crystal reports or sql reporting services?

Hi,

Need to make a decision about which of these to go for.
I'm looking to develop a web-based reporting solution which replaces a networked
Access Database which displays stacked bar charts and line graphs and tabulated
data.
All the data will be coming from SQL Server 2000 databases on our intranet.
I've got 2 yrs asp.net and sql server but no experience in either CR or SQL RS.
Has anyone got experience in both of these technologies to help me out with the
best way forward.
All responses appreciated.
Cheers.
0
calcium

Both will do pretty much the same thing--get data and display it in a report.  There are a few snazzy features in one that aren't in the other, and vice versa.

A lot of the decision has to do with installation, licensing and designing the reports.
CR .NET can be deployed on an IIS server that is separate from the SQL Server. Reporting Services cannot. There are a lot of DBAs and network admins out there that will put IIS on a SQL box "over my dead body". If yours is one of those, best of luck. In truth, you can install Reporting Services on a separate box than the SQL Server, but you will need to purchase an additional SQL Server license. For some places, no big deal.
In both cases, the standard report designer is integrated with the Visual Studio IDE. If someone from the accounting department want to design reports, they'll either need VS, or they'll need to purchase a designer version of the software. Business Objects offers scaled-down versions called Crystal Reports Designer, and there are one or two third party options available for Reporting Services.
Reporting Services has built in delivery mechanisms, similar to Crystal Enterprise. If you want people to automatically receive their crystal reports via e-mail, you'll need to write a special application to do this, or upgrade to Crystal Enterprise. RS comes with this component already.
As far as the designer goes, RS has some nice features, but I think Crystal's is a little more flexible (but also a little more complicated).
If you have VS 2002 or VS 2003, try messing around with Crystal a little. There's a good book at www.crystalreportsbook.com, and the first chapter or so is available as a free e-book. We also have some good resources at http://aspalliance.com/crystal.
SSRS can also be downloaded, but you'll need to check with yoru admin/DBA to see if you can install it. As MSDN subscribers, I have a copy running locally with SQL Server Developer Edition that I play with, so you don't need to install it on a production machine just to mess around.
I don't think this is a simple choice, since every organization is different. Different people, different capabilities, and different approaches.
If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley
10/15/2004 5:48:11 PM
Tough question to answer and you're going to have to experiment to see what works best for you. rjdudley had a good answer (and thanks for mentioning the book!) but I would like to add to it.

There are two critical parts of your question that need to be addressed. First is that you said you are using an Access database. In my experience, apps that use an Access database do so b/c they don't have many clients hitting the server and/or because they can't afford SQL Server. Reporting Services requires SQL Server. You don't have to USE Sql Server (you can still use Access as the database), but you do have to purchase a SQL Server license. That may answer your question there.
Secondly, you mention that you want to do charts. No one is impressed with the charting capabilities of CR.NET. Sure, it has plenty of chart types that will make most people happy. But the customization of charts sucks. You can't change the colors, most fonts, or much of anything else. Charts in CR.NET are like a black box. You tell it the type of chart you want and set the data points and it produces a great chart. But you have very little control over the details. If you are happy with the default settings, then you will be satisified. Re Reporting Services, I still haven't used it so I can't say anyting about its charting capabilities. So you are on you own to decide whether this is better or worse than the CR.NET charts. Considering that charts are so visual and everyone has their own preferences, you should do tests with both tools to see which suits your fancy.
HTH,

Brian Bischof

www.CrystalReportsBook.com

0
bischofb
10/16/2004 6:16:22 PM
I had to make a decision about 6 months ago to go with Crystal 10 or RS and as what was said above both have their ups and downs but the one that sold it for me was security. In RS it is not possible to use ANY authentication other than windows authentication unless you have the Enterprise licence for SQL in which you have access to the security API and you have to write your own security component. There is a way around this by using web services but this looks unprofessional, you lose the ability to use the reports toolbar and drill down functionality. So if you are looking to provide reporting on an intranet (or a strongly controlled extranet) then RS could work.

