Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project

I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine.  I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects.

I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken.  Whenever I try to build, I get the following error:

error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'.
Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED.

I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help.  I've looked at the wdproj file and found the line:

...\..\Visual Studio Projects\MyWebApp

Everything seems right, but there is obviously a problem.

Any ideas?
Matt
0
mschumacker

Did you try UN-checking the option "Allow precompiled site to be updatable" in the Property Page of the Web Deployment Project?

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
3/4/2009 11:12:50 PM
Yup....just did it again to check.  Still have the same problem that it can't find the code behind class.  Obviously its not finding the DLL.

Any other thoughts anyone?
Matt
0
mschumacker
3/5/2009 1:58:42 PM

Could you provide the actual exact detailed steps so that anyone with VS2008 can follow your steps from scratch and reproduce the error? This might help spot if you missed something in your set up.

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
3/5/2009 3:56:28 PM
Create a Web Application, and add a couple subdirectories with pages in them.  You don't need much and make sure it is building correctly.

Add a Web Deployment Project and try to rebuild.  I usually fail on the pages located in the first subdirectory.  It simply cannot find the DLL.
Matt
0
mschumacker
3/6/2009 9:42:37 PM

Hopefully someone else might have some insight based on the information you provided so far.

Here is what I tried based on what I understood of your description, and I get no errors. If you could provide similar steps based on what you tried, it might help spot if you missed something.

1. Start VS2008.

2. File -> New -> Project -> ASP.NET Web Application. Choose ".NET Framework 2.0". Name: WebApplication5. Location e:\bugs. UN-checked "create directory for solution."

3. In solution explorer, right click on the web application and select Add -> "New Folder".

4. Right click on "NewFolder1", and select Add -> New Item.

5. Choose "Web Form". Click ok.

6. Right click on the project, choose "Add Web Deployment Project".

Name: WebApplication5.csproj_deploy

Location: e:\bugs\WebApplication5.csproj_deploy

7. Right click on the web deployment project, select "Build".

No errors.

If you view the "Build" output window, it says the following at the end:

========== Build: 2 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

Web Deployment Project & Web Application Project
Hi.It seems as if you don't have a "traditional" web project (i.e. not a Web Application Project) in your solution, the "Add Web Deployment Project..." option is  not available for a Web Application Project. However, once you add a "non-Web-Application-Project-web-project", the option appears.Thought I'd share if anyone else runs into the same issue. (Or maybe it's just my environment) Daniel Brüntesonhttp://www.numlock.se Hi Daniel, Do you have the lastest version of Web Application Projects?  I have the February release installed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/i...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web Application Project & Web Deployment Project, but not aspnet_merge.exe?
I have a solution that is made up of 1 Web Application Project, and several different Class Library projects.  When I build the solution, I build the class libraries first and the Web App Project builds last.  Everything works perfectly.I have specific namespaces set up such as:MyCompany.MyProject (Class Library)MyCompany.MyProject.Common (Class Library)MyCompany.MyProject.Persistance (Class Library)MyComapny.MyProject.Web (Web Application Project, that references the other projects)I have been deploying to a staging area via the Publish Web feature of VS 2005 (which then publ...

Web Deployment Project outputs too many files from Web Application Project
Hi everyone, I just downloaded and installed the final releases of the Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project. I created a simple Web Application Project, and then a Web Deployment Project for that web app. When I click Build on the Web Deployment Project context menu, the build succeeds, but in the target folder, I find more files than are necessary. Included are the vbproj, "My Project" folder, "obj" folder, and the files within those folders. This may be naive, but I was expecting the same results as right-clicking the Web App project and choosing Publish; just with the add...

Web resources about - Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project - asp.net.config-deploy

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...