Can't get the source stepping to work with the System.web.pdb's

it used to work

i'm running 3.5ps and vs2008 sp1...
I've read this
http://blogs.msdn.com/sburke/archive/2008/01/16/configuring-visual-studio-to-debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

I've read this
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/debugstart.mspx

I've deleted/restarted/deleted so many times with no success..

My  mscorlib.dll    is
2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)    11/24/2008 9:47 PM

Which I realize is above 2.0.50727.1433

So maybe it's just doomed to not work right now.... Maybe the pdb for it just isn't available..
It downloads a few others
System.pdb, System.drawing, System.web.routing, etc...
But never System.web.pdb
or System.web.dynamic.pdb

suggestions?

0
PureWeen

"QFE.050727-3000" indicates you might have downloaded and installed a hotfix. If you don't need this hotfix, go to Add/Remove Programs, and see if you can remove it.

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping
2/20/2009 3:11:04 AM

 yea I don't think that's it... the first step of Shawn's Blog is

1) Install the Visual Studio 2008 QFE.  This Hotfix just updates a DLL that's part of the Visual Studio debugger that fetches the source files, more details on the download page.

0
PureWeen
2/20/2009 7:03:15 AM

 like I ran fiddler and it just gets 404 errors when trying to access those pdb files on the source server

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols/System.Web.DynamicData.pdb/DB1174C5C98C49F6ACDC7F5AF80B54191/System.Web.DynamicData.pdb
http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols/System.Web.Extensions.pdb/2A6A525ED03640BE9B33BDE8EFEDFC1E1/System.Web.Extensions.pdb
http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols/System.Web.pdb/DBE79CC9E37744848AFF0F27BA61686C1/System.Web.pdb

 and according to his post

  • System.Web.DLL
  • System.Web.Extensions.DLL
should be available

0
PureWeen
2/20/2009 7:11:58 AM

The Visual Studio 2008 QFE modifies the following files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944899

Note that mscorlib.dll and System.Web.dll are NOT in that list.

Check the file version of System.Web.dll. It looks like you might have installed some OTHER hotfix or QFE.

Also, you mentioned you could get pdbs for System.pdb, so you should check its file version too.

[Edited to update the correct url]

If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
hongping

can't get reports 'Old Chart's and 'New Charts' to work properly
1. If I try and draw a chart it doesn't go beyond June of this year so I'm missing a lot of data in the output. 2. Is there a reason for this - I have been modding bugzilla so that it has an extra status field from earlier this year - would that have had an impact ? 3. Also when I try and do a Old Chart or NewChart I can't see my new 'Status' field to select - this is ok if I do a bar chart though. cheers On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 03:25 -0800, nothtb@ukonline.co.uk wrote: > 1. If I try and draw a chart it doesn't go beyond June of this year so &g...

It's all very fuzzy now...can make web request(?) but definately can't get web response from web service
Alas...trying to get a web service response from a web service that is part of the web site in Visual Studio.Net 3.5 appears to be impossible.  Infact, I've been ALL over the internet over the past couple of days looking at all types of fragmentory examples in all types of Microsoft languages to no avail. =========QUESTION:=========1.  How do I call a web service (the function to call is "WebService_BulkData") so that my aspx page will send it a SOAP request and print out the web service response data to the page?  The aspx page AND the web service are part of t...

Can't get it to work. Can't get help.
Name: Tony Clarke Email: minionataondotat Product: Thunderbird Summary: Can't get it to work. Can't get help. Comments: Installed T'bird. Had to change defunct server that T'bird selected by default. Kept asking for passwords associated with previous email (Outlook Express ), when passwords entered then got error messages saying aon responded with 're-authentification failure'. Searched your knowledge base & help forums to no avail. Found them very user-unfriendly & ended up more confused than before. Would like to try T'bird, but I think ...

I can't get the Timer in 'System.Timers' to work.
Why does my Heartbeat not work?Is it something to do with methods needing to be static?  Even when I set AppSettings["Heartbeat"] = "1" it still does not work.//--------------------------------------------------------------------// Global.cs (part of)//--------------------------------------------------------------------    protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)    {        string strConStringName = (string)ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["connectionString"];   ...

Can't get the Web Controls to work.. The Build.Bat file doesn't work? HELP>> ARGGG>.
Hi.. I was wanting to use the IE Web Controls, the Tab Strip, etc, and play with it.. Since I have IIS 5, I thought I'd copy them there using the Read me.txt instructions and then copy to a dev server that I use at a web host.. Well, everything worked except the Build file doesn't build the Microsoft.UI.Webcontrols.DLL file? When I try to run it by double clicking on it, it runs really fast in  the DOS window, but I can't see what it says and it closes.. So I tried to do so manually and I received an error that the "cse.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command or batch...

WDP for VS2008 still doesn't allow web.config file section replacement of 'System.Net'
There were a series of posts on various blogs about the VS 2005 version of the WDP not allowing replacement of the 'System.Net' section. This was a rather significant oversight, in my opinion, as the three parts of web.config you would most likely want to replace would be appSettings for site specific attributes, connectionStrings for the proper database configuration, and System.Net to set up site-generated email. That being said, there was talk in the forums about fixing for the next release. Indeed, in the release notes for WDP for 2008 there was mention of fixes for config file u...

Can´t make a web site with a toolkit's component work in Godaddy's hosting service
When trying to reach a page with a toolkit's component I get the following Parser Error Message: "Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."Please somebody tell me if is there anything I must add to the web.config file to make it work. Many thanks in advance.  Have a look at this thread it will help you to solve this issue.http://forums.asp.net/p/1043427/1802895.aspx ...

I can't get PB's examples to work
I'm using Win95, Office 97 and PB 6.0.000. The following is copied verbatum from Sybase online documentation on the web. I also created a spreadsheet in the required directory. Every time I run it I get an error on the line: myoleobject.application.workbooks(1).worksheets(1).cells(1,1).value = 14 PB says: Powerbuilder Application Execution Error(R1038) Error: Name not found accessing external object property application at line 27 in open event of object excel. Again this example is copied directly from PB examples. The the spreadsheet is in C:\excel\expense.xls intege...

'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E
Name: Del Dyreson Email: drdyreson_at_earthlink.net Product: Firefox Summary: 'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E Comments: 'Can't save web pages, Ctrl+S. 'Can save same pages from I.E. I'm running Win2000Pro, Ver 5.0 (Build 2195, Service Pack 4). Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4 ...

When exiting a video playing with .wmv, you click the upper right "x" and you don't get back to the web homepage, you get stuck with a white, empty page. Explorer doesn't do that. It's an irritant f
Name: David Morgan Email: Dave_at_NewsCarsonCity.com Product: Firefox Summary: When exiting a video playing with .wmv, you click the upper right "x" and you don't get back to the web homepage, you get stuck with a white, empty page. Explorer doesn't do that. It's an irritant for those of us who want to use Mozilla, period. Comments: See summary. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ...

Web resources about - Can't get the source stepping to work with the System.web.pdb's - asp.net.config-deploy