Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project

I'm creating an installer for a website.

The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config.

My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.

Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?

Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the Web Deployment projects output (I don't think this can be edited once the Web Deployment project has been compiled, correct me if I'm wrong please!!!!!)

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
0
learnerplates

You can use a Web Deployment Project with a Web Setup Project. Create custom install actions in the Setup project and use the primary output of Web Deployment project. Since the custom actions will fire after the project has been physically deployed, there is no case of "modifying embedded" file as you will modify the file which is present in the user's installation directory.

Hope this helps,

Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit
11/15/2006 12:43:49 PM

I see, so the installation functionality works on the already installed website files, but is this not dictated by the developer pointing the functionality at either the Installers OnBeforeInstall, Install ot OnAfterInstall method overrides?

I tried using the web.config section substitution found in the Web Deployment project properties, it is of course a compile time substitution so of no use in my case, I require the substitution of the configuration section to be done at install time after the user has supplied input.

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
0
learnerplates
11/15/2006 12:50:45 PM

Unfortunately the OnBeforeInstall, Install  OnAfterInstall method overrides are of no practical use as such, as you must have also noticed that by the time *any* custom action fires, the installer will have installed all files in the installation directory.

I had myself used custom actions on many projects and it worked fine since the web.config was already present in the installed directory which I just had to modify using user supplied values.

HTH,

Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit
11/15/2006 12:56:59 PM

that's interesting. that would make it easier alright, as I said I foolishly was trying the .config section substution which is of no use to me as it's compile time, instead I can try the iis web.config file re-write.

So if weren't interested in patching websites or in what file format the website had in the installer why would you choose the Web Deployment + Setup over WebSetup?

BTW here's an interesting page I found yesterday, it's related to this topic

http://aspalliance.com/826_CodeSnip_Modifying_Webconfig_file_during_installation

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
0
learnerplates
11/15/2006 1:11:34 PM

>So if weren't interested in patching websites or in what file format the website had in the installer why would you choose the Web Deployment + Setup over WebSetup?

There are many advantages of using a Web Deployment Project. See this link for details:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx

Hope this helps,

Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit
11/15/2006 5:28:44 PM

Thanks Vivek, that was the first resourse I found on Web Deployment project. Great article alright.

Cheers.

LP.

http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com
0
learnerplates

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

so confused, different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project
I am so confused. Want to know what is the different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project. I have already completed a web application project. What am i going to use? Deployment or Setup?Thanks so much in advance!Justin so far i know both is useful.to get the best compile options use web deploy project.to install the web on other machine/deliver to user, use web setup project (that containing web deploy project output). Thanks Trance...

Web Deployment Project & Web Setup Project source code issue...
I seem to be having an issue using the deployment add-in and the web setup project as it pertains to the source code being included in the msi package... I have website that I have tried to deploy to a remote server where I need to run the msi installer.  it runs just fine, but includes the aspx.vb files for each page.  I have tried to follow the directions on MSDN, but they do not mirror the Visual Studio 2005 Web setup project on my machine.  Anyway, is there an option I am missing somewhere to NOT include the vb source files (code behind)?Warren LaFrance Hi Warren,&nbs...

Deploy project using Web Setup Project
Is there any way to set the version of .Net that the virtual direstory uses? When the msi from the Web Setup Project creates the virtual directory it seems to just set the .Net version to the version that the web site that the vertual directory was installed under....

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

How to setup Windows authentication mode for a web application deployed using a web setup project ?
 Hi,I would like to know if it is possible to set up the authentication mode to "Windows Authentication" for a web application deployed on IIS using a web setup project from Visual Studio 2005 and also how to do that. I know that after deploying the web application using the MSI file I can manually edit the security settings from the IIS and set the authentication mode to "Integrate Windows authentication", but I would like to do this at deploy time. Since I was not able to do that, I tried an open-source project, Windows Installer XML v3.0 - this project ev...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Setup Project: Web Service Deployment
Hi,   I created a c# web setup project to install/deploy my web service.  When I run the install project, then create a console application and tryto add web reference from local machine (to check my installation), I notice that there are 2 links to the web service:      1) http://localhost/TestWebSetup/TestWebService.asmx  //valid       2) http://localhost/TestWebSetup/TestWebSetup/TestWebService.asmx  //invalid, what is going on ??It should only be displaying the first link.  Does ...

Web resources about - Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project - asp.net.config-deploy

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

CICADA Autonomous Deployment Demonstration - YouTube
The Naval Research Laboratory Vehicle Research Section has successfully completed flight tests for the Autonomous Deployment Demonstration program. ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Canberra teen pens experience of Defence deployment through child's eyes in Soon
&quot;When you're as young as [seven] 13 months is ages: that's a Christmas and a birthday and an Easter and a whole family's worth of things ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...