overrides and implementing on a page

Ok, I want to override a MenuItem's Render() method.  (Specifically, I want to eliminate the && (num < this._owner.MaximumDepth) segment in order to manually control whether an item's children get rendered.)  So, on my codebehind, I have a derived class: class AtomicMenuItem : MenuItem with the override method.  Now, my question is, how do I implement the new class on my page?

<asp:Menu ID="nav_Left" runat="server" MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="0">
    <Items>
        <asp:MenuItem Text="Home" Value="Home"></asp:MenuItem>
        <asp:AtomicMenuItem Text="My Account" Value="My Account" >
            <asp:MenuItem Text="Change Password" Value="Change Password"></asp:MenuItem>
        </asp:AtomicMenuItem>
        <asp:MenuItem Text="Resources" Value="Resources"></asp:MenuItem>
    </Items>
</asp:Menu>

0
end

Or, maybe I can't do this because MenuItem is a sealed class... Is there a way to extend/override methods on sealed classes?
0
end
4/29/2009 5:43:52 PM

end-user:
Is there a way to extend/override methods on sealed classes?

No we cannot derive from a sealed classes. If you can clarify your requirement we can discuss on it to see if there's another way to achieve it.

Sincerely,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

Allen

Creating .Net custom server controls and .Net pages programatically
Thanks a lot for reading this and greatly appreciate your inputs I am writing a webinterface that lets users configure options that'll create an interface for them and generete the webpage. So I am having to programattically create custom server controls and .Net page with code behind to support the functionality. Are there APIs in the .NET SDK that let you do this. Any pointers would be greatly helpful Thanks a lot Sathya Controls on the fly? Or Create code on the fly? I think it is the latter so here we go - look at the following namespaces: * System.Reflection.Emit - gen...

how to add a server control to a page from other server control
I have a control that needs to be added at a precise location on a web form using a server control i designed. I tried to add the control using this.Controls.add(controlName) but its just appending to the existing control. Is there a way to add a control to another control at a precise location?  I think adding it to a string builder is a feasible option for me, but I guess I cant do that. any suggestions as to how to implement it please? in one control you add PlaceHolder, And Create one Public property which return PlaceHolder..  then when you add the control in Web For...

How to create custom properties for aspx page which should refelect in design time properties window itself.( as like as custom server control).
Hi. I need to create the custom properties for aspx page itself where those custom properties should refelet in the properties window at the design time as like as other custom server controls. I tried pageBase class which will have cusom properties for page and inherited that pageBase to my aspx page . But its refelecting the code  behind file not in design time. I need to accss those aspx page custom properties at the design time itself in properties window as like as other custom server control.I appriciate your help. [FYI: my scenerio is customer ...

Overriding Visibility on Custom Server Control
I'm creating a custom server control, and am having trouble overriding the visibility property.  What I would like to do is to override the property and set the value to a private bool that I can then check against.  If the control is then set to false, I'd like to run a chunk of code that inserts some javascript our master page needs to compensate for the missing control while still preventing the markup from rendering.  For whatever reason it seems my private bool is being set properly in the override get/set but the control still shows respects the visible=false req...

Custom Control: Calling a function on calling page FROM a custom control ? help !!
I have a custom control placed on many pages, to make things simple, basically what I want to do is Call a function on the calling page from the custom control ieAnyone have any ideas, simple solution would be good !!  This is the code I have myControl.ascx.vbPublic Partial Class myControl    Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl    Protected Sub testButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles testButton.Click        'call save function on PersonalDetails.aspx.vb  &...

Overriding width property on a custom server control
I have a custom web server control that consists of three dropdowns.  I am trying to override the Width property and set it to a default width of 128 pixels.  The property is defined as follows: <Bindable(True), Category("Appearance"), DefaultValue("128px")> Overrides Property [Width]() As Unit        Get            EnsureChildControls()            Return mWidth        End Get    &n...

Custom Server Control does not exist on page load
Hello.  I've been struggeling with this for quite some time now and really need some help.I've been building custom server controls for some time and have some bits of knowledge missing that is causing me som problems.Here's the situation.  I built a custom server control that returns a control that consits of an ASP.NET Textbox, Ajaxcontrol toolkit watermark extender, and image and a bunch of other stuff.  The end result being a "Filter TextBox" that is used to apply filters on GridViews.  The problem is that when the gridview OnLoad event fires to ...

Custom server control
I am trying to create a simple generic pager control. I want to get the current page index from the querystring of the parent page that contains this pager control. I built the control and try to drop it on an aspx page, it shows an error. It's because of this line in the render method (no error if I comment this line out), where I retrieve the current page index from the page querystring. Like this: HttpContext.Current.Request.QueryString["page"] The error is 'object reference not set to an instance of an object'. There is no request object or parent page or querystring at design...

Custom Server Control launching new page
I am developing a new custom server control, my first. It is essentially a table that displays information about a server. What I want to do is to include in the control a link to open a new web page to perform a task, such as pinging the server. So you would click on an icon in the server control and a new window would popup displaying the pinging results in it. I would like to keep this "sub page" within the server control itself. I know I could just create a new web page and insert a link into my control. You could use some JavaScript trickery and open a new window using the window.sho...

Building .NET Custom Server Controls and distribution
Can anyone tell me the best practice for distributing custom controls or controls that have been developed from inheriting server controls? I am curious how other companies support a custom library of objects developed by developers within an enterprise. At my company we follow the naming standards put forth by Microsoft: CompanyName.AppName.LayerName Example: Say I developed a Drop Down List that is used to display every year from 2004 to DateTime.Now in ascending order from inheriting the Web Server Control Drop Down List.  After a committee of other developers have tested and app...

Web resources about - overrides and implementing on a page - asp.net.custom-server-controls

Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Passed the House on January 9, 2007 (299-128 Roll call vote 015 , via Clerk.House.gov) Reported by the joint conference committee on July 25, ...

Hearing on “Reviewing the Rules and Regulations Implementing Federal Wage and Hour Standards.” - YouTube ...
SUBCOMMITTEE ON WORKFORCE PROTECTIONS hearing at 10:30 a.m. in room 2175 Rayburn House Office Building. Hearing on “Reviewing the Rules and Regulations ...

Iran, U.S., EU begin implementing historic nuclear deal
Iran unplugged banks of centrifuges involved in its most sensitive uranium enrichment work on Monday, prompting the United States and European ...

Iraq to talk with Syria on implementing AL deal
Iraq on Thursday agreed with the Arab League (AL) to try to convince Syria to implement the bloc's initiative in a bid to avoid economic sanctions ...

Iran says differences over implementing nuclear deal solved: negotiator
Montreal Gazette Iran says differences over implementing nuclear deal solved: negotiator People's Daily Online Global TimesChinadaily.com.cn ...

China, Kazakhstan to enhance cooperation by implementing Silk Road initiative
China, Kazakhstan to enhance cooperation by implementing Silk Road initiative

Guess? exec says company saw immediate improvements after implementing iPads in stores
BusinessInsider pointed us to an interview on OpenForum with CIO of clothing retailer Guess?, Michael Relich. The company implemented iPads for ...

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: MCSO implementing 'patriotic' campaign with US flag at each cell
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office announced it started a campaign to display U.S. flags on every cell among its jails. Any vandalism will ...

Change Has Come: OFCCP Publishes Final Rule Implementing Executive Order Prohibiting Federal Contractors ...
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (“OFCCP”) published a final rule today, implementing Executive ...