Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config

I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!!

My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.

Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"

Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom Action, create a Custom Action and add some TextFields and apply user data to the appsettings.config file.

 Then add this Custom Action to the Setup Project.

this should result in the following scenario, the insaller appears, user enters data for the appSettings Values, these are written to the appsettings.config file, this file is then applied to the websites web.config and overwrites the appSettings.

This does seem like alot of work for something so small.. Is there another way???

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
0
learnerplates

CustomAction in Setup and Deployment projects won't work if you're updating many sections in web.config as number of input fields you can show is limited to two dialog boxes with 3 inputs.

If you're updating lot of sections like we do, we're right now looking at rolling-out a windows application and launch this as part of the installation so that

end-user can udpate the varous sections.  Have you got a better idea or easy way of accomplishing the same?

0
grashley

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Project - Config Properties
I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file. HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and bui...

Web Deployment Projects: Web.config sections <system.web>
I like "Web Deployment Projects" a lot - WELL done!I encounter the following by trying to replace the system.web config section in Web.config.During the build I get   Web.config (1): error WDP00002: missing section system.web.I can replace other parts of the Web.config, like appSettings, connectionStrings and even system.runtime.remoting, but not system.web.Any ideas? Thankx! I think you have the honors of finding the first bug.  We're using Configuration.Sections[] to acess the replaceable sections and it doesn't appear to work with system.web.I'll enter the bug. ...

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Web Deployment Project multiple Web.config
I have found an easy way to have multiple web.config files and have Visual Studio Copy the correct one into the project depending on the configuration. Just add a copy tag to the taret tag like so. <Target Name="AfterBuild"> <Copy Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Staging|AnyCPU' " SourceFiles="$(SourceWebPhysicalPath)\webDeployStaging.config" DestinationFiles="$(OutputPath)\Web.config"></Copy> <Copy Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' " SourceFiles="$(SourceWebPhysicalPath)\webDeployProduction.config" DestinationFiles="$(Outpu...

so confused, different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project
I am so confused. Want to know what is the different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project. I have already completed a web application project. What am i going to use? Deployment or Setup?Thanks so much in advance!Justin so far i know both is useful.to get the best compile options use web deploy project.to install the web on other machine/deliver to user, use web setup project (that containing web deploy project output). Thanks Trance...

Web deployment project will not merge web.config
I have it merging _most_ web.config changes, like <appSettings> and such.   However, I cannot get it to merge the <system.net> one, which has my smtp server specified.  Build always says it cannot find the <system.net> section, which is definately there. Thanks for reporting this. We are currently investigating the cause of the problem (we may be a little slow getting back to you as many people are on vacation). We'll attempt to have a fix available for the next web download.Bill HiebertVisual Studio Web Tools...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

Deploying a web project without overlaying local web.config
I want to start deploying a web project instead of source code.  I have at least two problems I need answer for. 1.  I am converting an existing ASPc project and there are still ASPc pages.  Will they stay and still execute as usual even though the rest of the pages are just markers to code contained in a DLL? 2.  I have 41 customer sites.  Each site has a different ConnectionString section in the Web.Config.  They also have different appSettings Section because of different parameter settings for each site such as Number of Licenses, Proxy Server settings, ju...

How to remove an element from web.config between environments in a web deployment project
 Hi all,  Our hosting provider requires all asp.net apps to run with medium trust level, so in the web.config for our dev environment we have the <trust="medium"> element inside of <system.web> so that we can be somewhat assured we don't do something that won't function when we deploy. The problem is that our provider has this locked down and so we can't have this element present when we deploy (even though it's the same value that is required...).  Is there a simple way to use some sort of <remove ..> option like for conneciton stri...

Web Deployment Project & Web Setup Project source code issue...
I seem to be having an issue using the deployment add-in and the web setup project as it pertains to the source code being included in the msi package... I have website that I have tried to deploy to a remote server where I need to run the msi installer.  it runs just fine, but includes the aspx.vb files for each page.  I have tried to follow the directions on MSDN, but they do not mirror the Visual Studio 2005 Web setup project on my machine.  Anyway, is there an option I am missing somewhere to NOT include the vb source files (code behind)?Warren LaFrance Hi Warren,&nbs...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web resources about - Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config - asp.net.config-deploy

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

CICADA Autonomous Deployment Demonstration - YouTube
The Naval Research Laboratory Vehicle Research Section has successfully completed flight tests for the Autonomous Deployment Demonstration program. ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Canberra teen pens experience of Defence deployment through child's eyes in Soon
&quot;When you're as young as [seven] 13 months is ages: that's a Christmas and a birthday and an Easter and a whole family's worth of things ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...