Replace the .NET 1.1 Behavior-Object with the .NET 2.0 Tag-Object , How to?

Hello,

to set the Style - Attribute of my custom controls tag in source view from within its designer i use now the following code:

Behavior.SetStyleAttribute("Left", false, val, true);

This works fine but my visual studio 2005 / asp.net 2.0 says that the Behavior object is obsolete. The recommended alternative is the Tag object. But when i use it to set the Style attribute it doesn't work . I can set all other attributes or even create new ones using this Tag object but it does'nt work for the style attribute at all.

What am i doing wrong? If I can't set the style attribute in my custom control tag with the tag object from within the designer what other possibilites do exist?

any help appreciated!

markus

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson

Hello,

i figured out that the tags style attribute is a System.__ComObject and the other attributes are simple strings. I mean when i use myCustomControlsDesigner.Tag.getAttribute("Style") it  returns  a Com-Object and when i use myCustomControlsDesigner.Tag.getAttribute("Height") it returns a simple string. Thus, the setting (using Tag.setAttribute() )of the other attributes work and setting the tag's style attribute does'nt.

but how can i alter this System.__ComObject? I just want to set the tag's style attribute.

any suggestions?

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/8/2007 1:58:40 PM
Give just a little more about what you're trying to accomplish, just a quick rundown of what you want to happen, and in response to what action or as part of which process.

Are you
Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/8/2007 5:04:40 PM
Give just a little more about what you're trying to accomplish, just a quick rundown of what you want to happen, and in response to what action or as part of which process.

Are
Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/8/2007 5:04:40 PM
Give just a little more about what you're trying to accomplish, just a quick rundown of what you want to happen, and in response to what action or as part of which process.

Are you using
Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/8/2007 5:04:41 PM

continued...

Are you using Regions?  Are you using a ViewControl?  Is this a composite control or anything special (contains templates)?

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/8/2007 5:06:55 PM

hi jonathan,

it is nothing special. I have a custom webcontrol (base class webcontrol) with a related custom control designer (base class control designer). And when i set the Left property of my control in the property browser in design view it should update the controls tag when switching to source view. As i said i can do that by using the following code:

Behavior.SetStyleAttribute("Left", false, myNewVal, true);

This code sets the left property within the custom controls tag to myVal . so it looks like this:

<my:CustomControl runat="server" otherAttribute="otherValue" Style="position:absolute; top:10px; left:myNewVal" ></my:CustomControl>

BUT: visual studio say's the Behavior object is obsolete. Use the Tag object instead.

I can use the Tag object (its also a property of my custom control designer) this way:

Tag.SetAttribute("otherAttribute", "otherValue");  -----------This works fine.

BUT: I can't use this for the style attribute this way:

Tag.SetAttribute("Style", "position:absolute; top:10px; left: myNewVal "); -------------This doesn't work

I just want to know how to set this value from within my designer. I figured out that the "normal" tag attributes (like otherAttribute) are simple strings. But the Style attribute is a System.__ComObject. Thus, i think .NET should provide the functionality to alter this object and i think it does. But i can't find the  way to do it.

hope this makes things clearer.

thanks

markus

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/8/2007 5:39:16 PM
In addition maybe i have to say that the code ( Behavior.Set .... or  Tag.Set... ) is in the setter of the Left property of my control designer.

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/8/2007 5:44:41 PM

homersimpson:
In addition maybe i have to say that the code ( Behavior.Set .... or  Tag.Set... ) is in the setter of the Left property of my control designer.

 Good thing you added that last part!  First, a question: since when is there a Left property on ControlDesigner?
Now, webcontrols already map the height and width correctly, though they don't actually add them to the style property until rending.  To allow resizing, your desinger simply needs to return true on AllowResize.  If you are a stickler and want any changes in the property grid to end up in the style property, you can look into implementing either ShadowProperties or a ViewControl.

