Crystal Reports vs SQL Reporting Services

Hi all! May I ask which is better to use: Crystal Reports or SQL Reporting Services? Thanks to all.
0
Jeff711

What are your reporting needs?  This will likely dictate one solution over another moreso than anybody's personal recommendations.

My personal experience with Crystal (9.x and below) is that you'll be struggling for a while to get reporting that even works (especially web-based reporting).  Reporting Services, on the other hand, has always just worked for me.  But, there are certainly limitations with both products.

So, my personal preferences are in the following order.  When I come across a business need that prevents the use of one product, I consider the next one in the list:

1. Reporting Services

2. ActiveReports

3. Crystal Reports

4. Custom coding

JasonF
A View Inside My Head
0
JasonFollas
12/29/2005 7:52:31 PM

Thanks Jason, Im currently working on a web application system using ASP.Net and I'm using the Crystal Reports that are bundled with Visual Studio .Net. But our company are planning to switch to Reporting Services, that's why Im trying to figure out which is better. Can anyone tell me both products strong points and advantages (besides the info in the  product documentation). Thanks a lot and Happy New Year to All!

0
Jeff711
12/30/2005 12:40:09 AM

There is another option: LogiXML (www.logixml.com).  When our company was seeking a .NET WEB reporting solution to round out our customer-centric business software we looked at Crystal, SQL Reporting Services, Excel, Access, various third party components and..... nearly.....developed our own.

Each product definately had its pros and cons but we selected LogiXML for many reasons.  High on our list was ease of use for our programmers yes, but more importantly, our customers.  We could not believe how quickly, effectively and easily we could get reports running off our application and our customer's have a high degree of flexibility to analysis the data from reports we have built.  Seemed like a win/win to us.

Considering our application is pure .NET and LogiXML the same it was a simple decision.  Our programmers were given the final say and they agreed that LogiXML was the smart choice for us.

Since then we have been thrilled by the level of service as we are more than just another number in a support queue when we have questions!  Which doesn't happen often as its a very intuitive product offering.

0
CRM
1/4/2006 1:26:02 AM

There's a decent comparison of the two at www.crystalreportsbook.com.

Something else to consider are the licensing/deployment scenarios.  CR .NET isn't designed to be installed on a shared host.  Reporting Services is technically a component of SQL Server, and must be installed on the same box as SQL Server (this includes installing IIS on the same machine, a concept which makes many network admins cry).  If you want to install SSRS on a different machine, you'll need an additional SQL Server license, even if you don't install SQL Server on that machine.

If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley
1/4/2006 2:19:37 PM

Practically speaking, with MSRS or any other reporting software, I was not able to install SQL Server and the reporting server on the same box:

Both will compete against processor power and even worse SQL Server is taking memory very aggressively.  I am working with SQL Server 2000 and it doesn't release the memory even after the query is finished and data is returned.  Most of the time memory is the #1 factor for speed so it isn't recommended to limit the memory for neither SQL Server nor IIS/MSRS.  The last but not the least is about security.  It isn't a good idea to use a shared box if you are planning to use the box as a web server available to outside.

0
Xebra0
1/4/2006 4:05:24 PM

For production scenarios, my recommendation is to have reporting services on its own machine.  This does require an additional SQL Server license, so I also install SQL on that machine (though that is not absolutely required--the license can be paper-only), but use it only for the catalog.

Reporting Services is then able to pull data from any datasource, be that another SQL Server, Oracle, Informix, or anything else that you can connect to (using ODBC, OLEDB, etc).

JasonF
A View Inside My Head
0
JasonFollas

Crystal Reports vs Sql Server Reporting Services.
I have some reporting requirements. Please advise whether I should go for Crystal Reports or Sql Server Reprting Services.Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem. Onr thing I would like to add. The reports are to be incorporated in web pages only or can be viewed by the business people standalone, but no support for desktop based product is required.Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem. Check this link. its good, but its better, if u tell ur requirements briefly. so that we can suggest u http://www.crystalr...

Crystal Report vs SQL Server Reporting Services
Hello,Can any one suggest which is best Crystal Report or SQL Server reporting services,  in compare of performance, developing and licensing cost.Can we use any of these reporting on shared hosting.If we want to go for SSRS then which edition of SQL Server we should purchase.Thanks,Deepesh Verma Dont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers....

how to make printable reports without Crystal reports and SQL Reporting service
Hi guys I need printable reports in a web app , these reports must be colorful and well  formatted  ( header and footer ,lines around the page&…)  the problem is because of the hosting situation unfortunately  I cannot use neither of Crystal reports  and SQL Reporting service  also  we cannot use extra components  -that costs money for us- like PDF Creators .  I've thought of two possible solutions. 1st   I can do that in an HTML format   2nd  it is possible to  produce Images .  Creating Image is extreme...

