How do I use CSS Friendly Control Adapters

I’ve been reading a lot on the CSS Friendly Control Adapters and I getting a lot of conflicting and confusing information.

There seems to be two approaches to the use of these which appears to derives from there being two implementations. An older version which involved running a vsi file which I can’t seem to find in the package. And a later method which seems to only involve adding a refrence to the dll file and adding a App_Browsers folder and placing the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file in the folder.

Here’s an example, I’m looking at a page from this site, “ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters: The Walkthrough” and it begins with instructions to download the “source” and to then run the vsi file. No vsi file.

So further looking and I find advice to not use this release because it had some bugs and there have been improvements that don’t require this approach at all. Furthermore when I look on Microsoft’s Codeplex site it recommends just using the dll file and the .browser file. But that doesn’t appear to provide anything or if it does I can find no instructions on how to implement it.

So far I haven’t been able to get either of these methods to produce any discernable effect. Several of the things I’ve read say that there will be a new template in the New Web Site dialogue box. This I guess is produced from running the vsi file in the Source package which like I’ve mentioned doesn’t exist.

Is there any step-by-step information anywhere that doesn’t assume that I’m a seasoned programmer.

I should probably provide some background here.

I have been working on learning C# and ASP for about 3 months now. I have worked a fair bit with CSS and HTML and I have built a few CSS driven menus. Also I actually started on the C# part of this several months earlier but it has been perused in fits and starts due to numerous other demands and distractions. Because I’ve been absorbed mostly in the ASP part of this I haven’t had my hands in the C# for about 6 weeks now.

I’m using VS 2005

Thank you all for your help.

0
rcurington
4/30/2009 2:16:48 PM
asp.net.css-control-adapters 905 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I've just started using the css adapters myself and this is what i did:

  1. add reference to the dll
  2. copy and paste the browser file to App_Browsers folder

"discernable effect", i assume you mean the visual rendering is not as expected, try copying the css files that come with zipped source code to your project.

Hope this helps.

0
mustak173
4/30/2009 7:03:33 PM

OK I think I finally got what’s going on. Took me for ever to spot this. I checked the “View Source” from the rendered page and it is rendering the menu as a ul rather than a table. So I started with the menu.css sample file and did some tweaking to it and sure enough it is working.. So that’s cool, but I have another problem now. When the menu runs, the drop downs won’t stay visible when you move the cursor off of the top menu item. I’m pretty sure I’ve run into this when working with straight CSS menus but I don’t remember what the fix is.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thank you Mustak 173. It really was just that simple.

By discernable effect I meant that the examples I was looking at had a bunch of files that were added to the project that I wasn’t getting. Of course those files were part of the Source package which I was never able to implement due to no vsi file. I was never sure whether those extra file were necessary. Apparently they were not. Any way I think I’m almost there.

0
rcurington

Formal justification for using CSS-friendly control adapters
I have been asked to create a formal document justifying the use of the menu control adapter for our banking application and detailing what code is required to run the adapters.  In addition, I have been asked to demonstrate what it would take to back out the control adapters from a production environment, should they present issues in later browser or .net releases.Concerns expressed include questions about long-term support issues and adding to the complexity of the code base.Benefits raised include cleaner, more current/semantic html, more accessible html (required to comply with Sec...

Reagrding using FILTER in (MenuExample.css) CSS adapter classes for Menu control
Hello everyone, Whenever I use filter: in any of the CSS calss for the MENU control using CSS adapters, it only renders the first level of the menu, all subsequent levels are not even displayed. I want to use filter for some transparency effect, but using it is not rendering any child menu's. Following is a example - .PrettyMenu .AspNet-Menu-Vertical { position:absolute; top: 87px; left: 0px; width:200px; z-index: 300; filter:alpha(Opacity=50); } Now it only shows first level and rest of the menus are not displayed, if I remove filter, it works fine but without transparency. Rep...

has anyone able to use the Friendly css menu control/adapter.kit
I recently download this kit but 'm bit loss on how to get it to setup  a menu control/ navcontrl .Is there anyone  could point me in the right direction  on this kit. I was thinking of just going out and purchase a menu/nav control software but i was told i can do alot with this and best of all it's free Did you read the walkthrough? It needs some steps to get it to work (copying script and css files etc.) so the project was taken over and is now hosted on codeplex. The main difference right now is that the download from codeplex is easier to install becau...

Is CSS Control Adapters compatible with WebPart and WebPartZone controls?
Both WebPart and WebPartZone ultimately derive from WebControl, so it seems like this would work, but before I got into it deeply, was curious if anyone had tried it and if there are any issues? I don't think there is an esay way to make it works. This was a reply from Scott Guthrie: Unfortunately I don't think there is a super easy way to override WebParts -- since some of the layout does assume tables (since the CSS to-do this positioning with divs isn't super easy).  We are going to look at whether it is possible to build another control adapter for webparts in the f...

CSS Friendly Control Adapter for Repeater ?
Hello!I've simple question - is there any way to aplay this nice control to the Repeater Control ? If yes - so how?  Thanks :)  I'm confused as to why you need CSS Control Adapters for the Repeater?!?  The Css Control Adapters take the bloated markup .NET creates for its standard controls and cleans them up.  With Repeaters, there is no output unless you define it.  All you need to do is add CSS classes where you want them in your markup.When your question has been sufficiently answered, please be sure to mark your question as answered. Also, please share...

GridViewHelper AND CSS Friendly Control Adapters
Can someone help me with gridviewhelper?  What I'm trying to do is group a gridview by a column, using the GridViewHelper [http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/gridviewhelper_en.htm] by agrinei. When I try to apply grouping in a Page_Loadprotected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { GridViewHelper helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1); helper.RegisterGroup("ShipRegion", true, true); helper.ApplyGroupSort(); }it will hide the column, but the new row with the name of a column group wont be created.I have been testing chaging some ...

