Develop in .NET 3.5...Deploy on .NET 3.0...Assembly strong name issue in web.config

Hi. I develop locally using web developer express 2008. I have .NET 3.5 installed on the development machine.

I am trying to deploy to a Windows Server 2003 machine running.NET 3.0.

Not surprisingly, I get an error about the strong assembly names referenced all over my web.config when I try to access the site on the production server.

I don't think any of my code truly relies on .NET 3.5--it should all be compatible with the 3.0 framework.

Here's my error message:

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

What's a solution to my problem? I'm not sure I can get 3.5 installed on the production server, and I'd rather not install 3.0 on my local development machine, but will if I have to. Do the strong .NET assembly names have to be used in web.config? Web Developer Express automatically created my web.config file, so I don't know much about how it works.

Thanks,

Duluter

0
duluter

If you are unable to install .NET 3.5 on your production server, then you will need to use 3.0.  However, you need to understand how these versions work.

Versions 3.0 and 3.5 are merely layers on top of the 2.0 Framework.  They are serve to replace those libraries that have been added or updated since version 2.0.  In fact, when configuring IIS, you would configure it for 2.0 for 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.

Now, the other special feature is that VS 2008 (including VWD 2008 Express) has the capability of using any of these versions.  With your application opened, go to the Solution Explorer, right click on the solution/file path and select Property Pages at the bottom of the menu.  In the Property Pages dialog, select the Build page.  On this page, you will see the Target Framework option.  You can configure this to use .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5.  If your production system is not accepting version 3.5, then set your application to 3.0 and then update your application on the server.

As for "I don't think any of my code truly relies on .NET 3.5--it should all be compatible with the 3.0 framework", well, that's not exactly correct.  Any new features introduced by version 3.0 but were not updated in version 3.5 will not be available.  Again, versions 3.0 and 3.5 only contain those libraries that have been added or updated; the bulk of the Framework is still in version 2.0.  So, since 3.0 and 3.5 are layers, to ensure that 3.5 works completely, you need to have the 3.0 layer in place.

Christopher Reed
Careed

Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server?
Hello,I am considering developing an ASP.NET app in VS 2008 using LINQ.  I know LINQ is .NET 3.5 specific but the IIS6 web server I need to deploy to only has .NET 3.0 installed (and I can't change that).So my question: can I compile and deploy a .NET 3.5 app on a web server with .NET 3.0 on it?  If so, how - and is there any official MSFT documentation? thanks,Justin Try this out it may work, if not you won't be using Linq unless they upgrade. http://linqinaction.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/09/05/linq-support-on-net-2.0.aspx- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful rep...

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

setup AP.NET membership database & web.config in .NET 3.5?
 A long time ago I setup an ASP.NET security database using aspnet_regsql.exe. I noticed this utility doesn't ship with .NET 3.5. Can anyone direct me to a writeup of how to create the security database and modify the web.config for membership? Thanks! Michael  Hello Michael, You still use the .net framework version 2 version of aspnet_regsql.exe in something like C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727As I understand it ver 3.5 is just adding new features onto the version 2 framework but mostly asp.net is just the same. Hope it helps JeremyRegardsJeremyIf ...

Deploy an Ajax 2.0 net 3.5 web app developed on vista vs2008 to 2003 server
Hi I have an app which works fine in the dev environment on vista. I am trying to deploy it to 2003 server. Just simply adding a deployment project gives a xcopy which errors: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'. Can someone please point me to a link which goes through the steps necessary to get the deployment to include the ajax library? thanks Hi ExGliderPilot When we deploy the ASP.NET AJAX website to web server, we need to install the AJAX runtime which names System.Web.Extensions to the production server's GAC, and please take notice of the version of System.Web.Ex...

machine.config problem after installing .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express
 I had asp.net 2.0 and visual web developer 2005 installed on my windows xp computer. I then installed .net 3.5 and visual web developer 2008 express on the same computer with out uninstalling .net 2.0 and VWD 2005 express and did not encounter any errors during installation. Problem is, i can no longer run any project.When i create a web site in visual web developer 2008 and click "start Debugging" i get the error message below"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config(138): Build (web): Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel.&qu...