I ended up forking out the money to upgrade to Crystal 10 Adv Dev Edition which is far less buggy then 9) which gets aroud chart customisation problems and I just use MSDE and save money by not having to buy a SQL licence. One complaint I do have about Crstal is it's inability to work natively with datasets when it comes to using Crystal Enterprise Embedded, which hinders my reports from being scalable. I can also customise the majority of elements on any of my reports at runtime.
Ryan
0
RyanSmith
10/17/2004 12:22:22 PM
Thanks for the replies... I still need to determine all client requirements

this week but my leaning is towards SQL RS. I viewed this demo and was
impressed with the tight integration and customising of data presentation - not much was
mentioned about security though. By the way, is Microsoft veering away from CR.NET in
favour of SQL RS? This app may be the first of many other reporting tools and in-house skills
are MS-based for the medium term.
rjdudley: I've heard confilicting reports that SQL RS can/cannot be locally installed
with the provided media (eval version says it does and so does this article on code magazine).
I would prefer to do this than install on the only SQL "Server" which is running an
important system 24-7. Re: MSDN subscriptions... if I needed to what would be the most
cost-effective subscription to get the "local" SQL RS media? I had a look on MSDN subscriptions
but there's not a great deal of focus on SQL.
bischofb: In the current system I'm replacing there are some stacked bar charts
and line graphs which are coloured / patterned specifically to make photocopied versions as
readable as colour versions - I currently work in a manufacturing facility where paper still
has its place (our in-house web apps are in their 1st year). Your feedback leads me to
believe CR might not be up to this.
RyanSmith: Windows authentication might be ok but I'm surprised by this limitation.
Looking at a summary of the features it says you can still put people into roles before you
have to start programming effort. The other thing about RS is that you have to write
extensions for anything other than reporting data direct from pre-defined queries.
I'm thinking in terms of object modelling data specifically.
Cheers.
0
calcium
10/18/2004 11:58:30 AM
Remember that MSDN subscriptions are for development purposes only.  You do not have a license to run any of that software in a production or fail-over capacity.

My dev machine has SQL Developer Edition and SSRS installed locally, so it is very possible. Since this is a dev machine, this is OK under our MSDN subscription. A production environment is different.
You can install SSRS on a separate machine from your SQL server. The most cost effective license for a production server would probably be SQL Server Standard, but your client should check their licensing agreement if they have one. Your other option is SQL Enterprise, which is usually more expensive. SSRS is considered as part of SQL Server, so there is no separate license needed, other than the additional SQL Server license for the separate machine.
It's been a long time since I installed the SSRS, but there should be an option to install the Visual Studio IDE plug-ins so the developers can design reports. If I remember correctly, there is no limit to the number of times you install the design tools, but everyone needs Visual Studio who will be using it. Make sure you double-check that. The design tools do not need a local install of SQL Server--they'll communicate with the reporting server. These design tools are only project templates and designer plug-in to the VS IDE.
Brian raised an excellent point about charting. SSRS uses Dundas Chart as its charting engine, while CR .NET is very limited.
If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley
10/18/2004 1:42:23 PM
There is a major architecture difference between the two technologies. CR can be embedded directly into your application giving you complete access to who views each individual report. RS runs on it's own and cannot be embedded into your application (unless you use web services which has many downfalls) it runs as it's own seperate site and the ownly way to see the reports on the net is to put the entire service on the web and you need to pass the location of the report as a URL. Pasing parameters is also unprofessional at the moment as you need to pass them via the URL so anyone can see the parameters you used to create that report, to me this was not a risk I was not willing to take. As RS runs as its own app you need the Security API (which ownly comes in Enterprise) to be able to custom authenticate the user and then pass that information into RS.

