous  web application that was hosted using .net framework 2.0   if yes ,how  can i installed .net framewrok 3.5 adilahmed Don't worry...just install it. .net 3.5 is incremental and works on top of 2.0. Any existing websites will reference the 2.0 binaries and will still work.   Also, I...

DNN 3 with SQL Express 2005 and Net 2 framework
Hello, I see that SQL Express 2005 is now out and offers a bit tighter integration with .Net 2 as well as management tools.  Since I have been banging my head against the wall with DNN and MS SQL 2000, I was thinking this may be a bit easier to work with as a SQL noob. Will these play nice with DNN 3? Thanks DNN works with sql express 2005 fine (though it has no problem with 2000, so if you post your problem here I'll try to help). One thing to be aware of though, is when you install it, it installs asp.net 2.0, and also updates the IIS mappings. DNN will not run under ...

DNN 3.1.1 on server with .NET Framework 2 Beta
I installed DNN 3.1.1 on a server, that has .NET Framework 2 Beta installed. After the installation, which ran without any problems, I tried to access the portal and got an error "could not create object" or something like that. On the bottom of the page was the Version of the dot net framwork listed, which was 2.xxxx beta.Why did DNN use the .net framwork version 2 beta instead of 1.1, which is also installed?After removing .net framework 2 beta, everything works fine. But it should be possible to have both frameworks installed, shouldn't it?ThanksRene, Switzerland Yes it is possible.&nbs...

New module
Module: ITSCS Manage Users 2.0.0 For DNN 1.0.10e and DNN 2.0.4 (with source) ITSCS Manage Users PRO v.2.0 allows for enhanced bulk and individual management of users and roles in DotNetNuke single or multi-portal setup. This Module is a must-have tool for portal administrators with large numbers of users and roles - especially in multiportal setups. Now you can: Search user database by: - Login, - First Name - Last Name - Email - Created Date - Authorized/not authorized - Portals (global search if user is host or portals that the user is admin...

New Users in DNN 2.1.2
I have found that I cannot duplicate a UserName across any portals hosted on the same DNN site. Is this the intended functionality. I can understand not duplicating username across a single portal, but for my installation, I cannot duplicate a username across any portal, even Parent portals. I would think there should be some link for a user to a portal, so that the same username could be used in a different portal. Any thoughts?Cliff------ This is done by default. Here is a snippet where I have explained this before: You can use the same email address as often as you want in ...

DotNetNuke 3.2 Vers 1.1 Framework Question on Creating users
Ok,here is my question..I need to wirte a seperate application (outside of DOtNetNuke) that will allow me to add users and their roles to the DNN database.....I search high and low  for what I need and can't seem to find it.I either need a way not to encry with the  hash(which I guess is default) or need to find what library and keys they are using to do this cause I am lost.....any help........My applicaiton must be seperate of this.... The classes you are looking for are the UserController and the UserInfo classes. The location of these files are "admin\Users\" The has...

ITSCS Manage Users 3.0 for DNN 2.x with Import/Export (new)
MODULE DESCRIPTION ***************************** “ITSCS Manage Users PRO 3.0” allows individual or bulk management of Users and Roles in DotNetNuke single or multi-portal setup with an option to share users among portals (manual and/or automatic Users & Roles replication) and Import/Export of users and/or roles. This module is a must-have tool for every DotNetNuke portal administrators with any number of users and roles - particularly in multiportal setup, but the Import/Export feature makes it simply indispensable for all DotNetNukers. WHAT'S NEW IN THIS VERSIO...

Web resources about - Controlling Automatic Creation of New Users in DNN 3.2 - asp.net.dotnetnuke-framework

Talk:Controlling for a variable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of the WikiProject Statistics , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of statistics on Wikipedia. If ...

Controlling What You Share on Timeline - Facebook
Facebook and Privacy hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Controlling What You Share on Timeline geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text hier lesen. ...

Balloon Snake - Pop Balloons by Controlling a Bird with the Accelerometer or by Touching on the App Store ...
Get Balloon Snake - Pop Balloons by Controlling a Bird with the Accelerometer or by Touching on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and ...

Controlling a Computer with Eyes - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Some folks know I work with assistive technology, and this shot is one from many I took in the last few days at a conference in Phoenix. This ...

Controlling Doepfer modular synth with a Wiimote - YouTube
This video is about controlling a modular synth with Nintendo's wiimote gamepad, using Doepfer A-100, Doepfer MCV24, Wiimote and computer. Softwares ...

Controlling the minds of cockroaches using Microsoft's Xbox Kinect
Late last year, you were introduced to real, live, remote-controlled cockroaches. Well, the insect hackers at the North Carolina State University ...

CONTROLLING CHAOS: Twitter's Wild Ride From Doodle To IPO
CONTROLLING CHAOS: Twitter's Wild Ride From Doodle To IPO Business Insider Australia “We apologise if the following profile lacks our usual ...

View from the Street: Power to the people controlling the power!
Your news of the day, reduced to a snarky rant.

Dying to be clean: The new technique for controlling feral cats
Cleanliness may be next to godliness unless you're a feral cat, in which case, cleanliness may get you a place next to god. In kitty heaven, ...

Passwords the key to controlling Heartbleed
Stronger passwords are required to avoid being stung by Heartbleed.