Deploying and Re-deploying applications

I deploy my asp.net apps by dragging and throwing bin folder and aspx files into the root directory of my hosted server.

If I make any changes to my app, I re-deploy my app by again dragging and throwing bin folder and aspx files into the root directory of my hosted server.
My question is:
(1) What happens when a user is using my website, and I re-deploy my asp.net applcation?
(2) How do I ensure that when I re-deploy my asp.net app, it does not affect the users who are already on my site.
regards
0
hasanali00

Well, when you change the web.config file the application restarts.  This kills sessions on the server, if you're using InProc session type.  If you're using StateServer or SqlServer then your sessions may still exist (but there will be a delay for the user while the app starts up again on the server).  Note that there is a performance hit by using SqlServer session settings, but if you absolutely must keep sessions, you can even reboot the server and they'll still be there.  You can read more at http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20021016.asp" and http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=7504
0
bt429

Re-deploy a deployment
I have made a deployment of about forty patches which i deployed to a testgroup. Now I need to deploy this to the rest of the pc's in my office and would like to re-use the old deployment. So I want to change an old deployment and then redeploy it. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it? thanks -- eddzzz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Eddzzz, have you tried going to the deployment, checking the box next to it and clicking deploy at the bottom of the page? :) -- Shaun Pond That sounds very obvious, s...

How do I add changes to a deployed web application without re-deploying a new web application
I recently built a setup project in VS.  I deployed the project to my production web server. Later, I made some changes to a few aspx.vb pages.My question is: How do I add those changes to the production web site  WITHOUT  building another setup project and re-deploying the entire web site. I tried to copy the new <webapplication.dll> to the production server. I got an error.I made no changes to the .aspx pages.I later created a completely new setup project, then it worked. I found the solution. What was your solution? Are you able to share it. ...

pls, why do people use InstallShild for .Net applications deployement since VS2003 already includes setup & deployement projects
pls, why do people use InstallShild for .Net applications deployement since VS2003 already includes setup & deployement projects thanks for satisfying my curiousity:)Thanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Hello, Because the VS2003 deployment projects don't have as many functionalities as InstallShield. A simple example - from VS2003 deployment project you can't start the application automatically (or if user selects) after install. RegardsFlorin Antoci...

Deployment Stuck Deploying to PLUS
I have a deployment that is stuck (in progress) being deployed to the patchlink server. This is causing the server to go offline and not able to deploy any other patches to any clients. Is there a way to delete/disable the deployment that is stuck in progress? -Rob I am checking on this for you, I have seen it before, but I never had to troubleshoot it. -- Jared Novell Support Forums SysOp Systems Analyst at Data Technique, INC. Posting with XanaNews 1.17.5.8 Check out Novell WIKI http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/IManager Can you post a workstation side log? You will...

Deploy a site and then deploy changes only !!
 Hi everyone,I do some asp.net 2.0 development .. and currently i deploy my tests .. using Build + publish ... !and then .. i copy & paste the "PrecompiledApp.config" + Bin("App_Code.dll" + "App_Web_4tzghadp.dll..."... etc) + aspx files ... !!This is fine and everything works !!However ... when i modify anything .. even if i add one If statement .. or Response.Write ... i redo the same steps !!! again and again ... (publish & copy & paste &&& ) ..... Notice that .. I don't replace the web.config .. because on my server ...

Deployment detail missing from some deployments
Server Version: 6.4.2.1549, Agent Version: 6.4.2.405 This just started today. Under Deployments, I click the "+" sign next to a few of my named deployments and the only thing I see is the gray header with "Action" "Taskname" "Scheduled Date" and the icons. My package, the number of successful devices, and the number of failures, etc. are missing. I think this is odd so I go to delete the deployment and receive a pop up message to "Select an item first." So, I have deployments that contain no information and I cannot delete them. This ...

deployments just sitting there and not deploying
ive chosen 4 vulnerabilites to push to a machine.. i go through and keep most all the defautls during wizard setup... all is good, they cache fine, they show up under that machines 'deployments' page... but they dont start, they sit there saying 'not started', any ideas? and whats the huge difference between local time and the universal time options? should you use one over the other? are the agents contacting the ZPM server? You'd use UTC if you were an organisation spread over multiple timezones and you wanted to deploy something to every machine at the ...

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

Deploying .Net application with datawindow .Net objects
Hi I=92ve been testing datawindow .net for our company by building a small working application using the Datawindow .Net tutorial. It works great (both from the VS interface and the compiled solution .exe) and was easy to create. My next test is to try and deploy this application to another machine, which has the .Net (1.1) environment but no Powerbuilder or Visual Studio. I built my solution and placed these files, all in one folder, on this other machine: datawindow.dll datawindow.xml DataWindowInterop.dll MSVCP71.DLL MSVCR71.DLL PBDATA100.dll PBDWN100.DLL PBO10100.D...

Deploying a .net application
I aplogise for asking what is probably obvious to most here. I am trying to deploy a vb.net application to a customer but I dont want to share the source code. How do I do that? Can I?   Thanks Hello, You could precompiled the app, and deploy only aspx files and dlls without any cs files. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

Deploying a .Net Application
I have coded a .Net application and now want to deploy to the production box. What are my steps? Do I create the same directory structure on my production box and copy all the .aspx pages and the .dll file ? I use IE to open my FTP connection and then drag and drop the files and directories onto the webserver (files and subdirectories are automatically transferred when you drag and drop their containing directory). This means that you don't have to create the directory structure. Steven BeyRecursion: see Recursion I am correc that I only need by .aspx files and the .dll file in the...

Web Deployment of a Web Application:why the vbproj file is in the Web Deployment folder
Hello, I'm an old ASP and new ASP 1.1 developer.Now I have to work with ASP 2.0 and I'm testing the new features but there are things that are not clear.. I created a web application (converted from an ASP.NET 2.0 web site) and I was trying to build the web application project.These are the Property Pages Settings:Configuration:ReleaseCompilation: Allow this precompiled site to be updatable .. checkedOutput Assemblies: Merge all outputs to a single assembly  is checked                    ...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web resources about - Deploying and Re-deploying applications - asp.net.config-deploy