debug="false", website fails... debug="true" website works...

I've got an ASP.Net website (ASP.Net 2.0 running on Windows Server 2003 R2 all SP applied) that does not run when web.config has debug="false".  The error says to set debug="true" to see what the error really is. Problem is, when I set debug="true" the error goes away and the site runs fine.

Here's an example of the error output:

Unable to cast object of type 'ASP.display_articlelink_ascx' to type 'Display_ArticleLink'.

I have a user control called Display_ArticleLink that I load like this:

         Dim objArtLink As Display_ArticleLink
         objArtLink = CType(LoadControl("~/Display/ArticleLink.ascx"), Display_ArticleLink)

 Oh, this code was working fine before the weekend (in debug="false" mode). I don't know that anything changed....

Any ideas?

TIA,

Owen
0
ojm37

Ok, this morning, when I changed to debug="true" the code started working. Now, a couple of hours later with debug still true, I'm getting the same error only this time the debug info prints out and shows the line where the failure is happening.

Why would this code, which has been working for months, suddenly stop working?

Owen
0
ojm37
8/27/2007 4:34:05 PM

Looks like a reported issue mentioned on this post, for which a patch is available:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/04/11/public-hotfix-patch-available-for-asp-net-compilation-issues.aspx

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
8/27/2007 5:07:09 PM

Thanks. That looks like it applies.  I may get this hotfix....

Owen
0
ojm37
8/27/2007 5:31:17 PM

Hmm. I haven't installed that hotfix yet, but now it doesn't matter what I do to web.config (OR even following the steps in the link -- stopping iis, deleting all temp files, restarting iis) is fixing the problem.  Now what?Angry

Owen
0
ojm37
8/30/2007 8:07:45 PM

Have you tried running the application on another machine? You mentioned it was working fine previously, so perhaps you need to investigate what else could have changed in the meantime.

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
8/30/2007 8:21:58 PM

hmm, well. I found another post that said to change web.config from:

<compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">

<compilation debug="true" batch="false" strict="true" explicit="true">

The change being to add: batch="false".
So far, that seems to fix the problem.  I don't know what the implications of batch="false" are:
what does it do, how is the application different, performance?

Owen
0
ojm37
8/30/2007 8:27:39 PM

The link for the hotfix describes the workaround you mentioned too:

"This tells ASP.NET to dynamically compile individual .aspx/.ascx files into separate assemblies.  This avoids the circular reference issue that triggers the exception."

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping

Compilation debug = "true" vs. debug ="false"
If I run my site with debug="false" I get errors and can't make it past the login page.  If I run my site with debug="true" the whole site runs as it is supposed to.Is this common? What kind of errors are you getting? For whatever reason, I am no longer getting any errors.  I can't recall exactly what errors I was getting when things weren't working properly.At any rate, it's back to the way it should be.Thank-you for your reply, voodoo9055.  Your help, advice and expertise is always appreciated....

"copy website", "publish website", or just "copy and paste"
Hi: So far i know 3 ways to upload website from local pc to real server, but want to understand more: 1. In Visual studio menu, Build->Publish Web Site, if I choose a local folder, and start to run, you will find the published website in the local folder, and you will find some .dll files in Bin folder..., same thing, if the website is published to a real server folder, will be the same story. The main advantage is: when user opens the website, it will load faster because it is precompiled, Am I correct here so far? 2. The "copy website" function in Visual Studio is just copy...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" ERROR
I don't have this error when I visit the site on 127.0.0.1 But I have it when I visit my site on the internet!! The ERROR: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machi...

<compilation debug="false">in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception"
In Production server, <compilation debug="false"> throwing "Thread abort exception" for long running processes for more than 15-20 mins Event log message : Exception type: ThreadAbortException  Exception message: Thread was being aborted Can anybody help us!!!    It may have nothing to do with the debug mode. Is it possible the Session or Application is timing out and shutting down your thread while it's still trying to run?  Steve Wellens My blog...

Do we need setup "Debug = True" in web.config for debugging client-side debug?
The question is as the subject. When we debug client-side script, we need uncheck "Disable script debugging" in IE; attach debugger to the process of iexplore.exe; set breakpoints in clientside codes, but is that for sure we need to config web.config to allow debug? But we do need this step if we want to debug ASP.NET applications, right?   Thanks...

double quote

"Failed to create AppDomain" error, after using "Copy Website"
I don't have IIS installed on my development machine. I don't see the IIS in Services in Control panel. I am using Visual Studio 2008 to develop websites. I think Visual Studio 2008 doesn't require IIS to run web applications! Using the "Copy Website" in Visual Studio 2008 I copied a website from my local development machine to a webhosting server. I connected to ftp site of the hosting company to do the copy. No problem there with the website on the hosting server and everything works fine on the hosting server. I can preview my site with no problem...

"Me" is better than "You"

Using "+" or "||"

"Using" or "With"

replace the "." with a ","

Web resources about - debug="false", website fails... debug="true" website works... - asp.net.config-deploy