Cassini, VS.Net and Crystal Reports

crystal reports or sql reporting services?
Hi, Need to make a decision about which of these to go for. I'm looking to develop a web-based reporting solution which replaces a networked Access Database which displays stacked bar charts and line graphs and tabulated data. All the data will be coming from SQL Server 2000 databases on our intranet. I've got 2 yrs asp.net and sql server but no experience in either CR or SQL RS. Has anyone got experience in both of these technologies to help me out with the best way forward. All responses appreciated. Cheers. Both will do pretty much the same thing--get ...

sql reporting services crystal reports
My computer has vs 2008 wish to use sql 2005 standard vista I wish to use sql reporting services , crystal reports, web services, ecommerce, wcf, soa, enterprise development in net, etc What is the best web hosts? I contacted orcsweb, discount asp.net. I wish to use a shared host.....What are my options.... enterprise development for commercial development maybe sharepoint Can I configure sql standard on my computer? I do not wish to use default settings what is the best way to do this?               Hello, Maybe i...

Crystal Report vs Mssql Service Reporting
 Please provide me some information about this two reporting tools because i am going to develop reports? Which is the best choice? Friend, its purely a subjective matter and both of the camps support their own camp. Anyways you can compare yourself both of them in the following article http://www.baadd.org/uploads/SQL%20Reporting%20Services%20vs%20Crystal%20Reports%20comparative%20analysis.pdf Hope it helped you. Good luck!  Please Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thr...

Converting VS 2003 Crystal reports to VS 2005 crystal reports
Hello,     I have converted a VS 2003 project that has few Crstalreports in it to VS 2005. All the dlls got converted good except the Crystalreports part. I have a sub routine called ExportReport() in a page called GenerateReport.aspx page in VS 2003 which generates the report in a word or excel etc... based on what user selects.   Tthe first line I have is Dim myReport as new CrystalReport1 and this works perfect in VS 2003. But when I converted the entire project to VS 2005 it CrystalReport is not recognised by the IDE and I see a blue line underneath. ...

Crystal reports to Reporting Services
Crystal reports to Reporting Services Is there any way I can convert Crystal reports to Reporting Services instead of creating reports again in Reporting Services?   HI,  JIM.H. You can check out this great article. Hope it helps Converting Crystal to Reporting Services http://blogs.msdn.com/gsnowman/archive/2005/10/12/480305.aspx If i misunderstand you about your question, please feel free to correct me and i will try to help you with more information. I hope the above information will be helpful. If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know. It's my p...

Reporting services, Crystal reports ?
Hi, I'm very new in using VS.  How can I export report ?  I find it has Report, Crystal Reports controls in Toolboxs.  If it's possible, please explain the procedures as detail as possible. Thanks a lot ! stephen     I reference some online tutorial about how to use Crystal Report in VS 2005.  Follow the instruction up to connect database using "OLD DB SQL Server" and logon the server.  It prompted me Server name, User ID, Password and Database.  I typed "localhost" for Server name (suggested by tutorial).  Does User ID ...

comparing Cystal Report 10.2.3(provided by VS 2005) and Crystal Report 10.0.3(provdied by Crystal reports 10
 hi all, i was just wondering what u guys think about the two version (10.2.3 - by VS2005) and (10.0.3 - by Crystal reports 10).it seems like the Coding syntax is abit diff for the two version. (10.2.3 dont even need to mappath) i was wondering if i write the web application using 10.2.3, would i encounter problems when displaying report written by 10.0.3. opinions need, thanks! regards,martin ...

use crystal report or reporting service in SQL 2005?
I used Crystal report .NET for a couple of years but do not really like it. Now, reporting service is available in SQL 2005. Someone can give me suggestion: use crystal report or reporting service in SQL 2005? Or use another product from third party?...

Need help in crystal report or sql reporting services....
Hello guys, i have a problem in reporting services can any one help me or suggest me how i can solve this problem.. here is problem... i have 1 databse name as DDP and i need to generate some reports from it. in report there must be some graphs ( which depend on data calculation ) and also information in tabular format like gridview.. i tried to use crystal report and sql reporting services..  and this is a web application so i am using ASP.NET control.. after showing this graphs and information i need to export all stuff in to excel sheet.. i am able to export only grid information...

