CSS Unfriendly Control Adapters

I don't find these  so-called CSS friendly adapters. I'm very good using css, but I'm like working in design view the most so I can see my design as I create sites. However, design view is useless when using these controls.  I'm having extreme difficulties when using Ajax also. Am I wrong, or is it just that I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Pro to develop sites using asp.net 3.5?

I just purchased VS Pro with a MSDN Subscription and paid about $3500. What a disapointment that the native controls adds everything in tables, and the CSS Friendly Controls are difficult to work with and use all Ajax options.

Do you know if the newest version of CSS unFriendly Control Adapters that is being developed is going to be any different in Design View? How 'bout VS 2010; anyone know if its any better?

Terry

0
VeganMan
5/1/2009 4:28:33 AM
asp.net.css-control-adapters 905 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sorry to say this but the fault is not with the adapters, but with VS itself. The design view in VS is useless. The only real value of the design view is to hook up handlers and datasources quickly. As far as layout of controls is concerned, it is shite. It's not just with the adapters, it's for css and javascript in general.

The best "design view" is keeping IE and FF open and continuously testing the page in the browsers while developing.

All that glitters is gold-
Only shooting stars break the mold.
0
HeartattacK
5/1/2009 5:32:40 AM

 LOL - I guess it depends from what point of view you're coming from. I value VS more than CSS Adapters... Guess a second monitor would be helpful to speed things up if I keep IE and FF always open.

0
VeganMan
5/1/2009 5:37:14 AM

VS definitely has value, but even without the adapters, the design view is still quite crap. You should not use that for laying out your page, as it will look very different in different browsers. Besides, if you use something like jQuery (or javascript) to assign styles (for unobtrusive css), the design view will not show any styling. Yo should always test the "look" of your webpage in real browsers. Design view is mainly for the convenience of assigning properties, easier set up of data controls, etc [at this point in time]. It is not to be considered as a real "preview" of your page.

All that glitters is gold-
Only shooting stars break the mold.
0
HeartattacK
5/1/2009 7:37:31 AM

Do you Know if Expression web is better when it comes working in Design View and CSS? And would I have any problems using Expression Web on existing sites previously created in VS?

0
VeganMan
5/1/2009 9:25:28 PM

Well lets put it this way...expression web is meant for designers and it probably fares slightly better. But if your app grabs some data from a web service via AJAX and displays stuff dynamically, there's no "design view" on earth that can handle that.

Another way of looking at this is that "design views" aside, different browsers render the output html differently. How can one design view attempt to mimick the look of the final output? If everything is static, inline without javascript and little to no css, design view should shouw what the IE output will be, but even that fails most of the time. Again, design view is not a "preview mode".

All that glitters is gold-
Only shooting stars break the mold.
0
HeartattacK
5/2/2009 4:18:29 AM

Well, you can't beat Dreamweaver CS4 with it comes to design view. It even has live view. The only reason why I started using VS is due to dreamweaver not adding asp.net 2.0+ support. I still use it time to time to add additions that VS doesn't provide.

I installed expression web a few hours ago. I'm not so impressed with that either. But it does have some nice options. I think using the 3 programs in my development will work for me.

 Despite me using Design mode, I never rely on it for the finished product. I always use different browsers for testing. But the pain of not having some preview, yuk.

Thanks for your help.

0
VeganMan
5/2/2009 4:34:41 AM

Having a "live view" isn't always great while developing. Suppose your app grabs some data from an amazon feed. Would you want to wait while the feed is downloaded every time you wished to set a property or were binding a different control that has nothing to do with the amazon feed?

For me, I hand code nearly all of the layout code. As such, VS + browsers for testing does it for me Smile

All that glitters is gold-
Only shooting stars break the mold.
0
HeartattacK
5/2/2009 5:18:24 AM

But that's one of the benefits of live view while you design, even when with downloaded from content from amazon feed. You design live... I've used it many times and it's awesome. Unfortunitly, it doesn't work well with aspx pages with asp.net 2.0+.

It was wierd using it for the first time when hooked up to a database. Perhaps 10 years from now everything will be different. We'll be speaking to our computers, "computer... I need one database with the following tables..." hahaha! But what will happen to our jobs?

