Best INTRANET option; one web app or mulitple web apps

My company has several small client/server apps and they want then move to asp.net.  Some of these apps may call each other pages and share some pages for searching data.  The main question is:

Best option or practice--- Do we create multiple virtual directories or just one virtual directory and split out the apps in their own separate folders?  If we use one large app, are you able to compile just a part that was changed or do you have to bring down the entire site?  Will sub directories work the best?

Any opinions or directions to a white paper would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

0
mark836

It really depends on what you deem best.

My personal preference is to create Virtual Directories on internal web apps, and assign each app it's own App Pool (assuming Win2k3, IIS6) running under a specific domain account. This gives you a level of security for each application, in how it connects to other resources.

Depending on how you've deployed your ASP.NET 2.0 application (since 1.1 applications have to be compiled), your site can only compile the changed portion.

Mark Doyle
Doyle ITS
www.doyleits.com
0
doyleits
4/4/2008 10:30:01 PM

Well I can't point you to any white papers, but in my opinion is always depends on the situation.  However, for 2 companies I have setup intranets that consists of multiple web apps under the root folder.  I answered a question similiar to this awhile back at this link

http://forums.asp.net/t/1191595.aspx

The only problem with having multiple web apps is that it is troublesome to keep the same look across all intranet apps.  I have gotten around this using "Global Master Pages" in ASP.NET. the link above provides another link to see how to do it.  I haven't had any problems with this for the 2 companies we have set these up for.

If you decide to use one large app make sure when you compile/publish it (assuming you are using 2.0) make sure you check the box that allows fixed naming so you don't have to bring down the entire site.  You can just replace the pages/dll's that you need to.  We do that as well.  Makes for easier maintnenace.  Hopefully this helps you out somewhat.

http://www.xdevsoftware.com/blog
0
wtroom

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

.NET 2.0 encryption web.config/app.config options?
Situation: 13 servers containing both ASP .Net web sites and .NET apps. Servers are broken up in Developemnt, Test, and Production types.Issue: Need to encrypt all app.config and web.config files.Currently we are using .NET 1.1, so I had developed (test working, not yet deployed) a shared (GAC) utility that would be responsible for providing an interface to allow the encryption (DPAPI + Second Entropy) of information for the developer to manually place in each web.conf/app.config file during development. The backend of this utility was referenced by the *.config files in decrypting values on...

Deploying Web App > web.config hell ?
Hello, for the last 8 hours or so I'm trying to deploy one of my personal apps on a hosted server. I've asked the host to set the folder both as a virtual directory and as a web application. Both is done and confirmed. Now I've uploaded the application (compiled using the Project Copy in VS.NET) including the bin folder. Whenever I access the app I get this error: http://www.europeum.net/dev/MMSNET/admin/index.aspx The web.config file looks like this (standard): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <system....

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

Deploying PowerBuilder client/server app as .NET Web app
Hi when I deploy Client/Server(stand alone) PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any error messages. --Deploy--- Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed as shown below. ---------- Deploy: Deploy of p_pbtutor_webform2 (1:50:39 PM) Checking IIS server... Generating .NET assembly file... Generating PBD files... Copying to IIS server... Deploy succeeded. ---------- Finished Deploy of p_pbt...

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Passing object from one web App to another web App and back (webRequest maybe) can you help?
Hi Guys not sure if the right place for this. I am STUCK!!!! I need to pass data from one web application to another web Application and back Before implementing in the real work that I am doing , i have build a quick demo 2 Web Application Projects (WebAppA and WebAppB) 01 Class Library With 2 ClassesRequestClass (1 Property amountToPay=10)ResultClass (1 Property bool IsSuccess) WebAppA.MakePayment.aspx has method call Pay ResultClass rslt=payMethod(requestclass)  // this should be a call to WebAppB WebAppB should return a result back .How can I do it??????   I have ...

Regular web app or Mobile web app.
Im targeting PocketPCs only (w/PocketIE). I changed the web.config to cookieless="true" and placed buttons with events. Im getting the postbacks and everything looks good so far... Can we just use this intead of the mobile web app project? Whats the difference? Duke You can use either a regular Web app or a mobile app, presuming you are targeting ONLY Pocket IE. Pocket IE accepts HTML.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

Using multiple web.configs with different web apps in the same web folder.
How do I tell a web application to use a specific web.config file instead of referencing the root web apps web.config file? Example: In IIS i have this setup:My Server  Web Sites     Default Web Site (this has web.config with a reference to a HTTP Handler)     My Http Handler           My Sub Web             < --- This sub web is looking for the http handler in this web hope that makes sense.   shawn use location elem...

Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server?
Hello,I am considering developing an ASP.NET app in VS 2008 using LINQ.  I know LINQ is .NET 3.5 specific but the IIS6 web server I need to deploy to only has .NET 3.0 installed (and I can't change that).So my question: can I compile and deploy a .NET 3.5 app on a web server with .NET 3.0 on it?  If so, how - and is there any official MSFT documentation? thanks,Justin Try this out it may work, if not you won't be using Linq unless they upgrade. http://linqinaction.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/09/05/linq-support-on-net-2.0.aspx- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful rep...

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

Need helps on deploying a web services or web app to an existing web server
Hi people, I am going to deploy a new web service and a new web application to an existing web server, which is also hosting several other web apps. I am told that the IIS CAN NOT BE STOPPED, which means I can not build a MSIs to install them. Looks like only two options I can use: 1) XCOPY 2) Publish the web service or web app through the VS 2008. Can anyone please give me some advices what is the best way to have a deployment without any interruptings and less problems. Thank you.    use FTP to copy files from your system to web hoster system. you ca...

Web resources about - Best INTRANET option; one web app or mulitple web apps - asp.net.config-deploy

Intranet design, intranet case studies, social intranets, Toby Ward - Intranet Blog » Intranet Blog
The intranet is dead. How many times have we heard this tired, uninformed complaint or false prophecy in the past 10 years? Too many, which coincidentally ...

National intranet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A national intranet is an Internet protocol -based walled garden network maintaned by a nation state as a national substitute for the global ...

Enterprise social systems to supersede franchise intranets
Franchise businesses are cottoning onto the benefits of closer, up-to-the minute collaboration.

Ultra-blowout: watchdog slams schools intranet
A damning audit has revealed serious "probity lapses" surrounding the tendering of Victoria's $180 million online education network, which has ...

Ultranet School Intranet To End On Jan 1
The Victorian government’s failed $180 million schools IT experiment – intended to transform the way students learned – will end on December ...

Bitrix24 Social Intranet - Service Presentation (beta) - YouTube
Bitrix24 offers a united work space which handles the many aspects of daily operations and tasks of a company including CRM, files sharing, time ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
Most large companies have employee directories on their intranet, and most of them have two things in common: the database entries are typically ...

Iran moving ahead with plans for national intranet
The Iranian government is building its own sanitized version of the Internet, …

IBM: Intranet 2.0 can streamline business processes and foster innovation
CMOs and CIOs frequently deal with outdated, legacy intranets that lack the interaction and functionality characteristic of Web 2.0 platforms. ...

Bespoke Intranet & Extranet Development Agency - Branded3
As well as developing enriching and effortless experiences for your customers; we can do the same for you. Creating intranets and extranets is ...