You can also just remove the current property descriptor being used and replace it with your own (give the designer left and top properties) in ControlDesigner.PreFilterProperties.  In the setters for those, you need only do:

(component as WebControl).Style["Height] = ......

and the designer will update both the source and view automatically .

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/8/2007 8:11:02 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, you are right. my control designer has the left and top properties using PreFilterProperties like that (sorry that i didn't mentioned that):

1    protected override void PreFilterProperties(System.Collections.IDictionary properties)
2            {
3
4                base.PreFilterProperties(properties);
5
6                // Shadow Controls Left/Top/Zindex properties.
7                //need to have the behavior object to persist the props in source view
8                PropertyDescriptor propertyDescLeft = TypeDescriptor.CreateProperty(
9                    typeof(WindowDesigner),
10                   (PropertyDescriptor)properties["Left"],
11                   new Attribute[0]);
12               properties["Left"] = propertyDescLeft;
13               PropertyDescriptor propertyDescTop = TypeDescriptor.CreateProperty(
14                   typeof(WindowDesigner),
15                   (PropertyDescriptor)properties["Top"],
16                   new Attribute[0]);
17               properties["Top"] = propertyDescTop;
18               PropertyDescriptor propertyDescZindex = TypeDescriptor.CreateProperty(
19                  typeof(WindowDesigner),
20                  (PropertyDescriptor)properties["Zindex"],
21                  new Attribute[0]);
22               properties["Zindex"] = propertyDescZindex;
23           }
The properties are implemented this way in the control designer:
1    [Category("Layout"),
2            DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden),
3            Description("Sets the Left style attribute."),
4            ]
5            public Unit Left
6            {
7                get
8                {
9                    return (Unit)_ctrl.Left;
10               }
11               set
12               {
13                   //Tag.SetAttribute("Style", "newVal"); //doesn't work
16                   String val = WlkUtilities.Util.getUnitRep(value); //this just gets a string of the value
17                   //set the style attribute
18                   Behavior.SetStyleAttribute("Left", false, val, true);
19
20                   //set also property of the real component //to update all correctly
21                   _ctrl.Left = value;
22                   //Tag.SetDirty(true);
23                   UpdateDesignTimeHtml();
24               }
25           }

The reason for that is that i want the ability to drag my control around on the design surface and this should map to the properties left/top/z-index.
I need that properties to do cool stuff. Unfortunately webcontrol uses the style attribute to do this.
When i delete the style attribute the control looses this ability. The better way for me would be to have ecplicit left/top/z-index properties in the tag
 instead of the style attribute but i didn't find a way to accomplish that mission.
Thus, i have hidden explicit properties like that in the control:

1    [BrowsableAttribute(true),
2            DescriptionAttribute("Position of the window."),
3            DefaultValue(typeof(Unit),"90px"),
4            CategoryAttribute("Dimension"),
5            DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden),
6            TypeConverter(typeof(UnitConverter))]
7            public Unit Left
8            {
9                get
10               {
11                   //gets left out of the Style attribute string
12                   string style = this.Attributes["Style"];
13                   string prop = WlkUtilities.Util.getStyleProp(style, "left");
14                   return Unit.Parse(prop);
15               }
16               set
17               {
18                   //throw exception, if Unit Type isn't Pixel or Percentage
19                   if(!(value.Type == UnitType.Percentage || value.Type == UnitType.Pixel))
20                   {
21                       throw new ArgumentException(ExceptionWrongUnitType);
22                   }
23
24                   String val = WlkUtilities.Util.getUnitRep(value);
25
26                   //Look if style attribute exists, if so use it
27                   String styleAtt = String.Empty;
28                   if (null != base.Attributes["Style"])
29                   {
30                       styleAtt = base.Attributes["Style"];
31                   }
32
33                   this.Attributes["Style"] = WlkUtilities.Util.getStyleWithProp(styleAtt, "Left", val);
34                   //Repaint();
35               }
36           }
In a nutshell, i use the webcontrols style attribute to drag around the control on the designsurface. this updates the left/top/z-index property automatically.
 And i write this to hidden left/top/zindex properties  to use them later.