Later

0
VeganMan
5/2/2009 5:34:16 AM

Who knows, five years earlier, if someone told you about LINQ to Entities, the Entity Framework, Asp.net AJAX 4.0 templates, jQuery, Silverlight, MVVM, asp.net MVC, what would have been your reaction?I would've told'em to shod off, and yet here we are Wink

All that glitters is gold-
Only shooting stars break the mold.
0
HeartattacK

Is CSS Control Adapters compatible with WebPart and WebPartZone controls?
Both WebPart and WebPartZone ultimately derive from WebControl, so it seems like this would work, but before I got into it deeply, was curious if anyone had tried it and if there are any issues? I don't think there is an esay way to make it works. This was a reply from Scott Guthrie: Unfortunately I don't think there is a super easy way to override WebParts -- since some of the layout does assume tables (since the CSS to-do this positioning with divs isn't super easy).  We are going to look at whether it is possible to build another control adapter for webparts in the f...

Reagrding using FILTER in (MenuExample.css) CSS adapter classes for Menu control
Hello everyone, Whenever I use filter: in any of the CSS calss for the MENU control using CSS adapters, it only renders the first level of the menu, all subsequent levels are not even displayed. I want to use filter for some transparency effect, but using it is not rendering any child menu's. Following is a example - .PrettyMenu .AspNet-Menu-Vertical { position:absolute; top: 87px; left: 0px; width:200px; z-index: 300; filter:alpha(Opacity=50); } Now it only shows first level and rest of the menus are not displayed, if I remove filter, it works fine but without transparency. Rep...

CSS Control Adapters
I was thinking to implement menu like on www.auctiva.com using CSS Control Adapters. How would I do it?The enu would have two bars:1) Main bar - tabs 2 Second bar with submenu items, all links horizontallyRafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct Anybody can help?Rafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct ...

CSS control adapters
I've just seen another thread mentioning these which reminded me that I couldn't install the blighters. A couple of questions first tho.  The VSI file that I download won't load/install, it comes up with "string cannot have zero length".  ANybody any ideas on what may be going wrong? Second question is on how these get deployed on my remote server, will I be able to use them without access to the core asp library directories (if that makes sense). To fix the VSI installer problem, see this posting, http://forums.asp.net/thread/1492405.aspx. To deploy the adapters you do not ...

Trouble controlling .net controlls with CSS
 I am trying to control the :hover css property on <asp: Button> controls. Basically the css is working correctly to set the initial look of the button, but nothing is happening when I hover over the button. Here is my code:CSS:.sidebarButton{    width: 168px;     height: 45px;     background-color: #666666;     text-align: left;    font-weight: bold;    font-family: Century Gothic;    font-size: 13pt;    color: White;    border-style: none;  ...

CSS Control Adapter for Gridview
I am tryin to style a gridview.My site is using CSS Friendly control adapter. I am new to this. Can u guys pls help me make the gridview look better. Every time i add a div tag,i get an error that div is not a property of the gridview.If i put it to envelope the gridview, nothin happens!! Thanks.  If you left the (ID) of the GridView as GridView1 then you should be able to find <div class="AspNet-GridView" id="GridView1"> in the source when you run the page.   You can use the class to style the GridView.  You should also be able to find ot...

CSS Control Adapters #2
HiI have downloaded the CSS adapters from http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/, but how do I tell the menu to use the CSS? Cheers  Check this link http://www.asp.net/CSSAdapters/Default.aspx check the tab, "Help" -> "Tutorials" Another Link http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/02/CSS-Control-Adapter-Toolkit-for-ASP.NET-2.0-.aspxblog.budigelli.com Hey bopo, Ravi...Is totally right but sometimes a simple answer can really help. Once you have added the neccesary files to your project, in source view add (CssSelectorClass="PrettyMenu"&n...

TreeView and CSS Control Adapters
Hello All,I am using CSS control Adapter for my TreeView. The Intention is to emit <ul> and <li> tags instead of tables.But I am getting this error************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************Server Error in 'xyz' Application. The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution...

CSS Adapters effecing other controls?
I'm using the css adapters to style the menu. It works fine. BUT: in other parts of the site, in pages without any css-friendly related stuff, menus and gridviews look wierd. Totaly different from the way they used to be before I added the css friendly adapters. I'm almost sure there is a connection. How can I make sure that a specific menu is NOT affected by the adapters? Thanks,Gili   I found this on the CSS Friendly adapters website whitepage: Disabling Adapters If you explicitly add AdapterEnabled="false" to your server-side tag, these sample adapters will attem...

