Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server?

Hello,
I am considering developing an ASP.NET app in VS 2008 using LINQ.  I know LINQ is .NET 3.5 specific but the IIS6 web server I need to deploy to only has .NET 3.0 installed (and I can't change that).

So my question: can I compile and deploy a .NET 3.5 app on a web server with .NET 3.0 on it?  If so, how - and is there any official MSFT documentation?

 thanks,
Justin

0
justinsaraceno

Try this out it may work, if not you won't be using Linq unless they upgrade.

http://linqinaction.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/09/05/linq-support-on-net-2.0.aspx

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
3/31/2009 5:11:56 AM

By default your app will reference the 3.5 assemblies when compiled so it will not work on 3.0.  It will only work if you chose to compile it against framework 3.0 in visual studio, and even then you might need additional LINQ support (as per the other post).

Andrew
blog.andrewrivers.co.uk
0
wildmoose
3/31/2009 11:35:21 AM

Thank you for the replies.
I read the article William referenced.  I also read similar 'running LINQ on 2.0' articles before posting this question.  I wasn't sure if the fact that I can deploy to a 3.0 server made a difference.

But I see Andrew's point as well.  I may technically be able to get LINQ functionality working by following the above mentioned article but developing against 3.5 leaves me open to possibly referencing something else in the 3.5 libraries that won't work on the 3.0 server.  It just sounds like a hassle to me.

So unless anyone can attest to successfully supporting this situation, I think I'll leave LINQ out of my project.

Thanks again

0
justinsaraceno

Develop in .NET 3.5...Deploy on .NET 3.0...Assembly strong name issue in web.config
Hi. I develop locally using web developer express 2008. I have .NET 3.5 installed on the development machine.I am trying to deploy to a Windows Server 2003 machine running.NET 3.0.Not surprisingly, I get an error about the strong assembly names referenced all over my web.config when I try to access the site on the production server.I don't think any of my code truly relies on .NET 3.5--it should all be compatible with the 3.0 framework.Here's my error message:Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77...

Deploy an Ajax 2.0 net 3.5 web app developed on vista vs2008 to 2003 server
Hi I have an app which works fine in the dev environment on vista. I am trying to deploy it to 2003 server. Just simply adding a deployment project gives a xcopy which errors: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'. Can someone please point me to a link which goes through the steps necessary to get the deployment to include the ajax library? thanks Hi ExGliderPilot When we deploy the ASP.NET AJAX website to web server, we need to install the AJAX runtime which names System.Web.Extensions to the production server's GAC, and please take notice of the version of System.Web.Ex...

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

Deploying .NET 3.5 web applciaiton
Hi    i am working on a .NET 3.5 web application. I want to deploy that application to a server. Is it possible to deploy  .NET 3.5 web application  without IIS on the server? What are s/w s needed before deploying  and steps to follow?   Thanks Ashok   Hello, No, you should have installed IIS on the server. This could help - Deploy ASP.NET web site. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting  Without a webserver, you cant host a website on a server. As far as I know, IIS is the only webserver which ca...

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Problem deploying web service with .NET 3.5
Hello, I am trying to deploy a web service on my local IIS 6.0 server.  I can run the application without any problems when I run it from within Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2.  However, when I deploy it to IIS and try to run it by typing in a URL via the web browser, I receive the following compiler error: " CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ScriptService' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)" How do I get the System.Web.Services namespace within this project?  It seems to me that the problem lies in the fact that ...

setup AP.NET membership database & web.config in .NET 3.5?
 A long time ago I setup an ASP.NET security database using aspnet_regsql.exe. I noticed this utility doesn't ship with .NET 3.5. Can anyone direct me to a writeup of how to create the security database and modify the web.config for membership? Thanks! Michael  Hello Michael, You still use the .net framework version 2 version of aspnet_regsql.exe in something like C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727As I understand it ver 3.5 is just adding new features onto the version 2 framework but mostly asp.net is just the same. Hope it helps JeremyRegardsJeremyIf ...

