Installing the CSS Friendly Control Adapters

I'm having trouble understanding on how to install the CSS Control Adapters. Could someone explain to me what I need to do? I have tried to do what the implementation said to do, but I can not get anything to work. If anyone has a step by step tutorial that would be great. No icon shows up under the My Templates in the New web Site window. I'm using Visual Studio 2005.

Thanks

Randy

0
RandyShoe
9/9/2008 3:38:10 AM
asp.net.css-control-adapters 905 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are using the Microsoft release (1.0), then tutorials are available at http://www.asp.net/CSSAdapters/Default.aspx. (Personally, I don't use this release, and I don't use the Visual Studio template, but if you install this version, you should see the templates in Visual Studio.)

If you are using a CodePlex version, the steps you need to take are on the project home page (http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly).

- brian
- blog: www.sidesofmarch.com
0
bdemarzo
9/9/2008 7:45:18 PM

 brian:

Both of the links go to the same Codeplex area. Is there an area I missing

 Thanks

Randy

0
RandyShoe
9/10/2008 7:22:08 PM

 Actually, both links are different:

  1. http://www.asp.net/CSSAdapters/Default.aspx
  2. http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly
Same product, different versions / implementations.

- brian
- blog: www.sidesofmarch.com
0
bdemarzo
9/10/2008 7:36:01 PM

 Brian:

 I have gone to both web areas. I have click on the download button they both take me to www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly. I have downloaded the following files cssfriendly-16291.zip and the other is CSSFriendly_1[1].0.zip. I have opened up the files form both sites and they are exactly the same. Both sites say the same thing about how to set up the files. I know I am driving you crazy, but I do appreciate your help. All of these files look the same as the one I originally downloaded. I just want to find the right files and setup documents.

Thanks

Randy

0
RandyShoe
9/10/2008 8:27:50 PM

Ah my apologies -- I didn't realize the asp.net web site directs you to the CodePlex site!

OK, if someone has the original installer for the CSS Adapters, please send it to me so I can add it to CodePlex. (!)

- brian
- blog: www.sidesofmarch.com
0
bdemarzo
9/10/2008 8:36:19 PM

I have the same problem as RandyShoe. Help please.

0
abhishekbrowne
9/29/2008 11:22:49 AM

The tutorial on the http://www.asp.net/cssadapters is not valid if you are using the CodePlex distribution, as the CodePlex distribution does not have an installer.

That being said, it's easy to implement the adapters:

  1. Create your web project normally.
  2. Follow the "Implementation" steps at http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly

Hopefully that helps.

- brian
- blog: www.sidesofmarch.com
0
bdemarzo
9/30/2008 2:34:26 PM

I seem to be having the same problem.

I am looking for an installation which shows VB examples of the implementation.  I am working in VS2008.

I went to www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly - [Release tab] and downloaded the zip, dll and browser files but am struggling to get them to work.  Also the zip file is a C# example.  I could really use a VB example.

www.asp.net/cssadapters/WalkThru/WalkThrough.aspx#DownloadAndInstall looks like a great example which installs VB versions of the samples and scanning through the page looks like exactly what I need!  But, clicking on the "Download source" button on the www.asp.net/cssadapters page (as the walkthrough directs) does not take me to a download of ASPNETCssFriendlyAdapters_Beta2.vsi.  Instead it goes to the www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly page I mention in the previous paragraph and I am stuck there again.

If I could just get a good working example of the adapters using VB I could give this a try in my other applications.

Please advise.  Thanks!

Scott

0
danceschu
10/7/2008 2:46:28 PM

 The CodePlex version doesn't have the installers as outlined on the aforementioned site.

You can download the beta2.vsi from http://bryongaskin.net/tools/downloads/ASPNETCssFriendlyAdapters_Beta2.vsi

- brian
- blog: www.sidesofmarch.com
0
bdemarzo
10/8/2008 9:12:39 PM

Yes, that is what I was looking for.  I installed it and am going through it now.  Thank you!

Scott

0
danceschu

Don't see CSS Friendly Control Adapters templates after vsi install
I've run the CSS Friendly Control Adapters installer but don't see any  templates or toolbox entries pertaining to these adapters in VWD2008. The files (like ASPNETCssFriendlyAdaptersCS.zip) are installed in My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer .Thanks for any help with this.    I did a repair install from Add/Remove Programs. At that point a number of templates appeared including the CSSFriendly Control Adapters...

Is CSS Control Adapters compatible with WebPart and WebPartZone controls?
Both WebPart and WebPartZone ultimately derive from WebControl, so it seems like this would work, but before I got into it deeply, was curious if anyone had tried it and if there are any issues? I don't think there is an esay way to make it works. This was a reply from Scott Guthrie: Unfortunately I don't think there is a super easy way to override WebParts -- since some of the layout does assume tables (since the CSS to-do this positioning with divs isn't super easy).  We are going to look at whether it is possible to build another control adapter for webparts in the f...

How do I use CSS Friendly Control Adapters
I’ve been reading a lot on the CSS Friendly Control Adapters and I getting a lot of conflicting and confusing information.   There seems to be two approaches to the use of these which appears to derives from there being two implementations. An older version which involved running a vsi file which I can’t seem to find in the package. And a later method which seems to only involve adding a refrence to the dll file and adding a App_Browsers folder and placing the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file in the folder.  Here’s an example, I’m looking at a page from this site, “ASP.NET 2.0 ...

