Design Problem - Can't use datasets for binding

I have a web application that I am working on which has a distinct 3-layer architecture. The middle (Domain) layer consists of all custom domain objects in which the data is held. When data is retrieved from the database it is done so through the Data Source Layer, a DataSet is passed back to the Domain Layer and the DataSet is immediately converted to a domain object and thrown out. The domain object is then passed to the presentation layer.

My current task is to implement reporting functionality. However, the reports exist in the Presentation Layer. This is a problem because no DataSets, DataReaders, or other ASP.NET data objects are available. All of the data, as I said, is kept in domain objects and collections.
Crystal Reports only gives me two options as far as databinding. I can either bind to a DataSet/DataReader (which is not possible) or I can have the report connect to the database itself (which is not ideal for me).
I am facing a design dilemma that I need to overcome. Should I implement some sort of ToDataSet() in each domain object to retrieve a data set (which I will build dynamically when the method is called)? Or should I redesign the architecture so that the data set is kept along with the domain objects (redundancy of data)? Or is there a better solution? Has this issue ever been tackled in some sort of whitepaper?
-1
PachecoJ

Disregard. I think I have all the information I need in this post:

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=713206
1
PachecoJ
10/8/2004 4:42:27 PM

 I have the same problem but i don't know what to do and the link doesn't work!

Please help me :)

1
tendre_amie007

Microsoft Report Designer throws error when use 'create function' in dataset
I get this error from Microsoft Report Designer (SQL Report 2005)  when I use the below query in the dataset as 'TEXT':  An error occurred while executing the query.Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'function'.A RETURN statement with a return value cannot be used in this context.(Microsoft SQL Server,Error:156)  Actually, I want to use the query(pasted in my previous post) in the dataset as 'TEXT' based  so that I do not have to go through the 'change request committee' everytime if i have to change my function or stored procedure. Usua...

Binding a crystal report to a .net dataset
I have a dataset I created and I want to display the data in a crystal report on a web page.I know the dataset has rows in it.Here is my question.  Does the crystal report called CrystalReport1 have to have sql behind it or can it be bound to a dataset.When the crystal report has sql behind with fields on the report  I do not know how to surpress the prompt for the uid and password.I issue the following command CrystalReport1 myReport = new CrystalReport1(); myReport.SetDataSource(dsRecs); crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = myReport;The report comes up empty.Why is this ?Thanks...

Crystal reports don't run well after Windows Update installs .net 2.0 and .net 3.5
 I have a web reporting application build using VS2003 and Crystal ver 9.5.Everything was working fine until the infrastructure team run the windows 2003 server WINDOWS UPDATE where the new .net 2.0 & .net 3.5 got installed.I started to get CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.InternalException: Error in File:crreport5.rpt -The request could not be submittted for background processing.After I restart IIS , the reports start working again but they stop after a while and I have to restart again ...Please, advise.    ...

using dataset in crystal report in vb.net
Hi alI, I want to use the user defined data set in run time in vb.net for eg. A user wants to put data in run time for that particulart filed  all data should be taken from database. Can Any 1 suggest me what to do.   Thnaks, Bob       Create a typed dataset of the dataset u r using for the gridview using ds.WriteXMLSchema("C:\data.xsd"). Add it to ur application code folder Create an object of the typed dataset. Get dataset into it. Bind it to the gridview. Keep the dataset in session so that u can reuse it Then create a c...

How to pass parameter in crystal report using dataset in vb.net
 dear friends              i am new to crystal report. so i need the detail explanation on crystal report in vb.net i want to create crystal report using dataset,i want to pass parameter value in crystal report or dataset.regards Samuel chandradoss John  Thanks and regardsSamuel Chandradoss John you can refer here http://forums.asp.net/p/1359067/2825312.aspx#2825312   and also http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tutorials/Using-Crystal-Reports.aspxMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotM...

Using multiple DataSet's together in a RDLC Report
I am using Visual Studio 2008 and building an RDLC Report. This report uses two data sources: DataSet_A and DataSet_B. Both dataset's have a column "userId". I've created a list called List_A in the report that uses's DataSet_A as the DataSet and has Grouping based on DataSet_A.userId. Within List_A i want to print the DistinctCount of records in DataSet_B where DataSet_B.userId = DataSet_A.userId. I want to be able to use the data in DataSet_B to compute totals and averages. I tried setting DataSet_B's "Parent Group" to be =Fields!userId - bu...

How to Bind my Crystal Report Template to a Custom Data Without using Strongly Typed DataSets
Hi,  I'm working on PDF invoices and this is more a win app then web. I created a class MyData and placed all nessesary DataSets and so on in the code bihind. On the win form I just bind my report to a DataSource like it shown in all examples but it complains that there is not Table in the Report Template.  The thing is I understand that I need to create a Strongly Typed DataSet and use it in the designer as a DataSource, place all the fields. But my template is too complicated for that and can't just be a DataSet. I'm binding the report depending on some extra info a...

how to work with XMLSchema.xsd with disconnected dataset using vb.net for builiding crystal report
hai! i heard recently we can build crystal reports dynamically through xmlschema.xsd so, how to work with XMLSchema.xsd with disconnected dataset using vb.net for builiding crystal report...

multiple page of crystal report having problem-first page saw but second dosen't see.
my crystal report've a problem . my first page of crp is saw but when we click to navigate btn for view then the following error is occurred.so that plz..plz anybody solved my pro'm as possible as fast it's very urgent then i'm be heartly thankful for his kindness. Specified cast is not valid. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.Source Error: L...

Call Independenly Designed Crystal Report Using cr viewer control in vb.net web apps
Hi, I have designed the crystal report independently in version 9.0 with one parameter field. i want to call that report from the web application and pass the parameter. so that the report can show me the right value from the data base of SQL server. How can i do that?? plz hlp me. Tauseef Just do Add >> Existing Object to add the report to your project. Then, you can use that report file just as if you had created it in Visual Studio. This works for all versions 8.5 or better. For examples of passing parameters, support.businessobject.com has a good example in...

View report from the crystal report server using .NET
Hi,I am first time dealing with crystal report and I having problem with it. I need to use asp.net to link to the crystal report server and view the report, but don't know how? Is there a way to do that? or is there any better way to using .net and view report from the crystal report server?Thanks....

Bind crystal reports / sql reports to ADO.NET
Hi,  I'm a beginner trying to find out if it's possible to directly connect an sql report/crystal report to an ADO.NET data set?   It all depends on what version of Visual studio you are using. Here are the steps for VS2005 In VS2005 you need to do the following: 1) Right click on your solution and select add, New Item. 2) Add a dataset and create your queries in the dataset. Make sure you save this dataset or it will not show up later. 3) Add your reportviewer 4) Right click on your solution and select add new Item Again and then add a crystal report 5) In the cr...

[perl6/specs] 221ef4: Don't use 'uniq', use 'unique' instead
----==_mimepart_544d16a05dcdf_6d4c3fa4b3d272a0340d4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Branch: refs/heads/master Home: https://github.com/perl6/specs Commit: 221ef4b034019de158b293391bb3df670ab81c6b https://github.com/perl6/specs/commit/221ef4b034019de158b293391bb3df670ab81c6b Author: Elizabeth Mattijsen <liz@dijkmat.nl> Date: 2014-10-26 (Sun, 26 Oct 2014) Changed paths: M S04-control.pod M S17-concurrency.pod M S32-setting-library/Containers.pod Log Message: ----------- Don't use '...

Web resources about - Design Problem - Can't use datasets for binding - asp.net.crystal-reports