Web.config AND Custom Web Controls

Hi,

I've got defined a key with a value in web.config file and I want to read this value from a web control CS file (ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["key"]).
When the app is running, everything seems to be right, but the value is empty.
Is it possible to access web.config values from web control files?
Martin
0
placek_martin

running 2 web.configs in the same website 1 in /web.config and one in /swf/web.config
Im having issues doing this. and when i remove the authentication from the swf/web.config it still doesnt seem to be applying to the child website at all. Whats the proper way to set a child website? Thanks!!  The lower most web.config overrides all previous settings. So if you remove the section from the /swf/web.config whatever settings you have in the web.config in the next higher level will have an effect on the content of the child folder.So instead of removing a section, try giving appropriate settings in the /swf/web.config....

Web Deployment Project - Config Properties
I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file. HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and bui...

Web.Config

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

Merging my web.config.mylibrary with the web.config
I see multiples web.config files in the framework 2.0 folder.  There is a way to had a web.config.mylibrary file that contains part of the configuration section.For example, I want that the profile section to be in the web.config.mylibrary file and when the web site will be load, the two web.config will be merge.  Is it possible to such thing ? Hi Biz, It is possible to-do this using the configSource property on configuration section elements.  You could then store different configuration sections in different configuration files in a distributed way.Here is a MSD...

Web Deployment Projects: Web.config sections <system.web>
I like "Web Deployment Projects" a lot - WELL done!I encounter the following by trying to replace the system.web config section in Web.config.During the build I get   Web.config (1): error WDP00002: missing section system.web.I can replace other parts of the Web.config, like appSettings, connectionStrings and even system.runtime.remoting, but not system.web.Any ideas? Thankx! I think you have the honors of finding the first bug.  We're using Configuration.Sections[] to acess the replaceable sections and it doesn't appear to work with system.web.I'll enter the bug. ...

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

web deployment project won't compile when doing a web.config file section replacement on a custom section
The custom section in my web.config file looks like: <configSections>    ....    <section name="management" type="Integration.CustomConfiguration.ManagementSection, Integration.CustomConfiguration" />    ....</configSections> .......<management>    ....</management> The web project builds fine, however, when I attempt to build using a deployment project (so that I can do web.config file section replacements) I get the following error:Error    34    An error o...

Should local Web.config overwrite Production Web.config
I have a hosting service that supporst ASP.net 2.0.  I have an SQL Server 2005 Express account with them.  I have just started using them and have written my first web app. I have read quite a few things but it is not clear to me whether or not when I copy my web site (using VWD) if I should copy the web.conf file or not.  My local app runs fine but after copying everything to my production web site, I am not able to access the production web site in my browser.  I suppose it may have something to do with the question I've asked concerning Web.config. Is there a partic...

Web Custom Control within a Web Custom Control
I was wondering if this can be done and how. I've created a simple custom control that displays a header which is my first custom control. So I'm just a baby when it comes to this.. Within the header I currently have a property for breadcrumbs which is a string. What I would like to do is have the breadcrumb property  be a Link Button List. I did find a custom control of a Link Button List which is exactly what I wanted. My question is how can/do  I include this into my custom control? Can it done? How? Please help? I'm at a lose here.   Susan You should be able to do ...

Web.Config error when deploying a web service
I have been building a simple distributed app with a web service and have had it working perfectly on my test setup (My WinXP Pro as the client, SmallBusinessServer 2k3 / IIS 6 / .Net Framework 1.1). When deploying the web service to our production server (Small Business Server again, identical setup, I believe) using VS.net 2003 and a simple copy project deployment I receive the following error. Can anyone help ? Error code as follows: Server Error in '/DimEX' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error ...

Web User Control & web.config
Hi,  I have a Visual studio solution only with web user controls. How must I configure the web.config file for AjaxControlToolkit?  I added this lines to my web.config:<httpHandlers> <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/> <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/> <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false&qu...

how to encrypt web.config during web application deployment
I am developing a web application using ASP.NET, VS 2008, Framework 3.5I want to encrypt my web.config at the end of application installation (Installer.Commit event).How do I do this ? Check this.. http://visualstudiomagazine.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=2752 http://blogs.msdn.com/publicsector/archive/2005/11/08/490319.aspxMy Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." If you want to encrypt your web.config you can have a look at this link http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/01/09/434893.aspxFaraz Shah KhanMCP, MCAD.Net, MCSD....

app.config and web.config deployments and installers
I use web deployment projects for changing web.config values based on the configuration build types I have setup (dev/test/stage/prod) and it works excellent for building installers in multiple environments.  Now, I am trying to do the same the Windows Applications.  How can I automate the changing of app.config values based on the build configuration (dev/test/stage/prod)?  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,Chris...

Web Deployment Project multiple Web.config
I have found an easy way to have multiple web.config files and have Visual Studio Copy the correct one into the project depending on the configuration. Just add a copy tag to the taret tag like so. <Target Name="AfterBuild"> <Copy Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Staging|AnyCPU' " SourceFiles="$(SourceWebPhysicalPath)\webDeployStaging.config" DestinationFiles="$(OutputPath)\Web.config"></Copy> <Copy Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' " SourceFiles="$(SourceWebPhysicalPath)\webDeployProduction.config" DestinationFiles="$(Outpu...

