Help me for Server Error in '/' Application.

I am getting an error
Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 66:  </system.codedom>
Line 67:  <system.web>
Line 68:   <machineKey
Line 69:     validationKey="F9D1A2D3E1D3E2F7B3D9F90FF3965ABDAC304902"
Line 70:     decryptionKey="F9D1A2D3E1D3E2F7B3D9F90FF3965ABDAC304902F8D923AC"

Source File: E:\inetpub\vhosts\mywebsite.com\httpdocs\website\web.config    Line: 68

Show Additional Configuration Errors:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\inetpub\vhosts\mywebsite.com\httpdocs\website\web.config line 125)
It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\inetpub\vhosts\mywebsite.com\httpdocs\website\web.config line 188)
It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\inetpub\vhosts\mywebsite.com\httpdocs\website\web.config line 196)
Sections must only appear once per config file.  See the help topic  for exceptions. (E:\inetpub\vhosts\mywebsite.com\httpdocs\website\web.config line 229)

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

I am using Parallels Plesk to Host mywebsite on the remote server, while doing installation of DNN I get this error.
File manager shows (Listed below are few of Important Files and Folders)
mywebsite.com/httpdocs (Parallels suggested me that I should upload FTP my webapplication file on this folder)
mywebsite.com/httpdocs/DotNetNuke (Inside this Folder is my webapplication)
mywebsite.com/Website
mywebsite.com/Website/Install
mywebsite.com/Website/Install/install.aspx (I run this in URL)
mywebsite.com/web.config
mywebsite.com/httpdocs/web.config (This config file has lots of tags and settings provided by DNN)

Folder DotNetNuke is made virtual and 'create application' setting is also 'on' for this Folder
Kindly help me to resolve this issue, I have spent many sleepless nights worring about this issue.

-1
arunkw

 This means that you created a virtual directory instead of an application.
Instead of clicking on Default Website to create a virtual directory click on the parent of Default Website and click create application or create website.

If everything happens for a reason what is the reason for this error?
0
mpaterson

There are a couple of reasons can cause this issue.

Do you use multiple web.config files in your website directory or sub-directory? If so, please make sure that we don't set some attributes such as authentication in the sub web.config file.

You also can try to create the Application for your website on IIS (Select website -> Properties -> Select Virtual Directory tab -> Click Create button).

For more information, see http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
12/22/2008 8:36:05 AM

You uploaded the DotNetNuke files to /httpdocs/ and installed DNN to /httpdocs/DotNetNuke.  This means you have two sets of DNN files.  If you want DNN in /DotNetNuke, delete the web.config in /httpdocs.  Check the DNN forums for the correct installation method.

Jeff

jeff
12/22/2008 12:39:56 PM

I am newbie Smile Thanks for help, My earlier problem is solved it took me lot of time to resolve and write on forum sorry

What I did is I deleted the database and DotNetNuke files.

My development vendor gave me the published DotNetNuke file, I created new database, with new user, uploaded all the unpublished on FTP.

created Virtual directory, gave permission on DotNetNuke Folder, changed the web.config file.

Ran the default.aspx page, completed all the DotNetNuke Install Steps, I got the message

Congratulations, you have successfully installed DotNetNuke

when I clicked the Link  'Finished (Goto Site)' I got error message
'DotNetNukeError: - Version 04.07.00' without any details of error message

One point to note is that the URL now reads as

What might be the problem, I think I am so close yet so far. Kindly help me.

0
arunkw
12/31/2008 7:51:44 AM

From the URL it looks like that application is not able to get file /app_GlobalResources/locales.xml
Mention below are few important Files & Folders Structure on my FTP location
 questionpapers.com
 +---anon_ftp
 +---cgi-bin
 +---error_docs
 +---httpdocs
 | +---_private
 | +---_vti_log
 | +---App_Data
 | +---css
 | +---DotNetNuke
 | | +---Admin
 | | +---App_Browser
 | | +---App_Data
 | | +---App_LocalResources
 | | +---Bin
 | | +---Components
 | | +---Config
 | | +---controls
 | | +---DesktopModules
 | | +---Documentation
 | | +---images
 | | +---Install
 | | | +---App_LocalResources
 | | | +---Conitainer
 | | | +---Language
 | | | +---Module
 | | | +---Pakage
 | | | +---Protal
 | | | +---Scripts
 | | | +---Skin
 | | | \---Template
 | | +---js
 | | +---Portals
 | | +---Providers
 | | \---Resources
 | +---images
 | +---img
 | +---Library
 | +---picture_library
 | +---test
 | +---Website
 | | +---admin
 | | +---App_Browser
 | | +---App_Code
 | | +---App_Data
 | | +---App_GlobalResources
 | | +---Bin
 | | +---Components
 | | +---Config
 | | +---controls
 | | +---DesktopModules
 | | +---Documentation
 | | +---images
 | | +---Install
 | | +---js
 | | +---Portals
 | | +---Providers
 | | \---Resources
 +---httpsdocs
 +---private
 +---statistics
 +---subdomains
 +---vault_scripts
 +---web_users
 \---.security
I had created Physical Folder DotNetNuke (later on made virtual directory) which contains all the DotNetNuke published files from my development vendor, rest all files and folder are provided my hosting vendor.
I don't know if I did it right? or is it that I was not supposed to create a Folder DotNetNuke but to replace all the files and folders of /httpdocs/Website/ with DotNetNuke published files
I think my development vendor has not provided me Folders App_Code and App_GlobalResources from DotNetNuke published files? am I right?

