It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i #2

Hi All,

I built a website which works. I needed to be able to generate 2 versions of the same website so I built a tool that dynamicaly generates the DAL and BLL. It also copies various standard files from a template to the target source location. It also processes variouse source files to customise them based on certain settings. Anyway it all works. I can generate a version of the original site. However, my problem comes when I run the tool to generate my orginal site. I am unable to build it and I get the following error:

"It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

Any ideas?

Danny

0
Codescribler

Hi Danny,

I really cannot comment much about this as I do not know about the tool, but did you try to configure your Virtual Directory as an application in IIS (using the Create button in IIS->Website->Project->Properties->Virtual Directory Tab)?

-Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit
9/6/2006 7:10:05 PM

You have defined something in your web.config which can only be applied to the root level of a web application.  When you're creating the new site, you probably need to make the new folder into it's own virtual directory at the root level.

James
My Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters
0
jcw14
9/6/2006 7:10:11 PM

Thanks for your reply's, but I have found the answer.

jcw14 : You were basicaly right. The tool accidentaly generated the site into the App_Code folder. I therefore ended up with another web.config file in the 'new' root folder. Once I deleted the site and replaced it with my backup and set the correct root folder on my tool it worked like a dream!

I can now generate a customisable website based on the same base code. I am a happy coder this evening!

Thanks again for your replies!

Danny

0
Codescribler

I added this to my web.config as specified in the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000008.asp <authentication mode="Windows"/> I get this error when I try loading my aspx page: "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS." I checked my IIS virtual directory and it has a name in for the application name in it's properties so I don't get why I still have this err...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i
Hi i am getting this error, i am using visual studio 2005 and i have IIS 6, what do i need to do to rectify this problem, thank you. Can i also add that this error just came out of the blue, because the last time i started up the project it worked fine....

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i
Hi Friends  i host the applicatin on server.I got the  error as Virtual  Directory not cofigured.I am using .net frame work 2.0 and i create the virtual directory in application Server. I am using Form authentication for application. I checked  virtual directory is created successfully. I need help to set any other properties virtual directory properites.  Do you have a sub web.config files ? i mean config files other than the one in the main directory ? if so , please make sure to remove the <authentication> section from them. Regards,Anas G...

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure
Dear All, I am a newbie and this is my first time trying to run asp.net :) I was trying to deploy the wrox asp.net sample code and this is what I got when I tried to run it. I created a virtual directory called "wrox". I have changed the username in the machine.config <processModel> to: userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate" I thought it was supposed to run because it is WROX OFFICIAL SAMPLE CODE. Server Error in '/wrox' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configur...

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure
Hello. I got this error on my brinkster hosting.   I have a virtual directory and on the virtual directory is a fodler called webroot. and on this there are 7 subdirectorys according to each one of my domains.  As the error says. I cant create a virtual directory because its not a dedicated server.     Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. ...

Please HELP It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an ap
I have: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. I found: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0204.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0103.mspx but still can not FIX it can someone give me link what to do 1 by 1 to fix it 10x valhttp://www.montrealads.cahttp://www.whoiswho.cahttp://www.bluelabs.ca Hi, 1. Open the IIS Control Pan...

VS 2008 error 'It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 I am using VS 2008 on Windows XP. I downloaded the Ajax Control Toolkit. I am working on Liberty's Programming ASP.NET 3.5 AjaxDemo.aspx. When I hit F5 I get the following error message: "Error    1    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."  I do not have IIS on this machine. I checked out   http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...

Error 102 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 Hi there, i'm greatful if nayone can help me with it. i'm stuck with this error, trying to get to working but to no avail. Error    102    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.   ...\Web.config    389     i read lots of the posts but the solutions offered there did not resolve my problem. here is what i've tried...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level #2
I just love this error that pops up every so often.  I cannot figure out what the problem is this time.  The application is configured properly in my IIS as far as I can see: Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a vir...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level #2
Hi,    When I debug my websites,It showing one error    Error : It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. C:\Examples\Monitor\App_Data\Web.Config 26 What is that error? How to fix it? See if one of the fixes in this blog post works:http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! A...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. #2
 Hello.I am getting this error:. Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Source Error: ...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. #2
I get the above error when I place a web.config  in a sub directory. I have to have a login control at directory level only and not site wide. I created a virtual directory and placed the web.config here along with a login.aspx, I get the above message when I try to build my web site. I have VS2005, ASP.NET 2.0 Have a look at this blog, especially the second point. http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspxThanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You! Yes, figured this out: -thanks,  raghu1: Yes, figured this out: -thanks,  I don't think this i...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
I know there are some posts already regarding this and I've read them.  So please don't simply tell me that the web.config can't be in a subdirectory. Here's my situation...  I am a website designer and I have server space that I pay for (i.e. I can't bring up IIS on my desktop).  I do, however, have a Plesk control deck for my domain.  I have clients that I build website for.  How do I set up individual application directories under Plesk? For example: /client1/client2/client3etc.a different app in each directory for each of my clients in ...

error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
I'm getting this bizzare error when I try to debug an ASP.NET project. Details follow. I should also mention that I first used to get "this project is not set up for debug. Do you want to disable debuging for this project?" But I solved that one by allowing full control of my virtual dir to everyone. Here is the error I'm getting now. Please help! There is no info on this anywhere... Greg Server Error in '/Vpcs' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred durin...

Web resources about - It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i #2 - asp.net.config-deploy