Menu Css Control Adapter

Hi everybody, i have been working with menu css control adapter of .net 2.0, but i'm having some troubles to use it. I have a vertical menu and in forward of the menu i have a swf file (Flash). what happens is that the menu it appears in the back of the swf file and it's menu subitems is  unreachable.   How can i fix it???? Please Someone ......

Thanks in advanced...

0
Pexim
1/5/2007 11:29:35 AM
asp.net.css-control-adapters 905 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I had the same problem with my menu not displaying from my master page over the top of image in the content place holder, i got around this by putting the menu and the content in DIV with the correct Z-Index set and all was well after that, i would suggest wrapping the menu and SWF in the same and see how that goes.
0
Hope4sun
1/5/2007 2:34:26 PM

I went through the demo, read the white paper, and in general understand how this works. I get what the adapter is doing and I understand all the moving parts. What I can never understand is IE6's implementation of CSS. I installed all the necessary files into an existing website and made my own css file to style up the Menu control and it all looks and works just as I would want in Firefox...and then I opened it in IE and not only does it triple the height of the containing DIV, but it completely disappears altogether and nothing I do, whether setting the z-index to 10, or making all the div's surrounding it have transparent backgrounds, can cause it to show up. So I am in a position where I can't even really start to debug it because I can't see what it is doing, which, you know really sucks. WHat do I have to do, completely backwards develop a website layout that I spent over a week putting together just so I can start to debug IE? Anyone have any good suggestions or run into this already? Thanks for any advice.

0
thenoseknows
1/10/2007 10:24:18 PM

Ok, after some floundering around I got it working.

The problem was the conditional comment that told the browser to use a browser specific stylesheet for any IE version less than 7. For the demo site that browser specific stylesheet worked, and I assume was necessary to achieve the presentation they were after. This however was not necessary for my menu. I was able to code one stylesheet that worked for Firefox, Safari and IE6, so I ripped out that conditional comment because it wasn't necessary in my case.

So I guess as a general rule of thumb it makes more sense to start developing your stylesheet without any browser specifics and see how far you can go. If you can get it it all the way with all the browsers you are required to support, then you are good to go. If necessary deviate where necessary with styles here and there for specific browsers using the pattern demonstrated in the demo site. This of course is common sense when I develop stylesheets normally, but for some reason when I saw that demo with it's browser specific stylesheet for IE6 I incorrectly assumed I would need one too! Thats what I get for following the example a little too closely.

Anyway, I wanted to also say I think I am a bit of a fan of this pattern. I was never happy with the default way of setting all those properties in the Menu control server tag and digging through horrible nested table code to try to figure out how to write my CSS in the cases that the existing properties couldn't produce the desired presentation. This is probably how all of these web controls should have been implemented in the first place. They should all have sort of a default adapter. Sometimes I think the ASP.NET team designed with the idea of simplifying things a little too much so you can get some cheesy results really fast, but in doing so they end up making developers jobs more complex in the long run when meeting real requirements.

Anyway, better late than never. I love it so far. I will keep messing around with it and using it where I can. I look forward to the final implementation.

0
thenoseknows
1/11/2007 5:38:30 AM

It's interesting that you found that the conditionally commented style sheet actually interfered with your rendering.  I've never found that to be true before but I can certainly believe it could happen.  Usually people start building menus by imitating how the menu was built in one of the kit's samples. Then they slowly modify the styles for that menu to make it look like they want.  In such cases, you do want to retain the conditionally commented style sheet because it really is necessary. No one size fits all, obviously.  So I'm glad that folks are posting the implemetation pattern alternatives.  Good luck to you and everyone else.

BTW, problems with menus being behind things are sometimes due to a lack of position:relative on certain important parts of the DOM.  Please consider what you see in this posting, http://forums.asp.net/thread/1518576.aspx

Russ Helfand
Groovybits.com
0
Russ

Reagrding using FILTER in (MenuExample.css) CSS adapter classes for Menu control
Hello everyone, Whenever I use filter: in any of the CSS calss for the MENU control using CSS adapters, it only renders the first level of the menu, all subsequent levels are not even displayed. I want to use filter for some transparency effect, but using it is not rendering any child menu's. Following is a example - .PrettyMenu .AspNet-Menu-Vertical { position:absolute; top: 87px; left: 0px; width:200px; z-index: 300; filter:alpha(Opacity=50); } Now it only shows first level and rest of the menus are not displayed, if I remove filter, it works fine but without transparency. Rep...

Is CSS Control Adapters compatible with WebPart and WebPartZone controls?
Both WebPart and WebPartZone ultimately derive from WebControl, so it seems like this would work, but before I got into it deeply, was curious if anyone had tried it and if there are any issues? I don't think there is an esay way to make it works. This was a reply from Scott Guthrie: Unfortunately I don't think there is a super easy way to override WebParts -- since some of the layout does assume tables (since the CSS to-do this positioning with divs isn't super easy).  We are going to look at whether it is possible to build another control adapter for webparts in the f...

CSS Adapter Menu Control Problem
I am using the CSS Adapter Menu Control. I have a menu on the page and is styled by the following CSS file:  /* This style sheet is intended to contain OFTEN CHANGED rules used when the Menu control adapter is enabled. */ /* The menu adapter renders an unordered list (ul) in HTML for each tier in the menu. */ /* So, effectively says: style all tiers in the menu this way... */ ..globalnav { font-family:Arial; font-size: 1em; z-index: 300; } /* The menu adapter generates a list item (li) in HTML for each menu item. */ /* Use this rule create the common appea...

CSS Menu Adapter + Ajax Control Toolkit
Hi all, I am facing a problem while using CSS control adapters in my Ajax enabled website.Could anybody please suggest me how to move forward in this scenario.  Thanks Anuradha Well, first- what problems are you facing?"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." — Margaret Fuller...