0
arunkw
1/2/2009 3:21:33 AM

Don't use a .com extension in a folder, Windows treats it as an executable extension.  Also, the DotNetNuke forums can help with DotNetNuke errors.

Wipe the installation and reinstall again, using the latest DNN version, 4.9.1 (Not 5.0, different animal and just released with issues).  Follow the installation guide from DotNetNuke.com.

Jeff

jeff

My remote site will not log-in or successfully create an account, it says 'RUNTIME ERROR' 'Server Error in '/' Application' (does work in local) PLEASE HELP! thanks
Hi, I have VB2005 and i made a form using the video from 'Get Started' and I used the default wizard (ie: Login, Create Account...) When i publish via frontpage i use 'FTP' first and then 'Frontpage or Sharepoint Services'. Note my host is ASP.net 2.0 enabled and Frontpage Server Ext. 2002... When i open my site www.thegamehouse.co.nz and go into create account, I create an account but when i click 'Create' it loads real slow for 10 secs then says the following: (Actual Error) Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the...

Deployment error(Server Error in '/' Application.)
i have deployed website it giving following error. i have already set  mode ="off",but html pages are working fine  Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to b...

Server Error in '/' Application? Need help figuring out error message
I have successfuly created a web application, and have built and ran it on my PC under inetpub/wwwroot. Now when I deploy it to the company web server and try to run it I get the following error message. The message does not give me enough information to figure out what is wrong. Could someone pleae help me out?Here is the message:Server Error in '/' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error ...

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Server Error in '/' Application......help
I bought new hosting but getting the following error, the same app. is working at one free server. The guys at hosting company could'nt figure out this. I tried things what are suggested in this error but to no avail. Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be vi...

Server Error in '/' Application...Help!!!!!!!!
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am using the new VS2008 and when I run it locally it works great. But when I upload it to an IIS7 Server it blowsup every time, and no matter what I do it justs keeps doing the same thing. Here is the Error message that I get and it is the same everytime.  Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!   Server Error in '/' Application. Request is not available in this context Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and...

Help with Server Error in '/' Application
 hi whenever i try to go enter some site this comes up, does anyone know how to fix this. i am using window xp home thanks, Server Error in '/' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Source Error: The source code that generated this unhandled excep...

Help!! Server Error in '/' Application.
Hi Everyone,  I'm having some problems I need help with...  When I run my asp.net vb app in Visual Studio, it works fine, when I run it on a IIS server, when I login, it errors out! Any code that doesn't login works fine. I incorporated my ASPNETDB tables into an access database with a C# membership class.  I am using an Access data as my provider, Here is a portion of my web config. I have been searching foumns and such for the last two days.  Thanks Bill  <connectionStrings> <add name="Green CardConnectionString"connectionString=&...

server error in '/' Application Incorrect syntax near ','.
This code used to work now I get an error(error follows code)  can anyone tell me where I went wrong?[vbcode]i = 0            For i = 0 To 7                If requests(i) <> "" Then                    request = requests(i)                    Dim sql1 As String =...

GoDaddy Login control Error, Server Error in '/' Application. error: 26
Hi,  I have developed a website in asp.net and published the webpages and database to the remote server as per the instructions of godaddy help site article. I have also updated the connection string in web config file so that it points to the database on remote server. Site was working fine when I tested on my local site. connection string also works fine on remote server, which is proved by the grid view information displayed on the home page, however when I go to the Login Page and try to login I get the below error message and the same error message when I try to create a new user ...

Server Error in '/' Application
Hi, I am new with asp.net i made very simple program , like if u press button then in label1 it will show fosiul. I can run it with my computer , but when i uploaded it at my web server, fosiul.co.uk , then it giving me Server Error in '/' Application error message and also Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To ena...

help! Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application.
When I finish install the dnn2.0 , the page beccome: Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error: An unhandled exception was...

PLEASE HELP! Server Error in '/' Application.
 I've tried to find an answer to this question but as of yet haven't.  Let me preface this by saying that I don't really know much about asp.net as I'm just beginning to learn about it.  I followed the simple steps to set up my personal web page, made sure asp.net 2.0 is set up on my host/server and copied/ftp'd my site to the host.  I previously deleted off of it anything that was there, so there should be no file on the server that is causing problems there.  But when I try to pull up my page in a browser this is what I get: Server Error in '/' Application. ...

Please Help : Server Error in '/' Application.
Hi , i am running a simple aspx web on win 2000 Pro IIS Server. i am continuously getting the following error, it happen with every aspx extension. i checked the web but didnt find any correct solution. i have installed dotnet frame work. PLeaseeeeeeee , help me . here is the error ******************************* Server Error in '/' Application. Server cannot access application directory 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current ...

Web resources about - Help me for Server Error in '/' Application. - asp.net.config-deploy