 Your proposal to do it like this
 (component as WebControl).Style["Height] =
does not work for that properties. it  works for height and width since these are explicit attributes and not in the style attribute. When i use it this way (and i do that for my hidden props left/top/zind)
it sets also the explicit properties in the tag, But to have the ability to drag around  the control
(and update that accordingly) i need it in the style attribute.
The best solution for me would be to have visible explicit Left/height/zindex properties and no style attribute at all, but again then i loose the dragging around ability.
Well, it works now ok for me except the obsolete object.
i think this is the entire story now.

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/9/2007 9:16:51 AM
 in your designer....
        protected override void PreFilterProperties(System.Collections.IDictionary properties)
        {

            base.PreFilterProperties(properties);
            properties["Left"] = System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(this)["Left"];

        }

        [Category("Layout"),
        DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden),
        Description("Sets the Left style attribute."),
        ]
        public Unit Left
        {
           get
           {
               Unit currentStyle = Unit.Empty;
               return (Unit)(this.Component as ControlWithEnum).Left;
           }
           set
           {
               (this.Component as ControlWithEnum).Left = value;
           }
       }

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/9/2007 3:33:27 PM
And in your control:
            [BrowsableAttribute(true),
            DescriptionAttribute("Position of the window."),
            DefaultValue(typeof(Unit),"90px"),
            CategoryAttribute("Dimension"),
            DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden),
            TypeConverter(typeof(UnitConverter))]
            public Unit Left
            {
                get
               {
                   try
                   {
                       //gets left out of the Style attribute string
                       string prop = this.Style["Left"];
                       return Unit.Parse(prop);

                   }
                   catch
                   {
                       return Unit.Empty;
                   }
               }
               set
               {
                   //throw exception, if Unit Type isn't Pixel or Percentage
                   if(!(value.Type == UnitType.Percentage || value.Type == UnitType.Pixel))
                   {
                       throw new ArgumentException("");
                   }

                   String val = value.ToString();
                   this.Style["Left"] = val;
               }
           }

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/9/2007 3:35:02 PM

And if you want to see how to make these changes serialize to the designer, check out my post here:

 http://forums.asp.net/1/1415407/ShowThread.aspx

You're going to have to make a few changes (this is a readonly property, and since we are changing it, don't grab the current value), and you are going to have to prefilter this property because it does not have the right attributes to make the designer listen for changes.  It's going to work though.

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/9/2007 3:57:23 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this solution doesn't work. I 've already tried it this way. (and checked it again now).

The reason for that is that with the code :

this.Style["Left"] = val;
in the setter in the designer you set the value of  a left property which is explicite like the properties width and height in the control tag in source view like this.
<my:CustomControl Left="val" Style="position:absolute; left: unfortunatelyUntouched; top:10px;"></my:CustomControl>
This leaves the left within the style attribute untouched. (I don't even know why there are 2x left properties but it is as it is.)

 So because of this reason i used the Behavior stuff to set the left within the style attribute in addition to set this explicit left property.

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/9/2007 4:35:13 PM
See what I said about prefiltering the style property and how to notify the designer of changes.  MS doesn't do anything magical when you drag a control around.  They drive the designer as well.
Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/9/2007 4:45:59 PM
OK, I concede... this is funky in a major way.  I did a bunch of reflecting and all the types up the designer chain are internal and reject my attempts at discovery.  It's weird, I can set the value of style to an empty string, but nothing else.  My suspicion is that this is being governed by the parent container, but I don't know how (since I can't reflect it).  The documentation tells you not to use OnResize because that is now handled by the OnComponentChanged, but repositioning the control does not raise this event.  The CSSCollection is obviously implemented totally outside of .NET (and I think the other parenting design components are as well).