What RS need is some kind of viewer server control (much like CR) that can manage the reports programatically and not have directly available on the web. The good news is that they are working on this functionality but have give no time lines. In my belief RS is currently a beta release and you won't see the full functionality until Yukon and VS 2005. Microsft is not veering awat from CR in fact from what I have read they are making some very good improvements and I am Brian can point you in the directions of the exact improvements being made.
You do need to write modules for just about everything in RS which in a very big pain. The good news is that there is alot of templates out there which make it easy to write your own modules.
Ryan
0
RyanSmith
10/18/2004 11:27:53 PM
I'm at a loss about discussing RS b/c I'm so buried in CR. I'm sooo tempted to do a head-to-head comparison for each feature and try to provide a solid understanding of which tool excels in which area. There are so many discussions about this and no one really has a quality whitepaper available that we can reference. I did see one really good article but if focuses on Enterprise issues. Of course, this is very important, but my target audience is the developer in the small to medium size organization who doesn't need CE. This article doesn't help as much there. Here it is:

http://www.baadd.org/uploads/SQL%20Reporting%20Services%20vs%20Crystal%20Reports%20comparative%20analysis.pdf
I think what we need is a head-to-head comparison of the report designer features as well as a user friendliness comparison. I keep hearing about how easy SSRS is to use, but then I find out that it is a pain to connect to ADO.NET. This is the primary means of connecting to data and people are having trouble doing it? How is that user friendly? And what's up with having to build all these modules that Ryan mentioned? Why is everyone praising SSRS as being so user friendly when you have to jump through all these hoops to do basic reporting? I'm at a loss here.
There's lots of confusion out there and no straight answers. We need better information than leaving it to the marketing departments to "help" us decide what tool is best. Very frustrating.
</rant>
Back to the question at hand. Re your charting needs, I think you'll be fine with CR b/c it does have a black/white option and a multitude of other charts with lots of formatting options. I was a little too harsh earlier b/c the runtime customization of charts is lacking and could use a lot more work. As Ryan metioned earlier, getting the developer edition smoothes out a lot of bumps.
I still think that you shouldn't make a decision based upon what you are reading here. Both tools are free to use and easy to get started with. Create charting reports with both tools and see which one you like. I bet that both CR.NET and SSRS are going to meet your needs. So its really a matter of preference in terms of which one you feel more comfortable with.
Choosing a reporting tool is a major decision and both choices have their share of headaches. Take into consideration what everyone here has to say, but don't make a major decision like this based on a few comments posted on the web. Work with each tool this week and see which one best fits your needs.

Brian Bischof

www.CrystalReportsBook.com

0
bischofb
10/19/2004 12:15:19 AM
 calcium wrote:
Hi, Need to make a decision about which of these to go for. I'm looking to develop a web-based reporting solution which replaces a networked Access Database which displays stacked bar charts and line graphs and tabulated data. All the data will be coming from SQL Server 2000 databases on our intranet. I've got 2 yrs asp.net and sql server but no experience in either CR or SQL RS. Has anyone got experience in both of these technologies to help me out with the best way forward. All responses appreciated. Cheers.

Out of curisoity, what decision did you finally make and why?
matchbx
0
matchbx27
6/14/2005 3:23:17 PM
We have a web app that is using  crystal reports for reporting and forms that users download and fill out and we've had a great deal of problems with these.  It's not bad for basic reports and forms. Our bigest problem is getting the reports to present them selves consistently in different environemts - they look good in development when run from Crystal IDE,then little things like lines may not line up properly when moved to the QA server.  You fix that, then your paging gets all screwed up in production, and you can't reproduce the issue in QA or Dev ??!??!  It's very frustrating.  CR does not have a expandable table with cells where you can drag-and-drop values,  so you have to build it with lines - these are a pain to create, and difficult to maintain. Some of the forms we tried to develop  so we could export them in PDF and Word, however that has turned out to be an almost impossible task.  Exporting to Excell wasn't exactly straight forward either, and it turned out to be easer to pump the data into a datagrid and push this out to a pop-up window and specify excell as the application.

A few things to bear in mind here - 1) we were using the CR Professional version 9, not the developer version.  That may be part of our problems as we've been able to get alot of the code-behind to work, but not everything. 2) We are now using VS 2005 Beta!  VS2003/CR9 Pro gave us enough problems that VS2005 may have fixed, but there are some issues that may be beta related. 3) We have a large group of developers - some are more expreienced at CR than others.  Knowing some of the quirks makes things easier, having to learn the quirks can be time consuming.  Learning CR is not that difficult, and if you've used any other reporting tool, it should seem similar, but there is a learning curve, and the documentation for CR sucks.

We are planning on moving on to Reporting Services 2005 (beta!!!) this summer.  I've only seen demos so far, but from what I've seen so far, it seems it will solve some of the frustrating issues we've had.  The presenter actually re-created one of our reports in less than an hour that probably took 4 - 8 hours to do in CR. Keep in mind their experience and knowledge with RS and they used our existing stored procedure.  Also, we are just starting to understand the architectual changes we are going to have to make to our app.  Basic things like do we use the WebService or URL to fetch the report are still outstanding.

As everybody else said, this is a tough decision.  I've used CR elsewhere and did not have this many issues, but the architecture was different.  Basically, understand your needs and architecture 100%, then understand what each version of CR and RS provides for you. There are subtlties to each that you need to know up front.

Good luck

Eric
0
estump

how to make printable reports without Crystal reports and SQL Reporting service
Hi guys I need printable reports in a web app , these reports must be colorful and well  formatted  ( header and footer ,lines around the page&…)  the problem is because of the hosting situation unfortunately  I cannot use neither of Crystal reports  and SQL Reporting service  also  we cannot use extra components  -that costs money for us- like PDF Creators .  I've thought of two possible solutions. 1st   I can do that in an HTML format   2nd  it is possible to  produce Images .  Creating Image is extreme...

sql reporting services crystal reports
My computer has vs 2008 wish to use sql 2005 standard vista I wish to use sql reporting services , crystal reports, web services, ecommerce, wcf, soa, enterprise development in net, etc What is the best web hosts? I contacted orcsweb, discount asp.net. I wish to use a shared host.....What are my options.... enterprise development for commercial development maybe sharepoint Can I configure sql standard on my computer? I do not wish to use default settings what is the best way to do this?               Hello, Maybe i...

Crystal Reports vs SQL Reporting Services
Hi all! May I ask which is better to use: Crystal Reports or SQL Reporting Services? Thanks to all. What are your reporting needs?  This will likely dictate one solution over another moreso than anybody's personal recommendations. My personal experience with Crystal (9.x and below) is that you'll be struggling for a while to get reporting that even works (especially web-based reporting).  Reporting Services, on the other hand, has always just worked for me.  But, there are certainly limitations with both products. So, my personal preferences are in the following order.&nbs...

Reporting services, Crystal reports ?
Hi, I'm very new in using VS.  How can I export report ?  I find it has Report, Crystal Reports controls in Toolboxs.  If it's possible, please explain the procedures as detail as possible. Thanks a lot ! stephen     I reference some online tutorial about how to use Crystal Report in VS 2005.  Follow the instruction up to connect database using "OLD DB SQL Server" and logon the server.  It prompted me Server name, User ID, Password and Database.  I typed "localhost" for Server name (suggested by tutorial).  Does User ID ...

Crystal reports to Reporting Services
Crystal reports to Reporting Services Is there any way I can convert Crystal reports to Reporting Services instead of creating reports again in Reporting Services?   HI,  JIM.H. You can check out this great article. Hope it helps Converting Crystal to Reporting Services http://blogs.msdn.com/gsnowman/archive/2005/10/12/480305.aspx If i misunderstand you about your question, please feel free to correct me and i will try to help you with more information. I hope the above information will be helpful. If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know. It's my p...

