How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project

I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done prior to creating the web setup project.

tgopi99

This article may help. Good luck!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z11b431t(VS.80).aspx

Thank you,
John M. Perry
0
jperry4
10/10/2007 12:20:49 AM

Have a look at the following as well.

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030806.htm

http://aspalliance.com/622
My Blog
http://Lspence.blogspot.com

(Please MARK this post as ANSWERED, if you find it helpful)
0
lspence

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Deploy project using Web Setup Project
Is there any way to set the version of .Net that the virtual direstory uses? When the msi from the Web Setup Project creates the virtual directory it seems to just set the .Net version to the version that the web site that the vertual directory was installed under....

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

so confused, different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project
I am so confused. Want to know what is the different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project. I have already completed a web application project. What am i going to use? Deployment or Setup?Thanks so much in advance!Justin so far i know both is useful.to get the best compile options use web deploy project.to install the web on other machine/deliver to user, use web setup project (that containing web deploy project output). Thanks Trance...

How to setup Windows authentication mode for a web application deployed using a web setup project ?
 Hi,I would like to know if it is possible to set up the authentication mode to "Windows Authentication" for a web application deployed on IIS using a web setup project from Visual Studio 2005 and also how to do that. I know that after deploying the web application using the MSI file I can manually edit the security settings from the IIS and set the authentication mode to "Integrate Windows authentication", but I would like to do this at deploy time. Since I was not able to do that, I tried an open-source project, Windows Installer XML v3.0 - this project ev...

Using Web Setup project to deploy precompiled web site
Hello:I am trying to deploy a precompiled web site using a web setup project. I only wish to include the precompiled dlls, not any content files. I create a Web Setup Project. I do not include the content files for the website. I COULD manually add files to the file system editor by browsing to the folder that contains the precompiled dlls and add each dll. This would not be an ideal solution for two reasons:- Each time a new page gets created, one would have to manually go back and add its precomiled dll to the web setup project if the project isn't set to batch compile. If it is set to bat...

Web Deployment using 'Web Setup Project'
Hi All, In 'Other Project Types', I select 'Web Setup Project' so that I can have a windows installer for my website. Everything is working fine but I am not able to compress all of the code pages into a single dll so that users will not able to view it. Currently, my windows installer will show both xxxx.aspx and  xxxx.aspx.cs pages instead of only xxxx.aspx. Note: In the project output group section, the VS2005 only has 'Content Files'. There are no other selections. Does any one have a suggestion? Thanks for any feedback! Greatly appreciated. Cheers, Frank Frank, To c...

Web Deployment Project & Web Setup Project source code issue...
I seem to be having an issue using the deployment add-in and the web setup project as it pertains to the source code being included in the msi package... I have website that I have tried to deploy to a remote server where I need to run the msi installer.  it runs just fine, but includes the aspx.vb files for each page.  I have tried to follow the directions on MSDN, but they do not mirror the Visual Studio 2005 Web setup project on my machine.  Anyway, is there an option I am missing somewhere to NOT include the vb source files (code behind)?Warren LaFrance Hi Warren,&nbs...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web resources about - How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project - asp.net.config-deploy

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

Project Gutenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most of the items in its collection are the full texts of public domain books . The project tries to make these as free as possible, in long-lasting, ...

Wrike Rises Above Other Project Management Software After Testing
Over the last year I had occasion to look at and purchase Task and Project Management software. I had several folks on different teams sign up ...

Get trained for a career in project management for $39
... change can be daunting—and expensive, when you’re starting your training from scratch. So if you’ve been thinking about a new career in project ...

Future Islands side project The Snails release Christmas song, playing shows
Future Islands singer Samuel T. Herring and guitarist/bassist William Cashion have another band called The Snails (not to be confused with the ...

Actress Lake Bell, first female voice of the iPhone, is taking over Hollywood one project at a time
... the time to direct, but the problem that I have just personally is that there are only so many years in my life to dedicate to certain projects. ...

Who Are Google’s Project Sunroof Partners?
... offers from solar installers to provide fast estimates of how much a homeowner might save by investing in a solar power system. Dubbed “Project ...

Retired Prof Hates Israel So Much She Won’t Help 13 Year Old With School Project
Retired Prof Hates Israel So Much She Won’t Help 13 Year Old With School Project

Sander/Moses Inks Deal With NBCU Int’l TV, Sells Projects To Amazon & ABC
Producers Ian Sander and Moses ( Ghost Whisperer, Reckless, Profiler ) have signed a first-look deal with NBC Universal International TV Production. ...