Multiple CSS Friendly Control Adapters
Greetings! I have an ASP.NET 3.5 CSS friendly menu control adapter in use that works perfectly.  However, whenever I drop down a DataList or TreeView onto the page, I am not able to apply any direct styling to the object.  And when I try changing the control to get its styling from a CSS like the menu does, that doesn't work either.  Anyone know what's going on? Thanks much, albarossa Hallo! I was able to get the TreeView to respond to style changes by copying and pasting the source code of a sample TreeView (from the MS tutorial).  However, no matter w...

CSS Friendly Control Adapters
I moved all of the membership to a web service which works fine for all of the control adapters except the Loginstatus control.  When I use it, once the website loads the adapters.dll file it kills the application trying to attach SQL Express to a database in App_Data (the folder is created if it does not exist).  No other "membership" controls have the failure and everything works fine with membership as a web service except for the loginstatus control. If I remove the adapters.browser file it all works fine.  If I remove the loginstatus adapter from the adapters.b...

CSS Friendly Control Adapter for Repeater ?
Hello!I've simple question - is there any way to aplay this nice control to the Repeater Control ? If yes - so how?  Thanks :)  I'm confused as to why you need CSS Control Adapters for the Repeater?!?  The Css Control Adapters take the bloated markup .NET creates for its standard controls and cleans them up.  With Repeaters, there is no output unless you define it.  All you need to do is add CSS classes where you want them in your markup.When your question has been sufficiently answered, please be sure to mark your question as answered. Also, please share...

Install - Update
 ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters 1.0 [1] have been released but I observed not much has been documented about installing - updating when instances of the adapters released as beta are already installed. Is there anything to be concerned abou?   [1] http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/<%= clintonG Hi Clinton, you are right.  To be completely honest, Heidi and I "punted" on this because there are so many possible ways that people modify adapters and configuration that we worried that any formula we provided would end up messing up at least some people. ...

GridViewHelper AND CSS Friendly Control Adapters
Can someone help me with gridviewhelper?  What I'm trying to do is group a gridview by a column, using the GridViewHelper [http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/gridviewhelper_en.htm] by agrinei. When I try to apply grouping in a Page_Loadprotected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { GridViewHelper helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1); helper.RegisterGroup("ShipRegion", true, true); helper.ApplyGroupSort(); }it will hide the column, but the new row with the name of a column group wont be created.I have been testing chaging some ...

ChangePassword control and CSS Friendly Adapters
 Hi, I have difficulty getting ChangePassword control to work properly, ie, user enters correct current password and valid new password, new password is updated in DB but control shows error. I appreciate that this error is caused by double postback and have read threads such as http://forums.asp.net/p/1100637/1672132.aspx detailing the solutions. How can I go about implementing the code in the above-mentioned thread? Where should I place them?  Thanks. Hi You may contact steve harman by a private email for help, However, try to use MembershipUser.ChangePass...

CSS Friendly Control Adapter Method Benefits ?
 Hi,Can you say that, Whats benefits of this method(i.e, CSS Friendly Control Adapter) for create an web application ?Thanks... MJ_Developer  The benefit is that they create css based markup instead of using tables.While the code that asp.net is technically standards compliant it still violates the idea that we shouldnt use the table tag for layout, it should only be used to present tabular data.The benefits to using tableless, css markup is that file sizes are small, it works consistently on more browsers, its accessible to visually impaired people, etc etc etc. More eloquent li...

RadioButtonList and CSS Friendly Control Adapters Newbie
I have seen several postings in this thread on the an adapter for the standard ASP.NET 2.0 RadioButtonList.  My question is, are any of these stable enough or after I implement it, am I going to come across issues that will pose significant functionality issues and if it is stable enough, what do I do with the source that is posted? Does that mean that I open up the project for the DLL, insert the source somewhere (if so, where does it go) and the have to recompile it?  My apologies for my ignorance, I have just been exploring options for the inflexibility of the RadioButtonList c...

CSS Friendly control adapter for checkbox list
Hi, Does anyone know if there is CSS Friendly control adapter for <asp:Checkboxlist> and if not, how do I go about making one for it -bdot"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't" Hi bdotjones, just a thought:If you set the RepeatLayout property of the standard CheckBoxList to "Flow", it will render a css friendly html output.I'm not sure if an adapter could improve the output too much, at least in regards of CSS. Cheers,Juan Juan BarreraMCTSPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" o...

CSS friendly control adapter
Hi All,                     I am using a css file to control the look and feel of the treeview. The issue is the connecting lines are not showing up between nodes. Can some body point out what change needs to be done to my css.   The css content is as below:   .SimpleEntertainmentTreeView div.AspNet-TreeView ul li {white-space: nowrap; padding: 1px 0 1px 0; font-size:inherit;   } .SimpleEntertainmentTreeView div.AspNet-TreeView ul ul {margin: 2px 0 2px 10px; } .Simple...

Reagrding using FILTER in (MenuExample.css) CSS adapter classes for Menu control
Hello everyone, Whenever I use filter: in any of the CSS calss for the MENU control using CSS adapters, it only renders the first level of the menu, all subsequent levels are not even displayed. I want to use filter for some transparency effect, but using it is not rendering any child menu's. Following is a example - .PrettyMenu .AspNet-Menu-Vertical { position:absolute; top: 87px; left: 0px; width:200px; z-index: 300; filter:alpha(Opacity=50); } Now it only shows first level and rest of the menus are not displayed, if I remove filter, it works fine but without transparency. Rep...

Web resources about - Installing the CSS Friendly Control Adapters - asp.net.css-control-adapters

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper