Can a .net web service return a crystal report .rpt object to use as a report source?

I would like to have a .net web service return an .rpt object to use as
a report source for the crystal reports viewer on a thick client
(windows .net form). Is this possible? The documentation -- the lack of
it, actually -- on this subject seems to indicate no, but I'm not that
familiar with the standard deployment schemes. I don't want to create
the reports as web services, because they will be created on the fly by
users without vs.net, and I'm also restricted by security concerns from
putting new software (e.g., report server, merge modules, et al.) on
the server that hosts the .rpt files.

1
byebyedelray

Can't you pass a dataset back through the web service and bind that to a .rpt report. If the client doesn't have the .rpt report it could also be passed, I would suggest passing the report back using DIME (it is part of the WSE 2.0 and allows you to pass objects back without having to be inside a SOAP message)

Look at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebsrv/html/infoset_whitepaper.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/understanding/advancedwebservices/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnwebsrv/html/opaquedata.asp

Ryan

1
RyanSmith
4/8/2005 4:01:54 AM
If you are developing in VS.net, right click on the .rpt and choose
"Publish as web service" option. You can then deploy it as a web
service, and reference the web service in the Viewer using the
ReportSource like Viewer1.ReportSource =
"http://localhost/crystalServicee/Report1Service.asmx";

Let me know if you have other problems. I've got this working now, though it took some effort.

MSDN actually has quite a bit of useful info on this subject as well.

Sam
1
blahhumbug

View report from the crystal report server using .NET
Hi,I am first time dealing with crystal report and I having problem with it. I need to use asp.net to link to the crystal report server and view the report, but don't know how? Is there a way to do that? or is there any better way to using .net and view report from the crystal report server?Thanks....

Creating Reports using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET
Hi i am trying to create a crystal report using C# coding but instead of creating a web application under new project i decided to choose create an asp.net website with C#. The problem is i get:- The report you requested requires further information. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------XP\SQLEXPRESS  Server name:    Database name:    User name:    Password:    All data is present except my password when i enter it, it works fine and the report works too with no problems. How do i ...

Cassini, VS.Net and Crystal Reports

Can we generate crystal reports programmatically using embedded crystal reports designer in visual studio ide?
I have a requirement like i have to generate crystal report based on the user's requirements during runtime?Can u suggest me how to do?...

How to create Report Letter with multiple pages in C# and Crystal Report.Net using VS2008
Hi experts, I’d like to have some helps from you guys. I need to create an app with C# and Crystal Report.Net using VS 2008 for a Landscape & Nursery company.  The company will send out coupon letters to some customers who purchased something from the company within past 12 months. Users will get customers’ info from database using zip code. I have a drop-down control to populate all the eligible zip codes. The following 8 data fields will be retrieved from database; FirstName, LastName, Address1, Address2, City, State, ZipCode, and PreviousPurchased. I have a pre-defined Crystal R...

Reporting services, Crystal reports ?
Hi, I'm very new in using VS.  How can I export report ?  I find it has Report, Crystal Reports controls in Toolboxs.  If it's possible, please explain the procedures as detail as possible. Thanks a lot ! stephen     I reference some online tutorial about how to use Crystal Report in VS 2005.  Follow the instruction up to connect database using "OLD DB SQL Server" and logon the server.  It prompted me Server name, User ID, Password and Database.  I typed "localhost" for Server name (suggested by tutorial).  Does User ID ...

Crystal reports to Reporting Services
Crystal reports to Reporting Services Is there any way I can convert Crystal reports to Reporting Services instead of creating reports again in Reporting Services?   HI,  JIM.H. You can check out this great article. Hope it helps Converting Crystal to Reporting Services http://blogs.msdn.com/gsnowman/archive/2005/10/12/480305.aspx If i misunderstand you about your question, please feel free to correct me and i will try to help you with more information. I hope the above information will be helpful. If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know. It's my p...

Web resources about - Can a .net web service return a crystal report .rpt object to use as a report source? - asp.net.crystal-reports

United States Department of Health and Human Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS ) is a Cabinet department of the United States government with the goal of protecting ...

Pinery Fire: Country Fire Service declares fire is contained as residents confront widespread devastation ...
THE deadly Pinery fire — which has been fully contained — destroyed or severely damaged 87 homes that are now considered uninhabitable, Premier ...

State shuts down Aboriginal children's ear screening service
The state government has cut off funding for a Perth Aboriginal children's ear clinic, despite its rating of 'outstanding' in an independent ...

The capex data has a services blind spot
The latest investment figures overstate the importance of the mining industry and exclude several services sectors that account for half of all ...

Australian Public Service devoid of policy? 'Crap', says MP Stuart Robert
Minister slams comment that federal bureaucracy is a policy-free zone and calls for shared services revolution.

Survivors of Paris terror attacks attend memorial service
PARIS ended a period of mourning for the victims of last fortnight’s terror attacks with a solemn memorial service attended by 1000 survivors ...

Malcolm Turnbull calls a ceasefire in the war on the public service
Malcolm Turnbull is already taking a very different approach than Tony Abbott to the public service.

Amazon shows off prototype drone for future delivery service in new video
... was released on Sunday (and features Top Gear ’s Jeremy Clarkson). The video offers an updated look at what the company’s drone delivery service ...

Volvo launches in-car package delivery service in Gothenburg
Filed under: Volvo , Europe , Technology This Christmas, Santa's reindeer will deliver presents to Volvo owners in Gothenburg, Sweden, as part ...

One-day sale: Get an extra 15% off all VPN services
If you want your private information to stay private and away from the prying eyes of snoops and hackers, getting online with a VPN service is ...