aspnet_regsql problems - Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connectio

Im currently running Visual Studio 2008 on Windows Server 2008 and I keep running into problems with the aspnet_regsql tool. As Far as I know I've created all the exceptions and added my admin account to all the SQL server groups however I keep running into the same problems. The error is below:

System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

 I'm trying to create an asp.net website that integrates all the memberships, roles etc so that I can use use my profiles that I created within my classes (stored within the App_code folder)

For example i have created an Shopping basket class, user details class and billing details class.

But within my code, when I type in Profiles.Save(); it comes out with this error "System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException was unhandled by user code
  Message="The attribute 'connectionStringName' is missing or empty. (C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Documents\\FinalProjectJAS\\web.config line 38)"
  Source="System.Web"
  BareMessage="The attribute 'connectionStringName' is missing or empty."
  Filename="C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Documents\\FinalProjectJAS\\web.config"
  Line=38
  StackTrace:
       at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.InitializeStatic()
       at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.Create(String username, Boolean isAuthenticated)
       at System.Web.HttpContext.get_Profile()
       at ASP.default_aspx.get_Profile() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\finalprojectjas\466d151c\b9999dfa\App_Web_zrhaases.0.cs:line 0
  InnerException: "

Are the two errors linked in some way? Also are there any problems with the current configuration (windows server 2008 etc)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jas

0
jasr10

Based on your description, I understand you want to use aspnet_iis utility to create new database for your membership, profile, etc. But now it seems that we cannot connect database, right?

We need to make sure the database connection string is correct of LocalSqlServer name.

If we use aspnet_iis utility to create new database, we need to ensure it is created successfully. We can check if this database is created in Sql Server Management Studio. The next thing is to modify this LocalSqlServer connection points to this new database.

For more information, see http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas

default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi I always get good reply from u all, thank you,  I have copied my asp.net website from one server to another. they administrator made necessary modification on IIS manager . and able to see the website on browser. but now i can't loging to system using old password. I tryed to create new password then also it gives error System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connecti...

this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi ,       I am struck with one issue.Plz help me out if you have any solution for this one. Details Front End - Visual Studio 2005 Back End -SQL Server 2000 (Remote database)  Error i am getting is {System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) &nb...

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40)
Hi, My .NET 2005 application is on a server outsite company's domain. SQL server is in domain and port for sql server is open. TCP/IP is set for remote connection in SQL Server. Connection string in .config is     <add name="X_Conn" connectionString="Data Source=XXX;Initial Catalog=XXX;User ID=XX; Password=XXX;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> I receive the error below: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be...

SQL Express

SQl Server Error: ----> Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
  Hi Friends, Im using .Net2008 and MS SQL Server2005, I Have a web application , i want to connect to the server machine SQL Server,  When i run the application im getting the following error. Im trying to connect to the database from local machine application to server machine database   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Cou...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi all Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to reslve the Connection Issue? Please See this link : http://www.sabapvc.com/lule.aspx Any help greatly would be appreciated. Regards.  Nothing Is Quite Impossible !!! It's dissappeard... for an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' exception. But with to less information to solve this one “If something can go wrong, it will” Hi friend My problem has been resolved successfully. but still i don't know HOW? Problem was due to My connection string !!! Thank you for spending time ...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
One issue has got me stuck while getting to build  an application (ASP.NET).  Whenever I try to connect to SQL Server 2005 (installed on local host) using Visual Web Developer 2005 Databse Explorer, I get the following error message: "An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. when connection to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)" NB:  - on SQL Servers' Surface Area ...

(provider: Named Pipes Provider,error: 40
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.  I am getting this error and using this connection string Data Source=192.168.0.100;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=ENet;User ID=eonline;Password=eonline; What can be solution for this. you check if its firewall issue?James Wu (MIB426).NET is only way to goMCP, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD see thing is that it is working gud but when my application con...

(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
 Hi guys, does anyone know why I am getting this error w Godaddy, in my local envieronment works fine  "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)" my connection string is: <connectionStrings><add name="xxxxxxx"connectionString="server=p3swhsql-v21.shr.ph3.secur...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi,    I am working on VS 2005 and using SQL 2005 Express and i am processing excel files and inserting records in data base as i processing starts and almost after processing 600 i got this error provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server. how can i solve that thanx   imran akhtar hafeez Hi manaprime, Please refer to the following comments to solve your problem.     First suggestion is to make sure that you specifiy the instance name as well as the server name (christ k...

provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
hi all, Have a gud day to you... the following error was thrown when establishing the connection.. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settingsSQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) i can show some sample code also... Conn.Open()ViewState("ConnectionString") = ConnectionStringPage.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "MyMessageBoxScript&q...

(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
I've just posted mywebsite andthis error keep being trhrown as soon as I access the DB I dont understand what is going on and if I dont get it working bu today will delivery date will expire and I will get in trouble... So anyone knows what is going on It says the following: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server...

Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
I get this error when I try and log into my SQL Server 2005 database:  "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)" Does any one have solutions please reply. thanks & regards     Priya.  Try this blog post of troubleshooting steps:http://blo...

SQL Server Express Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]
HiI'm a complete sql/asp.net newbie and want to try this tutorial:http://beta.asp.net/GuidedTour/First I installed:Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2systemsettings\software shows the "sql server 2005 express edition ctp (sqlexpress)" installedmmc\service shows me the SQL Server (SQLExpress) is runningFollowing the guided tour I use the commandline, type cmd, and type in the commandbox: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD90" -S "localhost\SqlExpress"Instead of localhost I also tried computername.smallbusiness.local (thats my fully dom...

Web resources about - aspnet_regsql problems - Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connectio - asp.net.config-deploy

OSS on Azure
OSS on Azure

CorFlags Conversion Tool (CorFlags.exe)
Developer Network MSDN subscriptions Get tools Sign in Home Technologies Cloud Mobile Web Business Data Gaming Dev centers Connect Tech Advisors ...

J.D. Meier's Blog
J.D. Meier's Blog. Software Engineering, Project Management, and Effectiveness. Patterns and Practices at Microsoft.

connection string for SQL Server Express from asp.net 2.0
... 2005 Express was the Web Site Administration Tool (WSAT) having a problem connecting to said SQL Server Express instance even after aspnet_regsql ...

Visual web developer 2005 &SQL 2005 in Vista trouble-shooting - Web Development learning dairy
... a connection to the database. If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql ...

Initializing Membership Error
... Membership database objects: To create the Membership database objects in SQL Server Database, run C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ \aspnet_regsql.exe ...

OssOnAzure - Forums
Azure and Aspnet_regsql.exe [closed] Monday, June 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM Possible Duplicate: Migrating ASP.NET Membership Database to SQL Azure ...

ASP.NET SQL Server Registration Tool (Aspnet_regsql.exe)
The ASP.NET SQL Server registration tool (Aspnet_regsql.exe) is used to create a Microsoft SQL Server database that is used by the SQL Server ...

Software Publisher Certificate Test Tool (Cert2spc.exe)
Developer Network MSDN subscriptions Get tools Sign in Home Technologies Cloud Mobile Web Business Data Gaming Dev centers Connect Tech Advisors ...

ASP.NET SQL Server Registration Tool (Aspnet_regsql.exe)
... Microsoft SQL Server database for use by the SQL Server providers in ASP.NET, or to add or remove options from an existing database. The Aspnet_regsql.exe ...