Bind crystal reports / sql reports to ADO.NET
Hi,  I'm a beginner trying to find out if it's possible to directly connect an sql report/crystal report to an ADO.NET data set?   It all depends on what version of Visual studio you are using. Here are the steps for VS2005 In VS2005 you need to do the following: 1) Right click on your solution and select add, New Item. 2) Add a dataset and create your queries in the dataset. Make sure you save this dataset or it will not show up later. 3) Add your reportviewer 4) Right click on your solution and select add new Item Again and then add a crystal report 5) In the cr...

use crystal report or reporting service in SQL 2005?
I used Crystal report .NET for a couple of years but do not really like it. Now, reporting service is available in SQL 2005. Someone can give me suggestion: use crystal report or reporting service in SQL 2005? Or use another product from third party?...

Crystal Report vs SQL Server Reporting Services
Hello,Can any one suggest which is best Crystal Report or SQL Server reporting services,  in compare of performance, developing and licensing cost.Can we use any of these reporting on shared hosting.If we want to go for SSRS then which edition of SQL Server we should purchase.Thanks,Deepesh Verma Dont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers....

Crystal Reports vs Sql Server Reporting Services.
I have some reporting requirements. Please advise whether I should go for Crystal Reports or Sql Server Reprting Services.Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem. Onr thing I would like to add. The reports are to be incorporated in web pages only or can be viewed by the business people standalone, but no support for desktop based product is required.Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem. Check this link. its good, but its better, if u tell ur requirements briefly. so that we can suggest u http://www.crystalr...

Need help in crystal report or sql reporting services....
Hello guys, i have a problem in reporting services can any one help me or suggest me how i can solve this problem.. here is problem... i have 1 databse name as DDP and i need to generate some reports from it. in report there must be some graphs ( which depend on data calculation ) and also information in tabular format like gridview.. i tried to use crystal report and sql reporting services..  and this is a web application so i am using ASP.NET control.. after showing this graphs and information i need to export all stuff in to excel sheet.. i am able to export only grid information...

Web resources about - crystal reports or sql reporting services? - asp.net.crystal-reports

Reporting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carson Calls CNN Reporting on His Past ‘Bunch of Lies’
In an appearance on CNN’s New Day, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson called a CNN report into Carson’s past a “bunch of lies.” Carson ...

Some Nexus 6P Owners Reporting Spontaneous Rear Glass Cracking
Huawei and Google’s Nexus 6P is the latest Nexus devices to come off the production line and the major flagship device for this year. Google ...

WaPo Columnist Goes After Breitbart over Missouri Reporting
... Milloy took to his regular column in the Metro Section of the Washington Post this morning to attack two Breitbart contributors for their reporting ...

TMZ is reporting that Charlie Sheen once had HIV — but now it's basically gone
TMZ has reported that Charlie Sheen once had HIV, but that it is no longer detectable. The site's sources said that the actor contracted the ...

Commerce City Officer Arrested In Shooting, False Reporting Case
Police in Commerce City have arrested a police officer for false reporting in connection with a shooting the occurred on Sunday.

The New York Times Has Biased Labor Reporting
... of the New York Times, a digital subscriber, and have been reading it since I was a teenager. But they have a bias when it comes to labor reporting ...

FOX NEWS REPORTING 'Destiny and Power — The Private Diaries of George Herbert Walker Bush,' tonight at ...
FOX NEWS REPORTING 'Destiny and Power — The Private Diaries of George Herbert Walker Bush,' tonight at 10 p.m.

Don Lemon Defends His Unorthodox Reporting Style
... do think my career has been helped, because part of my job is to get people to have discussions." Lemon specifically addressed his MH370 reporting, ...

The Sun Is Accused Of Making Headlines Instead Of Reporting Them
... the very worst of tabloid journalism. In recent weeks the newspaper has been attacked on a number of occasions for the quality of its reporting. ...