Installing the CSS Friendly Control Adapters
I'm having trouble understanding on how to install the CSS Control Adapters. Could someone explain to me what I need to do? I have tried to do what the implementation said to do, but I can not get anything to work. If anyone has a step by step tutorial that would be great. No icon shows up under the My Templates in the New web Site window. I'm using Visual Studio 2005. ThanksRandy   If you are using the Microsoft release (1.0), then tutorials are available at http://www.asp.net/CSSAdapters/Default.aspx. (Personally, I don't use this release, and I don't use the Vi...

ChangePassword control and CSS Friendly Adapters
 Hi, I have difficulty getting ChangePassword control to work properly, ie, user enters correct current password and valid new password, new password is updated in DB but control shows error. I appreciate that this error is caused by double postback and have read threads such as http://forums.asp.net/p/1100637/1672132.aspx detailing the solutions. How can I go about implementing the code in the above-mentioned thread? Where should I place them?  Thanks. Hi You may contact steve harman by a private email for help, However, try to use MembershipUser.ChangePass...

CSS Friendly Control Adapters
I moved all of the membership to a web service which works fine for all of the control adapters except the Loginstatus control.  When I use it, once the website loads the adapters.dll file it kills the application trying to attach SQL Express to a database in App_Data (the folder is created if it does not exist).  No other "membership" controls have the failure and everything works fine with membership as a web service except for the loginstatus control. If I remove the adapters.browser file it all works fine.  If I remove the loginstatus adapter from the adapters.b...

Multiple CSS Friendly Control Adapters
Greetings! I have an ASP.NET 3.5 CSS friendly menu control adapter in use that works perfectly.  However, whenever I drop down a DataList or TreeView onto the page, I am not able to apply any direct styling to the object.  And when I try changing the control to get its styling from a CSS like the menu does, that doesn't work either.  Anyone know what's going on? Thanks much, albarossa Hallo! I was able to get the TreeView to respond to style changes by copying and pasting the source code of a sample TreeView (from the MS tutorial).  However, no matter w...

Not using the embedded css in the dll of css friendly control adaptors
I'm trying to use the CSS friendly control adaptors for menus, but I'm finding the embedded css like "Menu.css" is getting in the way.  That embedded css also appears to be added to my page AFTER my linked style sheet, so I don't think I can simply override those styles with my styles.  I've added this to my project via the precompiled dll.  Is the any way to not use or override those embedded css files?  I believe the alternative is to download the source and change or remove the css before compiling, but that's a lot harder for me.  ...

How do I make only one control to use CSS Adapters
I would like to have only meny control to use CSS Adapters, I guess part of the problem is that it is on the master page. I want other controls on the same page not to use CSS Adapters. Is it possible to acomplish?Rafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct You can specify in a .browser file that a given control uses given adapter. For example: <controlAdapters markupTextWriterType="System.Web.UI.XhtmlTextWriter" >        <adapter          controlTy...

CSS friendly control adapter
Hi All,                     I am using a css file to control the look and feel of the treeview. The issue is the connecting lines are not showing up between nodes. Can some body point out what change needs to be done to my css.   The css content is as below:   .SimpleEntertainmentTreeView div.AspNet-TreeView ul li {white-space: nowrap; padding: 1px 0 1px 0; font-size:inherit;   } .SimpleEntertainmentTreeView div.AspNet-TreeView ul ul {margin: 2px 0 2px 10px; } .Simple...

Using CSS Control Adapter on an existing site
I've downloaded the CSS control adapater that is on this site and I would like to be able to apply all of the features it has in the template for a new site to an existing site, how is this done? Hi,Copy  App_Browsers folder, App_Code/Adapters, javascript and styles. No web.config changes necessary.Regards,Viktar KarpachMCTS .NET 2.0 Web Application, MCPD Web DeveloperASP.NET C# Technical Blog...

Web resources about - How do I use CSS Friendly Control Adapters - asp.net.css-control-adapters

Cycle Friendly Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first awards ceremony was held on 10 October 2003 and the awards have since been awarded annually. There are several categories (four initially, ...

Facebook Trying To Be More Advertiser Friendly
In an effort to gain more advertising money, Facebook has been testing ways to place more ads on pages . But the company also is doing what it ...

Enhanced Family and Children-Friendly Inflight Zone on Our New A380 Economy Main Cabin
Malaysia Airlines will soon join the league of A380 operators, when its first A380 takes to the skies on 1 July 2012. Although the national carrier ...

Facebook updates Ads Manager to make it more user-friendly
It’s no secret that Facebook is trying to make its advertising more accessible. The company has pared down its ad units and placed a focus on ...

Friendly's (@Friendlys) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Friendly's @ Friendlys U.S.A. ...

A friendly reminder about password security - Twitter Blogs
... moment to remind you of best practices... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs &nbsp A friendly ...

Friendly for Facebook for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Friendly for Facebook on the App Store. Download Friendly for Facebook ...

British Airways to make London’s Heathrow Apple Watch-friendly
... rapidly adopting Apple Watch for their boarding passes, and one airline has recognized that enough to prompt it into adopting new wrist-friendly ...

AMD announces powerful and wallet-friendly Radeon R9 380X graphics card
While Intel and Nvidia produce some amazing hardware, I always have a place in my heart for AMD. True, the company often lags behind Intel for ...

Electric cars: Norway's latest climate-friendly trend
The Norwegian government is encouraging drivers to buy electric cars by offering incentives that are hard to turn down