Configuration Error ~ Server Error in '/' Application

Hi everybody,

 I have uploaded my web application to my webhoster but I receive the following error when I 'run' my website from the remote host.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

Source Error:

Line 164:            <providers>
Line 165: <add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/"
Line 166: type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
Line 167: <add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider" applicationName="/"
Line 168: type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config    Line: 166

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

Locally my application worked fine. Is the problem in my machine.config file or the remote hosters'? I dont think I uploaded the machine config to the remote host.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to what to do please?

Thanx and regards,

Lightning

By default, the "LocalSqlServer" is set in the root web.config.  I am not sure how your webhost has their root web.config setup.
Try put
<connectionStrings>
  <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="............." />
</connectionStrings>
into your site's web.config file and see if it works.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
4/5/2007 1:35:38 AM

Sorry.. i mean "LocalSqlServer" is set in the machine.config

Something like this

  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  </connectionStrings>

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
4/5/2007 1:37:29 AM

Hi Bruce!

Thank you very much for your reply. I did first get an error that stated that I had no connectionstring LocalSqlServer in my application and I changed that in my webconfig file to the correct Connectionstring name, that was for my ASPMembershipProvider. And then this new error occured.

My webconfig file looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
    Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the
    web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
    the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
    A full list of settings and comments can be found in
    machine.config.comments usually located in
    \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
-->
<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

	<appSettings/>
	<!--<connectionStrings>
  <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
   providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

 </connectionStrings>
-->
  <connectionStrings>
    <clear/>
    <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source = _______ ; Initial Catalog = ______ ; User ID = _____ ; Password = _____; Integrated Security=True"
     providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

  </connectionStrings>

	<system.web>
		<!--
            Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging
            symbols into the compiled page. Because this
            affects performance, set this value to true only
            during development.
        -->
		<roleManager enabled="true"/>
		<compilation debug="true"/>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
		<!--
            The <authentication> section enables configuration
            of the security authentication mode used by
            ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
        -->
		<authentication mode="Forms"/>
		<!--
            The <customErrors> section enables configuration
            of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs
            during the execution of a request. Specifically,
            it enables developers to configure html error pages
            to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
            <error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
            <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
        </customErrors>
        -->
		<membership>
			<providers>
				<clear/>
				<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="ConnectionString" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" applicationName="/"/>
			</providers>
		</membership>
	</system.web>
	<system.net>
		<mailSettings>
			<smtp from="________">
				<!--<network host="_______" password="_____" userName="_________"/>-->
        <network host="________" password="" userName=""/>
			</smtp>
		</mailSettings>
	</system.net>
</configuration>

I uploaded my database by following tutorials on ScottGu's Blog, which is fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again Bruce

0
Lightning
4/5/2007 6:37:41 AM

Fixed that problem had to all code to the role manager in the web.config file

Added the following code from ScottGu's Blog:

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="SqlRoleManager">

    <providers>

      <clear/>

      <add name="SqlRoleManager"

           type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"

           connectionStringName="SqlRoleManagerConnection"

           applicationName="MyApplication" />

    </providers>

  </roleManager>

 Now I dont get that error anymore and I am able to view the site, but I get runtime errors on each and every page. How do I debug these? Is their a programme? Or where do I go and look to find the errors?

It says:

 A RunTime error Has occurred

Do you wish to debug?

Yes/No

Line:273

Error: Object expected

I dont have that many lines in my source file? Do you maybe know where the error originates?

Any help will be appreciated...

0
Lightning
4/5/2007 8:17:47 AM
This looks like a Javascript error on the browser.  Sorry. I am not familiar with debugging this.
Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce
4/5/2007 7:32:04 PM

Thanks for all your help Bruce! It is much appreciated!

0
Lightning

Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error
hii have a web service on web server.i have a windows application on my local computer.i want to use that web service, as a web reference, but it cause the following error:  Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caus...

Deployment error(Server Error in '/' Application.)
i have deployed website it giving following error. i have already set  mode ="off",but html pages are working fine  Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to b...

Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error.
 Hi, I have a problem. My asp.net website runs fine on my local server. I use Cassini. But on most of the other computers that I have tested my website, it reports error. Here's the error:   Please help, it's urgent!P.S. I'm newbie!  :) The image is not visible in my browserJoydeep SenDotnet DeveloperDont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers  Server Error in '/' Application. __________________________________...

GoDaddy Login control Error, Server Error in '/' Application. error: 26
Hi,  I have developed a website in asp.net and published the webpages and database to the remote server as per the instructions of godaddy help site article. I have also updated the connection string in web config file so that it points to the database on remote server. Site was working fine when I tested on my local site. connection string also works fine on remote server, which is proved by the grid view information displayed on the home page, however when I go to the Login Page and try to login I get the below error message and the same error message when I try to create a new user ...

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

My remote site will not log-in or successfully create an account, it says 'RUNTIME ERROR' 'Server Error in '/' Application' (does work in local) PLEASE HELP! thanks
Hi, I have VB2005 and i made a form using the video from 'Get Started' and I used the default wizard (ie: Login, Create Account...) When i publish via frontpage i use 'FTP' first and then 'Frontpage or Sharepoint Services'. Note my host is ASP.net 2.0 enabled and Frontpage Server Ext. 2002... When i open my site www.thegamehouse.co.nz and go into create account, I create an account but when i click 'Create' it loads real slow for 10 secs then says the following: (Actual Error) Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the...

hosting error at brinkster.com (Server Error in '/' Application, Runtime Error )
HelloI have hosted my student project at brinkster.com, in my pc it runs quite fine, but at brinkster it gives following error messgae.  Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a &l...

Error: Server Error in '/' Application. The "web.config" file is attached for your reference.
Dear All, I receive the following error & the web.config file is copied below for your reference. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } ...

Server Error in '/' Application. Parser Error
Hi. I am getting the following error on some new pages I made. ***************************** Server Error in '/' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'studiojp.toothorn1'. Source Error: Line 1: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="toothorn1.aspx.vb" Inherits="studiojp.tootho...

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error
hi every body   can any one solve my problem. Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error .   i cannot able to access my server take a look at this...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823379 Are you trying to run the application through IIS? have you set up the correct version of ASP.NET in the properties window, under the ASP.NET tab for the application within IIS?Please remember to Mark As Answer if helpfulRegards,Christiandev, MCPD Web & MCTS Windows ...

Server Error in '/' Application.- Runtime Error
************* Edited by moderator Adec *************** Inserted missing < code></ code> tags. Always include such tags when including code in your postings. Many readers disregard postings without the code tags. ************************************************** hi, i have some problem on asp.net, i would be very happy if somone can give me a hand here. i am traing to set up a page wich will access to the datsbase and shwo me some information . i get an erorr on the page : http://www.accounting.ws-solutions.org/index1.aspx the code is : <%@ Pa...

Strange Server Error in '/' Application error
Hi ! Just updated to 3.1.1 without any errors.All the websites are running just fine except for one. It says: "Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag with...

Server Error in '/' Application.
Maybe you can tell me what to look for to resolve this error? I have an admin section for a website in C#.NET. I get the below error when trying to login, basically anytime I try to access a page that uses the database. The thing is, the whole thing works fine on my local machine at work and at home. I get the error when trying it on our live server. So I'm thinking it is a setting on the server maybe? Any ideas of what I should check? Thank!!! -Jon -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------...

Dreader error: Server Error in '/' Application.
I'm getting this error: Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root...

Web resources about - Configuration Error ~ Server Error in '/' Application - asp.net.config-deploy

Configuration management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CM process is widely used by military engineering organizations to manage complex systems , such as weapon systems, vehicles, and information ...

Facebook Taps Opscode Private Chef For Configuration, Management Of Servers
How does Facebook manage its ever-growing plethora of servers , configurations, administrative access policies, and the other tasks that go along ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...