Web Application Running running real slow when working with data over the Internet.

Hi,
I created web application based on the Visual Studio 2005 personal Web Site Starter Kit template that works but is slow when working with data (edit, select, update etc).  If I am just selecting menu items and/or navigating to diferent pages to view the master page records everything is ok or seems ok.

I attached a sql server 2005 DB that consists of part records to the website and creadted master and detail pages that have a gridview and formview control that allows the end-user to edit and enter data.  I have Drop Down List that update releted text fields when a selection is made.  I uploaded the web application and DB files to the ISP and modified the web.config file to point to the ISP DB locations to get the web application to fuction from the ISP site.

I have listed below where the web application slows down almost to a halt:

1. Edit a record in gridview can take up to 1 min and 40 secs to switch modes.
2. Select 3 or more records on a master page that will be displayed on a detail page can take up to 1 minute and 40 secs.
3. Drop down list with auto post bake can take up to 51 secs.

Please tell me what you think I did wrong and share your suggestions about how to improve the Web application speed.

Thinking outloud in my head of a backup plan:
Moreover, I check my internet speed and I should not have a speed problem, but, I do understand that I am pasing data over the internet versus the Intranet, Which makes me think, maybe I
should convert this to an desktop version where a user can upload and download data to the webserver db and just run the pages on their. It sounds nice but, would probally take a
lot of time to redo the whole application in a form version.

Questions:
Is ther a way to convert the webapplication into a desktop version without redoing everypage?

ptown
0
ptown

Make sure it is compiled in "Release" Mode not in "Debug"

blog.budigelli.com
0
ravivb
8/5/2008 7:39:05 PM

Thank you, I will look up "Release" Mode and let you know what happens.

ptown
0
ptown
8/5/2008 7:49:03 PM

 >1. Edit a record in gridview can take up to 1 min and 40 secs to switch modes.

The simple  answer to this is don't! Instead hyperlink from the detail line of the grid to an edit form. After updating or cancel, return top the list. Next give the user an option  to reduce the number of lines displayed.

How big is the dataset? If using SQL2005, you can fetch just enough records to display - this will reduce your pagestate. See:

TATWORTH
8/5/2008 8:13:08 PM

Thank you both,

This article helped me understand Visual Studio Debug and Release Modes: http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/archive/2005/11/15/2464.aspx.  I also enabled paging for the gridview and limit the page to disply 50 records at a time.

The only issue I noticed at this time is with the Drop Down List Auto Post Back.  When the I select a record the page refreshes which affects performance.  What do you suggest I do to improve this issue?

ptown
0
ptown
8/6/2008 3:35:47 AM

 >The only issue I noticed at this time is with the Drop Down List Auto Post Back.
>When the I select a record the page refreshes which affects performance.
>What do you suggest I do to improve this issue?

Is the auto post-back of the DDL required? If not just turn it off, otherwise use the Ajax.net cascading drop-down to limit the extent of the redraw.

TATWORTH
8/6/2008 5:00:08 AM

I have five DDLs that are required to use the Auto Post Back to trigger the DDL DataBound Events that are use to populate text in related text box fields after a DDL selection is made.  Thrree of the DDLS are cascading drop-downs that update the related text box fields after a selection in the third DDL has been made.  The other two are just DDLs that update a sinlge text box field afer a selection has been made.

 I will work on the Ajax.net cascading DropDown.  I added the Ajax Control Toolkit and will let you know what happens.

 Thank you again,

ptown
0
ptown

Running a web application within my existing web application
 Hi. I have a site set up in .net 1.1 that runs fine. A requirement came through recently to incorporate some elements by way of a third party application. I have set up a virtual directory inside my main application which points to the folder that contains the third party application. This virtual directory is also set up to run as an application. The third party application allows me to create forms. I have created a page in my main application that uses 1 user control from the third party application to display a form. I am getting the following error when trying to run the page:Serv...

Running Running Running
Name: John Harris Email: jkharrisatmindspringdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Running Running Running Comments: Why, does Firefox, even when mimimized, still takes up to 20, 30, 40% (or more) of my CPU on my Windows XP Pro computer. It seems to just happily chew up cycles. How do I get it to do nothing while minimized. Especially a problem with virtual machines. Thanks, John Harris Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers...

crystal web application is running really slow after deployment.
I have created a web application which has a defualt page which lists bunch of hyperlinks for crystal reports. The crystal reports linked in the hyperlinks are different aspx page with 'crystal report viewer' and 'cystal report source' asp control. I have also added the database connection code in each aspx for each crystal reports. The web application works fine on my development environment, i click the report links and then parameter page shows up and I enter parameters,  report pops up with data.   But after deploying the above application on different ser...

