Difficulty deploying Visual Studio 2008 ASP.NET 3.5 Web Application to Windows Server 2003 with .NET 3.5 installed.

Hi,

 I've developed an ASP.NET Web Application using .NET 3.5.  It follows the tiered software architecture of having a DAL, BLL and Presentation Layer.  The application uses many of the AJAX Controls that can be found in the AJAX ControlToolKit i.e Collapsible Panels.  The Application can be built and launched successfully on my local machine, however any attempt to Publish it to a remote server(with Windows Server 2003 installation and .NET 3.5 installed) is met with failure.  I've tried copying the project from my local machine onto the server into a website created within IIS 6,  but this has also resulted in failure.

The DAL contains Typed Datasets, would this have any bearing on deployment?

I've read in several forums that IIS 7 is a requirement in order to successfully delopy any .NET 3.5 Web Applications...is this true?

If it is possible to deploy a .NET 3.5 Web Application using IIS 6 could someone please detail the steps.

As a side note...a question concerning the difference, if any, regarding connectivity.  Do Typed or Untyped datasets use different means of connection to persistant storage? i.e SQL Server 2005.

Thank you.

0
TigerKevENG

What do you mean by "failure"? What are the actual steps you tried and the errors reported?

.NET 3.5 should work with IIS6 too.

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
9/12/2008 4:40:13 PM
When I first discovered that I couldn't deploy the application using Visual Studio 2008's publish option, i opted to copy all the application files onto the server.  But when I went to browse one of the pages all that was displayed was the IE default page for when there is no connection or viewable content.  I've tinkered with the configuration of the Website, changed the pool, made sure the current version of ASP.NET was used, tried assigning a new port number, i've turned on and off Windows integrated authentication, i've even tested deployment with a very simple application containing nothing but a textbox and button control to see if it was the DAL and connection to SQL Server.  Despite all this, still no success.  I am stumped!...lol
0
TigerKevENG
9/14/2008 7:55:38 PM

Try setting up your server so that a very simple Default.aspx (with code snippets) works correctly. Also make sure in IIS you set the web site folder as a virtual application.

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping

Develop in .NET 3.5...Deploy on .NET 3.0...Assembly strong name issue in web.config
Hi. I develop locally using web developer express 2008. I have .NET 3.5 installed on the development machine.I am trying to deploy to a Windows Server 2003 machine running.NET 3.0.Not surprisingly, I get an error about the strong assembly names referenced all over my web.config when I try to access the site on the production server.I don't think any of my code truly relies on .NET 3.5--it should all be compatible with the 3.0 framework.Here's my error message:Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77...

Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server?
Hello,I am considering developing an ASP.NET app in VS 2008 using LINQ.  I know LINQ is .NET 3.5 specific but the IIS6 web server I need to deploy to only has .NET 3.0 installed (and I can't change that).So my question: can I compile and deploy a .NET 3.5 app on a web server with .NET 3.0 on it?  If so, how - and is there any official MSFT documentation? thanks,Justin Try this out it may work, if not you won't be using Linq unless they upgrade. http://linqinaction.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/09/05/linq-support-on-net-2.0.aspx- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful rep...

deploy .net 3.5 application on windows 2003
Hello I have been using visual studio for some time now. I have installed 3.5 on our windows 2003 R2 Server.  Normally to deploy the application (on .net 2.0) I would  copy the application folder to the inetpub folder then go into IIS find the folder and create an application name on the directory tab.  This would deploy the application. Not so in .net 3.5 what am I doing wrong ?  Can anyone help on this ? anyone ? Hi, Please refer to your another post: http://forums.asp.net/t/1352852.aspx Hi, Based on your description, I think you want to know why you cannot fi...

installing .net 3.5 on Server 2003. IIS does not show the 3.5 version on the tab
I installed a trial version of Windows Server 2003 and installed .net 2.0 and 2.5 but when I install my asp.net app in IIs and then go to the tab, it does not show any other version of the .net then 1.1 I also installed the SP2 of server 2003.  asp.net tab should show 1.1 and 2.0. It will not show 3.5 as a version .Jeev~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer. Thank you for your reply. I have first installed .net 2.0 then 3.5. So why does it not show any of them? only 1.1?   bcweed966: I installed a trial ver...

Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Name: Tony Email: Accuscopeathotmaildotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) Comments: I have used Firefox for many years but I am not happy with latest version. You can set options such as home page and security and privacy settings but as soon as you close the browser and re start it remembers none of the settings??? Very frustrating! I have re-installed several times and rebooted every time but it always goes back to a default page as though I had just do...

How to get a Windows Server 2008 to run .NET 3.5 AJAX Web Applications
Hi, i'm kinda new to the .NET 3.5 framework.. I just developed a very simple web app using Visual studio 2008 beta2, choosing ASP.NET Futures AJAX. I then added a Web Reference that i call from a Silverlight control.. So far so good: i test it, and it runs locally.. I also have a Windows Server 2008 DataCenter Release candidate version, on which i used to run an ASP.NET 3.0 Web Application, that worked just fine.. But I can't figure out how to run this .net 3.5 Web App on my server: i tried installing the .NET 3.5 Framework on the server, but i still can only deploy 3.0 applications....

machine.config problem after installing .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express
 I had asp.net 2.0 and visual web developer 2005 installed on my windows xp computer. I then installed .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express on the same computer with out uninstalling .net 2.0 and VWD 2005 express and did not encounter any errors during installation. Problem is, i can no longer run any project.When i create a web site in visual web developer 2008 and click "start Debugging" i get the error message below"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config(138): Build (web): Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel.&qu...

Deploy an Ajax 2.0 net 3.5 web app developed on vista vs2008 to 2003 server
Hi I have an app which works fine in the dev environment on vista. I am trying to deploy it to 2003 server. Just simply adding a deployment project gives a xcopy which errors: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'. Can someone please point me to a link which goes through the steps necessary to get the deployment to include the ajax library? thanks Hi ExGliderPilot When we deploy the ASP.NET AJAX website to web server, we need to install the AJAX runtime which names System.Web.Extensions to the production server's GAC, and please take notice of the version of System.Web.Ex...

Version beforeMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Name: James Kiekow Email: jamesdotkiekowathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Version beforeMozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) Comments: Dear Excellent Developers, I share a passion for the same in IT and I wanted to mention that I have the previous version of Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) installed and it was extremely slow surfing the web so I upgraded and my assumption was correct it was the install I believe of th...

new features for Visual Studio 2008 and .Net FrameWork 3.0 &3.5
Hi,    What are the new features for Visual Studio 2008 and .Net FrameWork 3.0 &3.5  There are many of them. Pleas check the links below for a list of them.http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/http://www.vikramlakhotia.com/AspNet_3X.aspx Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you...

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

Can we replace Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Hi, I have installed vs2008 in C drive and removed it from there  including Microsoft .Net framework 3.5, due to space crunch, then I started installing it in D drive, in this case it did not install .Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 and now it does not show me Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 it shows .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in Add remove program list. My question is will VS2008 work fine with .NET Compact Framework 3.5. apart from it it also has .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the list, all what is missing is microsoft .net framework 3.5  Please let me know ...

Web resources about - Difficulty deploying Visual Studio 2008 ASP.NET 3.5 Web Application to Windows Server 2003 with .NET 3.5 installed. - asp.net.config-deploy

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications fall 3.2%
A definitive rise in mortgage interest rates over the last month is keeping borrowers at bay.

PCB firm Unitech looks to automotive, IoT applications for 2016 growth
PCB maker Unitech Printed Circuit Board expects demand for any-layer designs for use in automotive electronics, wearables and other IoT-connected ...