Bind crystal reports / sql reports to ADO.NET
Hi,  I'm a beginner trying to find out if it's possible to directly connect an sql report/crystal report to an ADO.NET data set?   It all depends on what version of Visual studio you are using. Here are the steps for VS2005 In VS2005 you need to do the following: 1) Right click on your solution and select add, New Item. 2) Add a dataset and create your queries in the dataset. Make sure you save this dataset or it will not show up later. 3) Add your reportviewer 4) Right click on your solution and select add new Item Again and then add a crystal report 5) In the crystal report wizard Select crystal reports wizard and the type of report you want 6) Under the data menu you need to select project data, then ADO.NET datasets. Assuming you saved your dataset it will now show up in this field and you can make your selection as well as create your crystal report. 7) Go to your Web page where you want to display the Crystal report and Add a Report viewer to that page: Toolbox, Crystal Reports, Report viewer 8) The code behind:1 Dim dataSet As DataSet 2 Me.Cursor = Cursors.WaitCursor 3 Dim crReportDocument As CrystalReport1 4 Dim Con As SqlConnection 5 Dim Da As SqlDataAdapter 6 Dim conn As String = "Server=Your Server;Database=Your DB; User ID=sa;Password=Your PW" 7 Con = New SqlConnection(conn) 8 Dim sqlString As String = "" 9 Dim cmSQL As SqlClient.SqlCommand 10 cmSQL = New SqlClient.SqlC...

SQL Server Reporting and Crystal Reports
Hello Friends,I will be thankful to you if you can throw some light on the following issue:1. Can i use SQL Server Reporting Service with Crystal Report? or they both are different things.2. IF i want to allow the user to choose the header and footer of report and also parameters that need to be displayed in report, can i achieve it with SSRS? In short i want to generate Dynamic Reports. How it can be achieved?3. I know that we can create PDF using SSRS, but is it possible to make it password protected? Awaiting for the response. Regards,NilPlease MARK POST AS AN ANSWER if it helps youM...

How to design SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Reports in VS.NET 2005 web applications
Hi,   Can we design SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Reports in VS.NET 2005 web applications. If so how they can be designed. Plz help me if any one know the solution. Thanx in advance, Vidya     Are you asking if you can use VS.Net 2005 to design reports, yes, both client and server reports are built using VS.Net. If you are asking if you can use a web application to build a report, well yes you could, but you would have you design it.  All sql server reports are is an xml file, so if you can build a front end that will generate the xml in the proper ...

Can a .net web service return a crystal report .rpt object to use as a report source?
I would like to have a .net web service return an .rpt object to use as a report source for the crystal reports viewer on a thick client (windows .net form). Is this possible? The documentation -- the lack of it, actually -- on this subject seems to indicate no, but I'm not that familiar with the standard deployment schemes. I don't want to create the reports as web services, because they will be created on the fly by users without vs.net, and I'm also restricted by security concerns from putting new software (e.g., report server, merge modules, et al.) on the server that hosts the ....

Web resources about - Crystal Reports vs SQL Reporting Services - asp.net.crystal-reports

Reporting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fifteen-year-old takes on EPA to have litter reporting rights given to under-18s
Driving, voting, drinking alcohol; there is a lot one cannot do at the age of 15. But for 15-year-old James King there is one particular age ...

Look who's reporting for Sky on George Pell
Andrew Bolt is reporting as a 'Sky News contributor' on Cardinal George Pell's royal commission testimony from Rome.

ABC Four Corners team arrested in Malaysia over reporting on corruption allegations
An ABC Four Corners crew is detained by Malaysian police after trying to question Prime Minister Najib Razak over a corruption scandal.

CNN’s Clarissa Ward on Reporting in Syria: ‘You Know You Could Die’
It took six months of planning–working closely with contacts developed over the course of several years–before CNN senior international correspondent ...

VW worker claims he was fired after reporting data deletion
... , Green , Volkswagen , Emissions , Diesel A former VW worker has filed a lawsuit in Michigan, and he claims the automaker fired him for reporting ...

"Psychologists and massage therapists are reporting ‘Trump anxiety’ among clients."
Writes Paul Schwartzman (who "specializes in political profiles and narratives about life, death and everything in between" in The Washington ...

Google Analytics Power Reporting for SEO & SEM – #SMX Liveblog
Google Analytics Power Reporting for SEO & SEM – #SMX Liveblog was originally published on BruceClay.com, home of expert search engine optimization ...

Germanwings crash: French investigators urge new world rules on medical reporting about pilots
LE BOURGET, France (AP) — Germanwings crash: French investigators urge new world rules on medical reporting about pilots.

Marco Rubio Spox Flips Out At CNN For Reporting Pressure To End Campaign
Earlier today, CNN reported that Roboto's senior aides were fighting over whether it's time for Marco to pull out of the campaign. A battle ...