So, I have two thoughts.
1.  Perhaps doing an explicit version of IAttributeAcessor will correct this.  Unfortunately, this is a lot of work.
2.  Ditch the idea.  The apparent desired model for this is to just go ahead and have Left, Top, and ZIndex properties.  These properties should then be mapped to the rendered style attribute.  This will work, but I don't know if it will fit your desired behavior or not.  Since your application of these properties will override any settings in the design-time tag, I can see both sides of the argument.

Still, it would be nice if someone from MS would chime in and tell us what is really going on here.  I looked for hours and could only find examples using the deprecated Behavior syntax, but something is governing this, and it's not documented.  I'm sure that this ties in to the fact that ControlDesigner only allows you to persist content, and not attributes.

Incidentally, your last ditch effort could be to make this a pseudo-container with a dummy outer tag.  Then you can declare the "real control" as an ITemplate and serialize the designer markup using ControlPersister... but rather than serialize illegal ITemplate content, grab an internal property of the dummy container that returns the intended single child.

Anyways, I'm very disappointed I couldn't figure this one out.  I love an extreme challenge; it's why I code, and why and cruise forums for problems more interesting than my day to day drudgery, but this one has left me defeated.  Sorry I couldn't help.Crying

Does your team use the VSIP toolkit or maybe have the bulk of your app factored down to patterns and generators? Do you need in-house controls that will make your current vendors blush? If so, we need to talk.
0
Jonathan
1/10/2007 4:42:39 PM

Hello Jonathan,

thanks for your reply.

(BTW, you are right ms don't do magical stuff, i think they use their obsolete behavior object.
Anyway, I can't imagine that there is no proper replacement for Behavior.SetStyleAttribute. When they bring up the hint to use the Tag property instead it should be possible in any way, shouldn't it? But Tag.SetStyleAttribute doesn't exist.)

OK, i already did try to notify the designer of changes using this method:

1    internal void NotifyDesigner(string prop)
2            {
3
4                if (this.DesignMode)
5                {
6                    IDesignerHost idh = this.Site.Container as IDesignerHost;
7                    ControlDesigner designer = idh.GetDesigner(this) as ControlDesigner;
8                    PropertyDescriptor propDesc = null;
9
10                   try
11                   {
12                       propDesc = TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(this)[prop];
13                   }
14                   catch (Exception ex)
15                   {
16                       //throw ex;
17
18                   }
21                   ComponentChangedEventArgs ccea = new ComponentChangedEventArgs(this,propDesc,null,propDesc.Name);
22                   designer.OnComponentChanged(this, ccea);
23               }
24           }

Furthermore i did implement a  property in the control like this:

1    [Browsable(true),
2            DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden),
3            CategoryAttribute("Layout"),
4            DefaultValueAttribute(""),
5            RefreshProperties(RefreshProperties.Repaint),
6            EditorBrowsable(EditorBrowsableState.Never),
7            DesignOnly(true)]
8            public string WlkCssStyle
9            {
10               get
11               {
12                   string text = base.Attributes["Style"];
13                   if (text == null)
14                   {
15                       return String.Empty;
16                   }
17                   return text;
18               }
19               set
20               {
21                   base.Attributes["Style"] = value;
22                   NotifyDesigner();
23               }
24           }

which tells me in the property browser in design view that the style string is updated. And the control is also moved.

The problem is the same. The new value is not persisted into the style attribute of the custom control tag in source view.

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/10/2007 5:41:43 PM

OK, Jonathan,

forget about my last post since i didn't see your last post before i sent it.

Thank you very much for your help anyway!!!