Custom Web Control inside another Custom Web Control
Hi I created a custom web control (CusWebNew) that displays some textboxes by adding them to the ControlCollection of the webcontrol. I also created a custom webcontrol (CustWebButton) that inherts from Button control, and overrided the OnClick function. When I use CustWebButton on a regular web form, it seems to function correctly. However, when I added to be part of the ControlCollection of CustWebNew, it stops to work.   Any ideas why? Thanks Hey, What do you mean by stops to work?  Explain what you are trying to do with it and what it doesn't do.Brian"Trust in the...

custom control in web.config
Hello,I saw the web.config file is not including custom control information in the <pages> element:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/az5kdaz0.aspxIs this for all custom controls?  Is this how it will be referenced?  Is this a VWD thing, or for all visual studio products?  Just curious.Thanks.Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4). I'd say this is an alternative to including the register directives at the top of each page/...

Isolating web.config from it's parent web.config
I need to run an application withing a sub-directory of another application. Basically, I need to install an old version of DNN as a subdirectory of a current DNN2 installation. I get a problem of conflicting web.configs. The subdirectory want to use it's parent directory's web.config file. I thought by making the subdirectory an "application" in IIS that it would use the web.config in it's own folder but instead, it is referenceing the web.config file from it's parent. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Stef. Stef, Because of the hierarchical nat...

Deploying Web App > web.config hell ?
Hello, for the last 8 hours or so I'm trying to deploy one of my personal apps on a hosted server. I've asked the host to set the folder both as a virtual directory and as a web application. Both is done and confirmed. Now I've uploaded the application (compiled using the Project Copy in VS.NET) including the bin folder. Whenever I access the app I get this error: http://www.europeum.net/dev/MMSNET/admin/index.aspx The web.config file looks like this (standard): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <system....

Web deployment project will not merge web.config
I have it merging _most_ web.config changes, like <appSettings> and such.   However, I cannot get it to merge the <system.net> one, which has my smtp server specified.  Build always says it cannot find the <system.net> section, which is definately there. Thanks for reporting this. We are currently investigating the cause of the problem (we may be a little slow getting back to you as many people are on vacation). We'll attempt to have a fix available for the next web download.Bill HiebertVisual Studio Web Tools...

Customize the published web.config file in a web app
We are a team developing an ASP.Net web app. We are facing the following situation: each development machine needs a slightly different web.config file. For example,each local developer machine.the continuous integration server.the open sandbox website.the production website.How do I customize the published web.config (through MSBuild for ex.). Does anyone has an idea on the matter? Thanks in advance,Joanneshttp://www.lokad.com   One possible solution is: - select one Web.Config (I usualy select development one) as a starting point - create XSLT files for any other Web.Con...

Web Crawlers Web.config and .Net Roles/Membership
 I have a subfolder in my asp.net 3.5 application that contains a Web.config file that only allows certain roles to access one of the pages. My question is whether or not web crawlers can index that page's content.http://www.geneangelo.com web crawlers crawl only on publicly accessible sites (as anonymous user)Patrick OliverosWeb Developer - Emerson Electric Asia, Ltd. - ROHQwebthinker.wordpress.com  Great, thanks a lot.http://www.geneangelo.com...

Binding a Web Control to XML Web Config Key
Hi, I would like to know how is it possible to bind a Web Control ( a TextBox ) to a XML Key from the Web Config Files. The aim is to write a key into the Web Config file which represents the TITLE page for each page of my project. Regards, Jerome...

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

Web resources about - Web.config AND Custom Web Controls - asp.net.config-deploy

Paris attacks: ‘Did your French gun control stop a single f-ing person from dying at the Bataclan?’
Band's frontman supports the National Rifle Association and is a gun enthusiast. Such views seem incongruous in the city of love.

WA fires: Harvey bushfire threatening Brunswick contained and under control
A bushfire that threatened parts of Brunswick has been further downgraded to "advice" as the threat to lives and homes receded.

Inside the wild—and wildly successful—early years of mission control
Mission Control, on the third day of Apollo 8. Seen on the TV monitor is a picture of Earth telecast from the spacecraft 176,000 miles away. ...

Through Google Glass — Mission Control at boj World Headquarters on a snowy Monday morning
YouTube caption: "CEO Gray Cat considers our larger strategy going forward while I do all the little stuff. Works out well for us."

Eagles of Death Metal playing Paris tonight; Jesse Hughes speaks out against gun control
Eagles of Death Metal are returning to Paris tonight (2/16) to "complete" their show at Le Bataclan that was a site of the Paris terror attacks. ...

Kids Today Can Whip Around In Mini Electric Cars While Their Parents Control The Action From An App
... my eye as a girl whipped it around a mini track at the convention center, a big ol’ grin on her face. My 8 y.o self is jealous: Parents control ...

It’s Time For Some Common-Sense Phone Control
Our children are in danger. Our children. Allison Yang, WPIX: The NYPD is urging people not to leave their cellphones near their beds because ...

How Tennessee’s Head Trainer Took Control Of The Allegations Against Peyton Manning
After Jamie Naughright said she was sexually harassed by Peyton Manning, the first person she called at the University of Tennessee was head ...

One weird trick is cruise control to shorter XCOM 2 load times
XCOM 2 is pretty hitchy and janky, though I've not encountered any game-breaking issues. Still, worse than the lazy virtual camera man too busy ...