SQLCA works when application runs in PB not when application is run with Powerbuilder WDK.
Hi, My applications with out SQLCA run great through Powerbuilder WDK, my applications that contain SQLCA information doesn't. When I run the application in PB I get a splash screen and then the application starts. When I run it through PB WDK the splash screen starts and the I get a login box. No matter what I do it always show's up and when I hit OK I get the following SQLSTATE = 08001 error. How can I stop this from occurring? The SQLCA code and ini file are below. code: startupfile = "pds.ini" /* Populate sqlca from current PB.INI settings */ sqlca.DBMS...

running 2 web.configs in the same website 1 in /web.config and one in /swf/web.config
Im having issues doing this. and when i remove the authentication from the swf/web.config it still doesnt seem to be applying to the child website at all. Whats the proper way to set a child website? Thanks!!  The lower most web.config overrides all previous settings. So if you remove the section from the /swf/web.config whatever settings you have in the web.config in the next higher level will have an effect on the content of the child folder.So instead of removing a section, try giving appropriate settings in the /swf/web.config....

Help with web.config file to run web part application
 Hi,      I practiced a web part app.Do I need to configure any setting in web.config file to run my web part app.? or default web.config enough.i read the following articles:  http://www.u2u.net/Res/Article.aspx?ART=ASPNET20WebPartsWalkThrough http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/IntroToWeb_Parts.aspx   and in my app. i didnt configure initially.My page doesnt work.after that i watched the above articles web.config file.Then I Configured web.config file as mentioned in U2U Project web.config which i downloaded their free source code.Then ...

Web Application Runs Slow
What are the general practices for ensuring a web application will run at reasonible speeds? Thanks ddcjimmy hi ddcjimmy If I may give my opinion on this it would be Test, Test, and Re-Test......but as for a general practice I would say just try to keep your code clean, and accurate, there are lots of tutorials out there that relate to having an efficient website.........do a google search for 4 guys from rolla I'm pritty sure they have some articles on it....Also I would mention that this topic all depends on what is actually going into your website, for instance the st...

simple web application created in VB.net(VS.Net) will not run
I tried to run the ASP.net samples created by VB.net. But it doesn't run successfully. For example, I copied VB project folder at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VB\Project. From the web browser I typed http://localhost/VB/Project/Project.aspx Only the text for some LabelControls showed up, not the content Text generated by project.aspx.vb. Does that mean that I didn't set the IIS and ASP.net correct? Can you post the source code for your application. This may make it easier to debug what is going on. Thanks. Glen Kowalski Software Design Engineer / Test Microsoft Corporation This posti...

Web Deployment Project ,run database script,apply patch of web application
Hi all i got certain questions!,I made a setup with web deployment project.But i got doubt on certain things like..  Is there any way to run my database script to create DB while installing the application ?User should give parameters like sqlserver name,Database name,User name password ect.Is there any way to collect the serial key while installing the  application ?Is there any way to apply patch of web application through web deployment project.Please Help me to find out a solution for this    ...

Profiling Web Applications. Web Application runs slowly
Hi, I have a general question.  I'm fairly new to web programming (as opposed to windows programming).  I used the Microsoft Personal Web Site Starter Kit and added to it (see www.andrewdwalker.com ).  It works fine on my home computer but it is painfully slow to load up on GoDaddy.  I'm trying to figure out why.  Can someone tell what the methodology, tools, etc. are to figure out what parts are causing it to slow down?  I suppose I'm asking a few related questions.  They are: 1.  In general, on home computer or remotely, how does...

SR6 is running, and running, and running...
I started it last night at about 1130pm, now its 905 am. It seems to be stuck at 95% on the first partition, with 12 minutes left, and 4 hours 21 minutes elapsed, which I know is bologna. The SMART information has all dissapeared, except for the EEC stuff. Dynastat is not running, but it shows data moving across at a normal speed. I'm not totally sure it's hung up, but it may be taking it's time because it won't move the files in the current area, due to them all being marked as system/hidden. I hope it moves on. Torrance "Torrance Bell" <st...

How to Run my .exe file or Application in the Background using .NET Application like explorer.exe file is Running always in the Background...(you can see in task Manager..)
Hi , This is Sundar , i want to develope one small Application in windows or web ,that should send the mail continiously according to at what time scheduled in the application and that should Running in the Background always like windows service,SQL server ........ so , please help me ......................  what;s the problem if you develop an windows service and install it in your system.  http://www.15seconds.com/issue/021007.htmGive a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever.  see, i have created the Windows services and wh...

web.config error when running application
Hello All, We just installed VS 2005 on one of our development PCs.  The Development Web Server is still running .net framework 1.1. I converted our application from VS 2003 to VS 2005 .  (I am down to only 5 errors left to clean up) I am having a problem with Web services and Web references. Someone asked me to remove my web services from my solution, and add them in again.  I am not able to browse to these web services as they are not being found on the remote Server (I am building a solution on our remote development server) Any ideas?? This is the server page i get w...

Web resources about - Web Application Running running real slow when working with data over the Internet. - asp.net.config-deploy

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Seagate pushing non-PC storage for 2016 with focus on surveillance applications
... products for cloud computing, consumer electronics, surveillance and enterprise storage for 2016. Seagate expects surveillance-related applications ...