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/10/2007 5:47:55 PM

BTW, just if you don't know about it, the best tool for reflection and a must have is Lutz Roeder's Reflector which is free and downloadable here:

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson
1/10/2007 5:55:42 PM

BTW, just if you don't know about it, the best tool for reflection and a must have is Lutz Roeder's Reflector which is free and downloadable here:

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

Thanks, Markus Koehler , Leipzig/Germany , EU
0
homersimpson

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem???
I have .NET 1.1 running on remote (dedicated) server.  I have just installed Net 2.0 and created a Hello-World App to test it.  It worked fine yesterday, but today when I try it again I get "Server Application Unavailable" My 1.1 web apps seem to be running ok.  The following message was in the event log.  "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process"Can someone please advise me how to run 1.1 and 2.0 web apps on the sam...

Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server?
Hi, We have been hosting an app on a server that has ASP and ASP.net 1.1 support.  We are now moving to an ISP that has ASP, ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 plans.  We will soon migrate the development environment to VS 2005.  However, today we use VS 2003.  My question is can we initially deply to a server that has .net 2.0 support?  Are the 2.0 libs fully backward compatible? jerry    You can deploy a 1.1 app to a server runnuing both 1.1 and 2.0 by setting the framework version for the application on the server.  You can deploy many (bu...

Help! Running .net 1.1 website on server with .net 2.0
Hi All,I have problems with running my .net version 1.1 website on a server that has .net version 2.0. Also my database is in sql server 2003 and on the server it is sql server 2005. The error that I am getting is: "unhandled exception..." and "invalid connection..."Please help! Kindly let me know if I have to modify my web.config file or other changes. (The website is working properly on my current server with sql server 2003 and .net framework version 1.1. ) Will let you know more details if required. Regards and thanks.  Hi, did you migrate your application to that server? If...

.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 on the same PC
I built my ASP.NET app and built it with .NET 1.1 I installed .Net 2.0 and now it will not function properly. How can I tell my App to use the .NET 1.1? Thanks for any help,Thank youJackxxx What tool are you using to code ASP.NET?Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4). The PC i am referring to is my test PC and it has no tools. But I used VS.net 2003 on my development PC. Thank you,Thank youJackxxx Hi, Unfortunately, you can not run two...

.net 2.0 v. .Net 1.1
Hi all:Im trying to figure out whether I should begin using 2.0 at this point.  Many people I spoke to have indicated that it may be too soon (for whatever reason-bugs, hosting availibility etc).  Can someone give the pros and cons at this point?  I just learned .net 1.1 and this would be the first time I've ever gone throught this sort of transition.  Also, what was frustrating about 1.1 is that some of the books that first came out had alot of problems with their code working.  Is there an authorotative book out yet with functioning examples?Any help would be ...

Upgrading from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi,We write ASP.NET applications for a large UK organisation for which we have two servers - a dev server and a live intranet server.  I would like to convince management to upgrade the .NET framework from 1.1 to 2.0 (and incidently VS2003 to VS2005).If we install the new version of the dotnet framework, will there be any issues with our existing 1.1 applications?  If so, what will the issues likely to be?Your help is greatly appreciated.Ryan Penfold, Truro, UK. Two versions can coexist, so you shouldn't have any issues. So far we have not had any real issues with asp.net 1.1 a...

.NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 on the same machine
Hi All, I have .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 framework on my machine.  Now, I want to uninstall .NET 1.1 to have more free HD space.  Please tell if I can do it without any trouble for the .NET 2.0? Thank you very much.  Pardon me for a newbie question.  elearner Start > Control Panel > Add remove programs > remove .NET Framework 1.1! Im sure its not taking up that much space tho!? :PDavid Kiffhttp://DavidKiff.co.uk-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you -- Hi, Well I don't think it should cause any problem because of them are installed in seper...

Web resources about - Replace the .NET 1.1 Behavior-Object with the .NET 2.0 Tag-Object , How to? - asp.net.custom-server-controls

Video: Framework to characterize the collective behavior of a large number of macroscopic objects
Video: Framework to characterize the collective behavior of a large number of macroscopic objects