connection string to remote server with second instance of SQL Server

I need to connect to a remote server with a second instance of SQL Server installed on it.  In the past I have been able to connect to other databases using the IP address in the Data Source.  Example:   Any ideas on what the connection string needs to find the second instance?

Data Source=999.99.9.999,1433;

That same server has a second instance of SQL Server installed with db I am trying to connect to.  Using the IP address is not finding it.  I tried different versions the following:  Data Source=999.99.9.999\SQLTwo,1433;    Data Source=999.99.9.999/SQLTwo,1433;    Data Source=999.99.9.999.SQLTwo,1433;

Any ideas on what the connection string needs to find the second instance?

0
McGuire

 are you sure the second instance is listening to port 1433?

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
2/26/2009 8:28:19 PM

I guess I assumed that since the first instance uses that port that the second one would also.  The Network Administrator is not available today but will ask when I have a chance.  Thanks for the reply

0
McGuire
2/26/2009 8:40:01 PM

 I don't think you can have 2 instances listening to the same port.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
2/27/2009 2:06:25 AM

Finding the right port was the answer.  Thanks.

0
McGuire

Connection string for default instance of SQL Server 2005, on a box also running a named instance of SQL Server 2000
The box I am trying to connect to is running two instances of SQL Server. There is a SQL Server 2005 instance which is the default. There is a SQL Server 2000 instance which is named 'SQLSERVER'.  I can connect to the SQL Server 2000 instance no problem:<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=MYPC\SQLSERVER;database=mydatabase;user id=****;password=****" /> However,  I am having trouble connecting to the Default SQL Server 2005 instance. I have tried: <add key="ConnectionString" value="server=MYPC;database=mydatabase;user i...

Problem with SQL Server connection string - provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26
Hi Guys, I am having a wierd problem. The system works perfectly when I am connected to the local network but throws the above error when I disconnect it from the network. Given below are my connectionstrings: integrated security=false;user id=U1;data source=localhost;persist security info=False;password=pwd1;initial catalog=MyDB //connection string to my database Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;User ID=U2;Password=pwd2 //connectionstring to aspnetdb for webparts I have also changed all the providers (SQLMembership, SQLProfile, SQLRole) to use LocalSQLServer and comme...

Web.config setting: Server does not allow SQL server connect remotely
 As topic, what should I add in web.config to enable remote connection to SQL server on the host? My error meeeage:    error: 40   Web.config connection string <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=xxx; Database=ASPNETDB;User ID=xxx;Password=xxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient;"/>       I am not sure I understand the question.  Do you mean you have a local ASP.NET application and you want to connect to a database server hosted at your web host?BruceDiscountASP.NET...

SQL Express

When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections
When my default.aspx page loads I get this error for the connection to my SQL 2005 DB.    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) I have already gone to Surface Area Configuration to ensure that Remoting with both Named Pipes or TCP/IP is enabled and it's set to both for remoting.I verified tha...

sql server : connect to remote server
please see this link  and please help me :http://forums.asp.net/t/1396702.aspx?PageIndex=1i realy do not know what to do? are you getting sql server error message saying "sql server cannot connect to remote server "Ajay Pathak MVP All About ASP.net The database ASPNETDB works perfectly on your sys, but not on the machine you are hosting your application ryt? ASPNETDB is bydefault created using exe aspnet_regsql, this creates a DB to make use of user roles, memberships of ASP.NET, this is what missing on your hosted server, just go ahead and create the BD by making use ...

default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi I always get good reply from u all, thank you,  I have copied my asp.net website from one server to another. they administrator made necessary modification on IIS manager . and able to see the website on browser. but now i can't loging to system using old password. I tryed to create new password then also it gives error System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connecti...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

connecting to a remote sql server from web server
i have an asp.net app in which i use windows integrated security and via the web client's user id, i need to connect to an sql server on the same domain in the intranet. But it does not work. There are some articles on this subject on the microsoft site. They say that i need to use either basic authentication or kerberos! Anyone has the same problem? It will be very embarressing for the intranet user to log on to the application whenever he/she opens the web page! I believe you will need to use Windows Authentication to make this work. ~Brad KingsleyMCSE, ASPInsiderwww.orcsweb.comP...

Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express?
Can I connect to remote SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express? I always get a error code 18456 when I try to connect to SQL 2005 server through SQL Server Management Studio Express. I'm sure I enter correct username and password!SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator The answer is yes its possible but it depends on the security configuration of the remote server.Hope it helps,Joe http://www.joeaudette.comhttp://www.mojoportal.com oh wait. I don't have the Express...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all
When i enter log in, I get the following error page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #4

Web resources about - connection string to remote server with second instance of SQL Server - asp.net.config-deploy

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Man wanted in connection to Waco biker shooting arrested in Louisiana
A man wanted in the deadly shootout involving rival motorcycle gangs earlier this year in Texas was arrested in northwest Louisiana on Wednesday, ...

Kidney Donor Connection Made After Misplaced Craigslist Ad
Man whose wife died of kidney failure becoming a donor after seeing misplaced Craigslist ad