Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project

I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .

0
Minix007

Global.ascx or .asax?

The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as content rather than as a compiled file?  If this was the case then asp.net would create a separate temporary assembly for it.  Otherwise it's possible that your global.asax calls code in an unsigned assembly, and if you sign an assembly all its references must also be signed.

Andrew
blog.andrewrivers.co.uk
0
wildmoose
4/16/2009 3:59:18 PM

Sorry typo..It's the Global.asax and Global.asax.cs. The Global.asax is mark as content and Global.asax.cs is mark as compile. My options selected in the  Web Deployment project are Merge all outputs to a single assembly, Enable strong naming, and APTCA. Without signing anything, I've noticed that the output assembly  that  web deployment creates cannot be the same name as what is put out before the merge, but this seems to go away after I delete both Global.asax and Global.asax.cs.

0
Minix007
4/16/2009 5:05:42 PM

In the web project have you signed the assembly in the project settings?  All the web deployment project should have to do is package up the website, so if the assembly is already signed then that should be OK.  Try signing the assembly in the web application and seeing if it compiles OK with your global.asax in there.

Andrew
blog.andrewrivers.co.uk
0
wildmoose
4/17/2009 9:09:53 AM
I tried it your way which is to use the properties of the HelloWorld project to sign the assembly instead of using the web deployment project settings. I also use a different assembly name in the web deployment project because it won't work otherwise. The Web Deployment project outputed two assemblies - HelloWorld.dll and HelloWorld _deploy.dll. I used sn -T to see if these assemblies were sign and HelloWorld _deploy.dll was not. Only HelloWorld.dll was signed.

I change my web deployment settings to use HelloWorld.dll as my assembly name, which is the same as my main output without web deployment. Deleted my global and the code behind. Readded with the default  Global.asax and Global.asax.cs and compile using Web Deployment. I recieve a compile error - "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference."  I tried this again using the default Global.asax file from web site project and not web application project, which doesn't have the code behind - it's all inline. Compile and recieved no errors and there was only one assembly. I never had any success in converting my original Global.asax to use inline so I don’t believe this to be a work around.

0
Minix007
4/17/2009 4:01:27 PM

I tried it your way again but this time signing inable in both projects and the results were that both assemblies outputed by Web Deployment were sign. Is it possible to inable APTCA in both projects?

0
Minix007

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

Web Deployment Project & Web Application Project
Hi.It seems as if you don't have a "traditional" web project (i.e. not a Web Application Project) in your solution, the "Add Web Deployment Project..." option is  not available for a Web Application Project. However, once you add a "non-Web-Application-Project-web-project", the option appears.Thought I'd share if anyone else runs into the same issue. (Or maybe it's just my environment) Daniel Brüntesonhttp://www.numlock.se Hi Daniel, Do you have the lastest version of Web Application Projects?  I have the February release installed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/i...

Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project
Hi,  When I attempt to deploy a dynamic data web application using a "web deployment" project, only about half of the folders inside the "DynamicData" folder get copied properly. Here are the steps to reproduce. Prerequisites: Visual Studio 2008 .NET 3.5 SP1 Web Deployment projects add-on installed (I forget the exact name of this tool) In VS2008, go to File, New Project, Dynamic Data Web Application Right click on WebApplication1 and select "Add Web Deployment Project..." Accept the defaults and click OK. Right clik the web dep...

Web Deployment Project IIS Deploy error
I get the following  when I build locally  if exist ".\TempBuildDir\" rd /s /q ".\TempBuildDir\"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebSite -p C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite -f -c .\TempBuildDir\ Running aspnet_merge.exe.C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\aspnet_merge.exe .\TempBuildDir -o WebSite_deploy -a  -r -copyattrs Successfully merged '.\TempBuildDir'.if exist "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release\" rd /s /q "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trun...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web resources about - Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project - asp.net.config-deploy

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications rise 6.2%
Home loan borrowers seem undeterred by the highest interest rates in five months.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...

Google pushing virtual reality applications
Google has been pushing its R&D into virtual reality applications and is looking to enhance YouTube with the ability to provide virtual reality ...

ARM Math Libraries to Speed HPC Applications
At the SC 15 show, the company will demonstrate the libraries that will improve the performance of applications running on 64-bit ARM systems. ...