Runtime error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit

Hi,

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

I'm trying to create a web site in a windows 2003 server. It's just an empty page, the default one created by VS2008, with nothing in it. I create the site from my remote computer, connecting to the server (I have access to the server as well with a virtual desktop).

When I try to launch a web site in a remote site (F5 or Ctrl-F5) I get the Runtime Error:

'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.'

Checking the web I saw it could be caused by not including the

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

in <system.web> in the configuration file, but I have included it and I still get the same error.

Another possible solution is what I saw here:

http://vijaymodi.wordpress.com/2007/06/01/runtime-error-description-an-application-error-occurred-on-the-server-the-current-custom-error-settings-for-this-application-prevent-the-details-of-the-application-error-from-being-viewed-remotely/

However if I go to my IIS server and right click->properties on my web page, I don't have that "ASP.NET" tag. I have all the others, but not that one.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

Many thanks for any help..

Ale

0
AlanMcG

AlanMcG:
However if I go to my IIS server and right click->properties on my web page, I don't have that "ASP.NET" tag. I have all the others, but not that one.

Have you installed ASP.NET 3.5 on the server?

Jeff

jeff
10/2/2008 1:46:40 PM

 How can I check that? I have installed IIS. and in 'Administrative Tools' I have a couple of .NET Framework icons..

Does that mean it is installed?

Regards,

Ale

0
AlanMcG
10/2/2008 2:00:10 PM

Check C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework directory.  You'll see all the installed framework there.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce

 I have three folders there, named:

- 1033

- v1.0.3705

-v1.1.4322

Is that enough? Should I have something else there?

Many thanks for any help..

Ale

0
AlanMcG
10/6/2008 11:51:22 AM

Enough or not really depends on what your application needs.

Based on what you have there, your computer only have .NET 1.0 & 1.1 installed.  Note that the most current version is .net 3.5 sp1.  In another word, you are pretty behind.

I suggest you install .net 2.0 and 3.5.  You should be able to use Windows update to install them.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
10/6/2008 6:28:22 PM

It is beetre to view the error. Did you enable custom errors(Mode ="ON" ? can you paste the error ?

-1
rareach
10/7/2008 8:35:11 AM

 The error is:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

In my  web.config file I do have the tag

        <customErrors mode="Off"/>

0
AlanMcG
10/7/2008 9:14:46 AM

Bruce L:

Based on what you have there, your computer only have .NET 1.0 & 1.1 installed.  Note that the most current version is .net 3.5 sp1.  In another word, you are pretty behind.

I suggest you install .net 2.0 and 3.5.  You should be able to use Windows update to install them.

Hi!

That was it, after going through windows update I could install .net 2 and 3.5. However if I go to my page now in IIS and right click, the only possibilities I have are 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727 . Why do I not have 3.5 there? It is in the Framework directory, alrady checked..

Many thanks for any help!

0
AlanMcG
10/7/2008 2:22:52 PM

This is how MSFT like to confuse people.  .NET 3.0 / 3.5 is actually the new .NET framework but ASP.NET is still v 2.0.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
10/7/2008 5:48:41 PM

 Ok, that makes sense.. Stick out tongue

Thanks you guys!

0
AlanMcG
10/18/2008 5:39:57 PM

 Hello,

I also have the same problem with my virtual directory, but I have all the .net frameworks installed.

Please help, does it have anything to do with web service extensions, because when i do not use the virtual directory and use the wwwroot directory I get this error:

The page cannot be displayed BODY { font: 8pt/12pt verdana } H1 { font: 13pt/15pt verdana } H2 { font: 8pt/12pt verdana } A:link { color: red } A:visited { color: maroon }

The page cannot be displayed

You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

Please try the following:

  • Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory should allow execute access.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

0
adeshola

*** Repost of original locked thread of "webmaster@dotcom-sys.com" *** Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on rem...

Current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely...
 Hi everyone, I've just uploaded my ASP.NET application on a new web host. But now whenever I load any .aspx page, I get this error: Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on rem...

hosting error at brinkster.com (Server Error in '/' Application, Runtime Error )
HelloI have hosted my student project at brinkster.com, in my pc it runs quite fine, but at brinkster it gives following error messgae.  Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a &l...