Upgraded to VS2008 & .NET 3.5 ... 3.0 Web services no longer working
Hi guys. We've just upgraded to to VS2008 and .NET 3.5 and found that 3.0 web services that where running on the machine we did the install on are no longer working or showing up as web services during discovery. Are there any common causes for this? Thanks. ...

Can WSE 3.0 Web Service be exposed to the web and can it be consumed by non .Net apps?
If I write a WSE 3.0 web service in .Net 2.0, can I expose it to the web like an IIS XML web service.?Also, can this web service be consumed by non .Net apps or .Net 1.1. apps?sun21170 Yes, simply enable your web service project for WSE 3, and this will alter web.config to support WSE 3 web services in IIS.The web service can be consumed by non .Net clients, however .Net 1.1 clients may struggle unless you add WSE support ans generate specific WSE proxies at the client end.  JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.com/blogs/JamesWinters...

Only .NET 3.5 installed but web apps can only use 2.0
Image below shows exactly what my problem is. Why can't I select 3.5 in the list when it's the only version I have installed?I downloaded 3.5 again and selected repair but the problem remains. Saturday3AM:Why can't I select 3.5 in the list when it's the only version I have installed? Because 3.5 uses the 2.0 framework.  You can't select a version, only the framework version, which is still 2.0.  Blame Microsoft for confusing numbers.  :) JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future...

Installing .net 2.0 on the Provisioning Web Server (HMC 3.5)
I have one question, can i install .net framework 2.0 on the PROV server not on MPS server itself ? i need application that run on .net 2.0 and i will install it on a different site than default site on PROV server, and enable 2.0 on that site leaving default site on .net 1.1, does this affect MPS provision procedures that came from PROV server to MPS server (passing XML request to MPS engine)? MY enviroment is HMC 3.5 with FP1 and all servers are windows 2003 SP1.   Hi, It should be safe to install .NET 2.0 on PROV01 as you described..Thanks,Dmitri Gaikovoi Thanks alot for your ...

Deploying PowerBuilder client/server app as .NET Web app
Hi when I deploy Client/Server(stand alone) PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any error messages. --Deploy--- Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed as shown below. ---------- Deploy: Deploy of p_pbtutor_webform2 (1:50:39 PM) Checking IIS server... Generating .NET assembly file... Generating PBD files... Copying to IIS server... Deploy succeeded. ---------- Finished Deploy of p_pbt...

Migrating from .net 2.0 to 3.5
I have just upgraded a site from 2.0 to 3.5 but i keep getting this error? "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."I've already looked around the net and it recommends creating a virtual directory. I'm using IIS7.0 and created an application and then created a virtual directory as well without any success. I also read about a backup folder that has a web.config that gets created during the upgrad...

Web resources about - Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server? - asp.net.config-deploy

Price Drop: MyAudioStream Pro UPnP audio player and streamer: gather your music collection from your ...
MyAudioStream Pro UPnP audio player and streamer: gather your music collection from your PC, NAS, UPnP servers, Windows Media Player or iTunes ...

Intel Rising; Street Likes Stable Outlook; Server Cracks Appear
... ( MU ) might not move fast enough with the “ 3D Xpoint ” technology the two are developing. Some cracks are appearing in Intel’s server market ...

Dell announces Datacenter Scalable Solutions server line
In an effort to expand its share of the server market, Dell has announced today that it will be launching a new line of servers targeting companies ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

Latest Windows Server 2016 beta shows off Microsoft's new containers
Microsoft launched the fourth technical preview for the next version of Windows Server on Thursday, giving the public access to its new Hyper-V ...

Senator Wonders If Hillary Is Covering Legal Expenses For Tech Firm That Managed Her Email Server
Senator Wonders If Hillary Is Covering Legal Expenses For Tech Firm That Managed Her Email Server

Quanta, Wiwynn see more orders from server clients for 2016
Quanta Computer and Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, are expected to land more cloud server orders from their clients in 2016 as Internet ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
Wondering how Hyper-V containers work in Microsoft's upcoming server software release? Intrepid administrators and developers can get an early ...