CSS Control Adapters
I was thinking to implement menu like on www.auctiva.com using CSS Control Adapters. How would I do it?The enu would have two bars:1) Main bar - tabs 2 Second bar with submenu items, all links horizontallyRafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct Anybody can help?Rafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct ...

CSS control adapters
I've just seen another thread mentioning these which reminded me that I couldn't install the blighters. A couple of questions first tho.  The VSI file that I download won't load/install, it comes up with "string cannot have zero length".  ANybody any ideas on what may be going wrong? Second question is on how these get deployed on my remote server, will I be able to use them without access to the core asp library directories (if that makes sense). To fix the VSI installer problem, see this posting, http://forums.asp.net/thread/1492405.aspx. To deploy the adapters you do not ...

Menu Control and CSS "Friendly" Adapter
 Here's my situation, I've been searching for about 2 weeks to try to do this without any luck. My limited knowledge of ASP doesn't help but I should have found an answer by now because it seems so simple. So here it is. I'm using the menu control and the CSS Friendly Control Adapters 2.0 to make it a bit easier to apply CSS to. ShowStartingNode is set to false because I want to see the whole menu. I have the menu just how I want it. Now, I want to be able to hide certain nodes in the menu. Not so users cant access them (some people have suggested using access cont...

Free design ready CSS Adapter Menu Control
If you are quite struggling with design head over at http://aspnetdesigns.blogspot.com/ and download the menu control. Free design ready CSS Control Adapters...

Another menu is not displaying in IE6 using css control adapters
Hi: What am I doing wrong?I've copied the CSS, JavaScript, App_Code/Adapter folders to the Asp.net Web Site project.I've copied the App_browsers/CSSFirendlyAdapters.browser and commented out all other controlAdapters but      <adapter controlType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu"               adapterType="CSSFriendly.MenuAdapter" />The page source looks right but the menu displays on IE7, FF2 but not IE6  <div class="AspNet-Menu-Horizontal"&g...

VS2008 Menu control and the Control Adapters
Has anyone experienced problems using the control adapters with the menu control in VS2008?  In VS2005 no problems.  In VS2008 the menu is fully expanded and will not collapes.  Also looks like it has some width issues.  Some of the wider menu items run right of the box.  I think it's basing the width on the first item in the list. well i tried to use css control adapter using cascading checkboxes tree menu.But when I use response.redirect then it throws index out of bounds exception onbool bExpand = (state[0] == 'e');do you have any idea about this?&nb...

Trouble controlling .net controlls with CSS
 I am trying to control the :hover css property on <asp: Button> controls. Basically the css is working correctly to set the initial look of the button, but nothing is happening when I hover over the button. Here is my code:CSS:.sidebarButton{    width: 168px;     height: 45px;     background-color: #666666;     text-align: left;    font-weight: bold;    font-family: Century Gothic;    font-size: 13pt;    color: White;    border-style: none;  ...

Right to left dynamic vertical menu with CSS Friendly Control Adapters.
.net 2.0I'm trying to apply CSS Friendly Control Adapter for my right to left dynamic menu (<asp:menu> .net 2.0)It is not a standard menu (first static menu level is placed in the right part of the page, and next levels open up to the left (toward the center of the page) and not to the right (outside of the page in this case)I usually make it putting < asp:menu > inside a < td > with attribute dir=rtl  for example: < td dir=rtl width=264 align=left style = 'height:164; background-image:url (imag/fondoMenu.gif)'; >  &nbs...

has anyone able to use the Friendly css menu control/adapter.kit
I recently download this kit but 'm bit loss on how to get it to setup  a menu control/ navcontrl .Is there anyone  could point me in the right direction  on this kit. I was thinking of just going out and purchase a menu/nav control software but i was told i can do alot with this and best of all it's free Did you read the walkthrough? It needs some steps to get it to work (copying script and css files etc.) so the project was taken over and is now hosted on codeplex. The main difference right now is that the download from codeplex is easier to install becau...

CSS Friendly Adapters, Menu Control vs. DTML Jquery scripts, etc.
I am looking to have a general-purpose multilevel menu.  I have played with the CSS Friendly Adapters and got the menu control working, but should I just use one of the DHTML/JQuery opensource menus that are widespread?  Does using the CSS Friendly .NET menu control really gain me any advantage to offset the headache involved?  Maybe I can just insert my own server-side tags in the DHTML/JQuery menus.  I need some objective advice please!Tx,Matt Go Jquery.  I put a jquery menu on my site master page now I have jquery available on every page. google provides d...

Web resources about - Menu Css Control Adapter - asp.net.css-control-adapters

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Atlassian battles Slack for control of the modern workplace
Atlassian went public only a week ago, and already a new front has opened up in its battle with a key competitor.

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Victoria bushfires: Out-of-control blazes in Victoria as heatwave continues across southern Australia ...
Victoria's Country Fire Authority says houses are likely to be impacted by a 3,000-hectare bushfire west of Melbourne.

Stringify your life by taking control and automating tasks
... Adobe Post or If you can think it, you can create it in Scribblenauts Unlimited . Stringify IF by IFTTT Stringify your life by taking control ...

How to engage Tesla's Launch Control mode
Filed under: Green , Videos , Tesla , Electric Short video shows Model S keeping it straight on a rain-slicked road.

Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games
Breitbart News Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games Breitbart News Riot Games, the creators of ...

China's Xi on cyberspace control
Chinese President Xi Jinping defended his country's right to censor Internet content, signaling confidence in the strategy.

San Bernardino Gun Control Poll
Would Tougher Gun Control Laws Prevent Mass Shootings In California? [question q=”1″] [email][submit] *Completing this poll entitles you to Daily ...