Signing and Versioning on a Website project with a Web Deployment Project

We recently had our Web Application tested through VeriTest for the Platform Test for ISV Solutions.  We passed everything except for the two following items:

·         Did the application binaries have valid file version information?·         Were all executables installed by the application signed?

I had posted a previous question in this forum about how to accomplish these things with a Website project and not a Web Application. The suggestion that I decided to go with was to use the Web Deployment Project. After I set up the Deployment project, I compiled the app. I noticed that there is no Product Version on the DLL. Some of the errors for the Versioning issue were missing Company Name, missing Product Name, and missing Product Version.   SO....

#1) How do I get my junk Versioned?

 #2) I created a keyfile to have the Web Deployment Project be able to Sign the compilation. How can I check to verify that it in fact did sign my compilation?

 TIA,
Jeremy

0
yermeyahoo

1.

Depending on your scenario, Web deployment projects might be able to help you with versioning. This articles have a few sections on how to do so.

2.

You can use the sn.exe tool to check various properties of the assembly. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k5b5tt23(VS.80).aspx

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

Deployment :: Publish Website vs Web Deployment Project
Hi All,   We have a Web Application that we have moved it form VWD to Visual Studio 2005 and are about to deploy. Our project type is currently a file based web project and we use web.config files in sub directories to control access.   We are wondering whether we should use the “Publish WebSite” option, or whether the new Web Deployment Project that has been introduced, is a better fit. (We have also looked into the Web Application Project option but that is not being considered at this point)   From our investigation, it seems that if we choose the “Publish Website” op...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

VS2005
I have brought a second programmer onto my website development team - both work remotely. The first programmer has been working on the project in VS2005 for nearly 2 years and has passed a copy of the source code to the second programmer and advised that it will only Build properly (ie without errors) if put together as a website project as opposed to a web application. The second programmer is also using VS2005 and has reported that Visual Studio doesn't give him the option of a website project template only web application or website deployment project. So he is using the website dep...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Deployment Project - Config Properties
I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file. HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and bui...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Web Project Conditional Compilation for Web Deployment Project
I need to compile a couple different configurations Release/Debug/etc. based on custom compilation constatns. My web pages code is based on the custom compilation constants. I wanted to modify web.config before compilation automatically, because the conditional Compilation Constants settings are moved to the web.config in VS 2005. The only way I found is to modify web.config before the build and modify back after the build is done. I created a custom class derived from Microsoft.Build.Utilities.Task. This class overrides the Execute() method. In this method I modify the specifed web.con...

Web resources about - Signing and Versioning on a Website project with a Web Deployment Project - asp.net.config-deploy

Software versioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Software versioning is the process of assigning either unique version names or unique version numbers to unique states of computer software . ...

Facebook Marketing API Versioning
Facebook's Ads API supports both versioning and migrations so that app builders can roll out changes over time. This guide talks about what's ...

Apple updates iBookstore for authors with enhanced versioning, larger in-book images
... sent out to authors and publishers on Thursday, Apple announced a number of new features recently added to the iBookstore, including versioning ...

Get free real-time backup and versioning with AutoVer
... up particular file types only (*.docx), ignore others (*.tmp), exclude particular folders or files, maybe files above a defined size. Versioning ...

BitTorrent Sync beta brings mobile support and versioning
... tool has entered beta status , and offers a number of enhancements, including support for mobile devices as well as a new versioning ...

Evernote doubles note size limits, adds versioning
A new Evernote update has added versioning controls, as well as doubling the size that individual notes can be.

BitTorrent Sync beta brings mobile support and versioning
After several months as an alpha release, BitTorrent brings new features to its decentralized file synchronization service.

Versioning RESTful Services
... that are not fully RESTful (for example, HTTP services that do not use hypermedia as a state transition mechanism). When talking about versioning, ...

Perforce Takes Federated Versioning to the Edge
Code submits are still committed to the master, but all other commands are entirely local

BitTorrent Sync Beta launches with Android app, file versioning
... polished release includes an Android app that syncs with computers and shares files with fellow Android users. The update also brings versioning ...