Excluding control from CSS Adapter
I use menu in two places in the website: Main menu and User Menu. While I want to use CSS Adapter for Main menu, I do not want to use CSS Adapters for USer menu. It is the same tag in both places: asp:menu. Please helpRafal Zikbay.com - Free Classifieds (Search Over 5 mln jobs on Zikbay.com) DNN Direct  According to this book:  "...once you set up your adapters to run in your project, there is no real way to turn them off. It's not as if you can say "okay, GridView1, you use the adapters. But GridView2? No way; I want to style you myself" If they are on, t...

Menu Css Control Adapter
  Hi everybody, i have been working with menu css control adapter of .net 2.0, but i'm having some troubles to use it. I have a vertical menu and in forward of the menu i have a swf file (Flash). what happens is that the menu it appears in the back of the swf file and it's menu subitems is  unreachable.   How can i fix it???? Please Someone ...... Thanks in advanced... I had the same problem with my menu not displaying from my master page over the top of image in the content place holder, i got around this by putting the menu and the content in DIV with the correct Z-...

Wizard Control and CSS Adapters
Has anyone dealt with the wizard control and CSS Adapters?  I tried to create one myself, but it seems to mess with the datalist adapter already in place. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nichole...

ChangePassword control and CSS Friendly Adapters
 Hi, I have difficulty getting ChangePassword control to work properly, ie, user enters correct current password and valid new password, new password is updated in DB but control shows error. I appreciate that this error is caused by double postback and have read threads such as http://forums.asp.net/p/1100637/1672132.aspx detailing the solutions. How can I go about implementing the code in the above-mentioned thread? Where should I place them?  Thanks. Hi You may contact steve harman by a private email for help, However, try to use MembershipUser.ChangePass...

How do I use CSS Friendly Control Adapters
I’ve been reading a lot on the CSS Friendly Control Adapters and I getting a lot of conflicting and confusing information.   There seems to be two approaches to the use of these which appears to derives from there being two implementations. An older version which involved running a vsi file which I can’t seem to find in the package. And a later method which seems to only involve adding a refrence to the dll file and adding a App_Browsers folder and placing the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file in the folder.  Here’s an example, I’m looking at a page from this site, “ASP.NET 2.0 ...

Web resources about - CSS Unfriendly Control Adapters - asp.net.css-control-adapters

TripAdvisor World City Survey results - London dirty, unfriendly
London may have put on a cheerful face during the Olympics but tourists have still rated the city poorly in terms of friendliness, cleanliness ...

Are Aussies racist or just unfriendly?
If Australia is such an awful place, why do so many new migrants take up citizenship?

We're a weird mob of unfriendly racists: Monash University report
Australians are seen as nothing like the caring, friendly and hospitable mob so often assumed, with an extensive new survey of recent migrants ...

Temporary foreign worker program changes called 'business-unfriendly'
The Conservative government’s overhaul of the temporary foreign worker program got a thumbs-down from business associations Friday who say the ...

'The Stranger Project' Tackles Vancouver's Unfriendly Reputation (PHOTOS)
Vancouver's reputation for being an unfriendly place has challenged a photographer to meet one stranger a day in the city to make it a warmer ...

Should You Advertise In Unfriendly Territory? The Mormons Do.
... I don’t see a lot of ads for McDonald’s in fitness magazines. But it might be an interesting buy. The post Should You Advertise In Unfriendly ...

Win A Turret Commander Promo Code And Be The Hero Of The Unfriendly Skies
... allowed, totaling up to two entries per person if using both. Turret Commander Win A Turret Commander Promo Code And Be The Hero Of The Unfriendly ...

Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly ...
During a conference call on Tuesday, Corning Glass executive Tony Tripeny named the apparently numerous drawbacks to using sapphire crystal in ...

The clouds are alive as microbes fly unfriendly skies
theaucitron On a lazy summer day, you might look for animal shapes in the clouds, but you know they’re not real. There’s nothing alive up there ...

Flying the unfriendly — and pricey — skies
Flying the unfriendly skies. Where have all the freebies gone? And why no outrage over pricey pillows and snacks?