GoDaddy Login control Error, Server Error in '/' Application. error: 26
Hi,  I have developed a website in asp.net and published the webpages and database to the remote server as per the instructions of godaddy help site article. I have also updated the connection string in web config file so that it points to the database on remote server. Site was working fine when I tested on my local site. connection string also works fine on remote server, which is proved by the grid view information displayed on the home page, however when I go to the Login Page and try to login I get the below error message and the same error message when I try to create a new user ...

Server error in '/' Application: Runtime error
I'm completely new to ASP.NET, and after some troubles, I finalle have created a master and content page without errors that tests perfectly. I'm trying to upload it now onto a server, and am having problems.. I've tried two different servers that support ASP.NET (brinkster and somee), but both times have come up with the same error when trying to access the content page. Here is what I'm getting: Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings...

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error
hi every body   can any one solve my problem. Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error .   i cannot able to access my server take a look at this...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823379 Are you trying to run the application through IIS? have you set up the correct version of ASP.NET in the properties window, under the ASP.NET tab for the application within IIS?Please remember to Mark As Answer if helpfulRegards,Christiandev, MCPD Web & MCTS Windows ...

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime error
I always get this error : "Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime error" when i want to launch my site, its online, and when i want to debug it localy it works fine, but only when i put it online I get that error...   Can somebody help me?  you need to set custom errors to "off" in your web.config so you can see the real problem (exception details) on the remote machine:<customErrors mode="Off" />Mike BellMy Code Blog Mike Bell:  you need to set custom errors to "off" in your web.config so you can see the real pr...

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error
Can somebody help please. I am new to Asp.net. I have redid my server with Win 2003 server. Installed Vs 2005. installed clubsite and modified it to suit my needs. When I run the app it does all the things fine. When I want to run the website from a remote machine i.e call the server and website i get the following error message   Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by br...

Server Error in '/' Application.- Runtime Error
************* Edited by moderator Adec *************** Inserted missing < code></ code> tags. Always include such tags when including code in your postings. Many readers disregard postings without the code tags. ************************************************** hi, i have some problem on asp.net, i would be very happy if somone can give me a hand here. i am traing to set up a page wich will access to the datsbase and shwo me some information . i get an erorr on the page : http://www.accounting.ws-solutions.org/index1.aspx the code is : <%@ Pa...

Runtime Error
Hi,I am working on this website, shared hosting account with godaddy.com. None of the aspx pages are working. It was working fine until yesterday. First I thought it must be some syntax error in web.config file, but everything looked fine. I then replaced it with a brand new bare bones web.config file. It is still not working. I changed the customerrors mode to off, it displays the same error. If its not the web.config file, can any one tell me what else could be causing this problem? Even dummy .aspx pages with nothing inside it will not work. Godaddy customer support sucks, they k...

Deployment error(Server Error in '/' Application.)
i have deployed website it giving following error. i have already set  mode ="off",but html pages are working fine  Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to b...

Server Error in '/' Application
I found other posts that were similar to my problem but not exactly.  I have a web app that I built in VS 2003. I built it on our intranet server but I do the development on my office pc. It makes debugging difficult to say the least but I was new to Visual Studio when I did it.  Anyway, periodically, I get the above error and have to go back into the IIS Admin Console and find that my application is no longer an application but just a folder. I have to recreate the application in the properties and then everything is fine until next time. The last time, I had a file that I had e...

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error
Help, I am trying to get the Community Starter Kit up and running on my host Interland. They provide the install routine etc. so all I do is select the option to install on my web. After installing I go to the Community URL (http://www.goodwhale.com/community/) and I get the following error: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error fro...

My remote site will not log-in or successfully create an account, it says 'RUNTIME ERROR' 'Server Error in '/' Application' (does work in local) PLEASE HELP! thanks
Hi, I have VB2005 and i made a form using the video from 'Get Started' and I used the default wizard (ie: Login, Create Account...) When i publish via frontpage i use 'FTP' first and then 'Frontpage or Sharepoint Services'. Note my host is ASP.net 2.0 enabled and Frontpage Server Ext. 2002... When i open my site www.thegamehouse.co.nz and go into create account, I create an account but when i click 'Create' it loads real slow for 10 secs then says the following: (Actual Error) Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the...

Web resources about - Runtime error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit - asp.net.config-deploy

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,

Toshiba expands ApP Lite processor family for wearable applications
Toshiba has announced the launch of TZ1201XBG, an application processor for wearable devices, as the latest addition to its ApP Lite family for ...