Can I switch from .Net 3.5 to .Net 3
After finishing the website that I built in VS 2008 and has AjaxControlToolkit controls. I was informed by the network admin that the server has .Net 3 and that we can't install .Net 3.5. I tried to change the application settings from Property Page --> Build node, and then select .Net Framework 3.0 from Target Framework Dropdownlist, and then click OK BUT then I can't run my application I get error message and the     <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />   is unknown even when I try ...

Migrating from .net 2.0 to 3.5
I have just upgraded a site from 2.0 to 3.5 but i keep getting this error? "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."I've already looked around the net and it recommends creating a virtual directory. I'm using IIS7.0 and created an application and then created a virtual directory as well without any success. I also read about a backup folder that has a web.config that gets created during the upgrad...

Issue with clients consuming a web service that was upgraded from .NET 1.1 to .NET 3.5
I am currently working with an application that was converted from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008 and we are having issues with a client consuming the web service portion of the application.  The web services were written in .NET 1.1 using the Web Services Enhancements 2.0 and was upgraded to use the .NET 3.5 framework.  One of our clients application, which is still written in .NET 1.1 was reference the upgraded web service and tried to consume the web service and received the following error: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Se...

Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Name: Tony Email: Accuscopeathotmaildotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) Comments: I have used Firefox for many years but I am not happy with latest version. You can set options such as home page and security and privacy settings but as soon as you close the browser and re start it remembers none of the settings??? Very frustrating! I have re-installed several times and rebooted every time but it always goes back to a default page as though I had just do...

Deploying .NET 3.5 web applciaiton
Hi    i am working on a .NET 3.5 web application. I want to deploy that application to a server. Is it possible to deploy  .NET 3.5 web application  without IIS on the server? What are s/w s needed before deploying  and steps to follow?   Thanks Ashok   Hello, No, you should have installed IIS on the server. This could help - Deploy ASP.NET web site. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting  Without a webserver, you cant host a website on a server. As far as I know, IIS is the only webserver which ca...

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

Web resources about - Develop in .NET 3.5...Deploy on .NET 3.0...Assembly strong name issue in web.config - asp.net.config-deploy

Speaker of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Speaker of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly is the presiding officer of the Legislative Assembly , New South Wales 's lower chamber ...

Catalan assembly votes to start process of breaking from Spain
Catalonia's regional assembly has passed a resolution calling for secession from Spain, energising a drive towards independence and deepening ...

ASUS Launches Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly for Skylake, includes 10G Ethernet Card
We covered the launch of ASUS’ most expensive Z170 motherboard when the announcement was made ( we also have it in for review ), but late last ...

Virginia General Assembly
News, Photos and Information about Virginia General Assembly

Review: Minecraft: Story Mode: Assembly Required
Telltale fans have grown accustomed to a two-to-four month wait between episodes. So when the studio surprise launched Assembly Required just ...

With West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls to come, the future looks tense for the BJP
What looked like a certainty has now turned into a tragedy. Just a few months ago, the BJP was counting the number of additional seats it would ...

'Lego Dimensions' Doctor Who Adventure World, Some Assembly Required
Wave 2 of Lego Dimensions brings with it the Doctor Who world, but just how much extra content do you get for the $29.99 expansions pack?

Minnesota Democrat ends bid for state assembly seat after sympathetic Islamic ...
TheBlaze.com Minnesota Democrat ends bid for state assembly seat after sympathetic Islamic ... Fox News MINNEAPOLIS – A Democratic candidate ...

Trial Set to Start for Indicted Ex-NY Assembly Speaker
Former NY Assembly speaker goes to trial on charges he pocketed $4M in kickbacks

Did Netanyahu and American Jews Kiss and Make Up at the General Assembly?
Haaretz Did Netanyahu and American Jews Kiss and Make Up at the General Assembly? Haaretz The prime minister's remarks hit the notes that ...