CompositeControl - Value could not be set on Property

Hello everyone,

I am working on a composite control and I have a public property called ButtonText:

[Category("Appearance")]
[DefaultValue("Get an Image")]
[Description("The text for the button"]
public string ButtonText
{
 get
 {
  EnsureChildControls();
  return _btnGetImage.Text;
 }
 set
 {
  EnsureChildControls();
  _btnGetImage.Text = value;
 }
}

private Button _btnGetImage;

[PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty)]
public ITemplate ItemTempalte { get; set; }

{
Controls.Clear();
if(_ItemTemplate != null && DesignMode)
{
  _ItemTemplate.InstantiateIn(this);
}
}

Everything works fine up until i convert the control to a template, once I convert it to tempalte I get an error message saying:
'Get an Image' could not be set on property 'ButtonText'.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on? I've spent hours trying to figure out this thing.

0
dotNet_Student

Could you tell me how to reproduce this exception?

dotNet_Student:
once I convert it to tempalte

How do you do this?

Sincerely,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

Allen
5/4/2009 6:31:31 AM

Hey Allen,

 In the visual studio (design time) I hover over the control and select the smart tag > convert to template

 Same way you would convert an ASP.NET LoginControl etc into template. Please let me know if anything else needs clarification.

Thanks!

0
dotNet_Student

Set up property editors for a custom server control
I built a custom web server control which has a FormView property. When I drop the control on a web form, the FormView property is visible in the designer. Its value shows 'None' and the dropdownlist for this property is empty. The dropdownlist should contain all FormView controls which are on the web form. How can I fill the dropdownlist in the designer with all FormView controls? Now I cannot edit the property with anything, although the FormView property has a setter. Should I mark the property with some kind of attribute? Nils GrusonMicrosoft .NET Consultant (MCPD)LogicaYou don&#...

Custom Server Control

Using Enums to set Custom Server Control Properties
Hi All.I have a rather large project I'm working on. We have a custom control that basically ends up to be a dropdown. This custom control have 3 public properties that are Enums, which are defined in a seperate class libary. We are using the custom control in many of our User controls, which all inherit from a "BaseUserControl" class. We want the developers to be able to use our custom control and set the three enums values in the source part of the ascx file. Then we want to define a method in the "BaseUserControl" that will load data into the dropdown from the data...

Property is not setting in custom control property
hi ,         I am adding an image control programmatically in a webpartzone which is adding successfully but the properties i am setting in image control are not setting .following is the code that i am using .the code 'img.ImageUrl = "~/images/atlas_title.jpg"     do not set the property in it.Dim webmgr As WebPartManager = WebPartManager.GetCurrentWebPartManager(Me)Dim img As New Web.UI.WebControls.Imageimg.ID = "Img"'img.ImageUrl = "~/images/atlas_title.jpg"     ...

How to create custom properties for aspx page which should refelect in design time properties window itself.( as like as custom server control).
Hi. I need to create the custom properties for aspx page itself where those custom properties should refelet in the properties window at the design time as like as other custom server controls. I tried pageBase class which will have cusom properties for page and inherited that pageBase to my aspx page . But its refelecting the code  behind file not in design time. I need to accss those aspx page custom properties at the design time itself in properties window as like as other custom server control.I appriciate your help. [FYI: my scenerio is customer ...

custom property style for a custom server control
Can I add a proerty for style on my asp .net custom server control, seems to be one for everything else. Or do you have to go do one style at a time: backgroundColor, Font, etc....

adding custom properties to a custom server control
1.  I want to add a public property to a custom server control.  the property is called Search Type and the possible choices that will appear in the properties window from the asp.net page would be client, provider, vendor and service.  I want this property to function much like the border style property works for an asp.net button. 2.  My second question would be how do I add a section to the properties window?  What i mean is for this custom server control, i want to add a section called Search Features much like the appearance or behavior sections for an asp.net ...

Custom Server Control Design Time Property Shows "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
The property "ReferenceValue" from my code below keeps showing an error in the properties window as above. The control however functions perfectly otherwise. 1 Imports System 2 Imports System.Web 3 Imports System.Web.UI 4 Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls 5 Imports Capr.Web.UI.ControlInterfaces 6 7 8 Namespace Controls 9 10 Public Class WMSTextBox 11 Inherits System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox 12 Implements ICaprBaseControl 13 14 Public Sub New() 15 End Sub 16 17 Public P...

Creating .Net custom server controls and .Net pages programatically
Thanks a lot for reading this and greatly appreciate your inputs I am writing a webinterface that lets users configure options that'll create an interface for them and generete the webpage. So I am having to programattically create custom server controls and .Net page with code behind to support the functionality. Are there APIs in the .NET SDK that let you do this. Any pointers would be greatly helpful Thanks a lot Sathya Controls on the fly? Or Create code on the fly? I think it is the latter so here we go - look at the following namespaces: * System.Reflection.Emit - gen...

Custom server control with databound property failing to rebuild controls...
Hi, I've written a custom server control (radiobuttonlist) which has a property that is populated by a databound parent control (ie the value is passed through when the parent control is data bound). The custom server control creates it's contents based on the value that is passed. This works ok on the first creation as I use the Render method to populate the control, but when a command (save) is called on the parent control, the render method is not called and the custom control doesn't populate. I've tried many different ways to do what I need to do but all attem...

Custom UI Control losing information of nested controls upon Set of some its properties
 Hi there, I have created a custom web control, aptly name MyLinkButton. The ascx looks like this:<asp:LinkButton ID="lnkLinkButton" runat="server" OnClick="lnkLinkButton_Click" OnCommand="lnkLinkButton_Command">    <span>        <asp:Literal ID="ltlLinkText" runat="server" />    </span></asp:LinkButton> When you set any of it's properties, it internally sets the property of the lnkLinkButton control with the exception o...

Web resources about - CompositeControl - Value could not be set on Property - asp.net.custom-server-controls

Scott Banwart - .NET - Scott Banwart
Scott Banwart - The Rogue Technologist About Me .NET BizTalk Books Business Cloud Development Distributed Weekly Integration Linux Meta Ruby ...