Access Denied error when trying to access a networked drive folder

I am trying to access a network drive folder from an ASP.NET application and everything I
try seems to fail. The ASP.NET application makes the call Directory.GetFiles using the UNC for the folder path.
When I set Impersonate = true in the web.config file I am prompted for the username/password which does not work.
If Impersonate = false I get Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password error message.  I have
the target folder security on the networked drive set for the ASP.NET account set with full control.
Since I am using IE 6.0 I tried setting the folder security for Network Services but it still does not work.

I am using Windows 2000, .NET 1.1, IE 6.0

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0
bobert

Did you troubleshoot the network access? With Impersonate=false, The application will authenticate using the web server's ASPNET account. Are you sure the network folder is open to the web server's local ASPNET account?

Forget about the application for a few minutes...try just logging into the web server under the web server's ASPNET account. Then from windows explorer on the web server, try to get to the network folder, e.g. \\servername\foldername\....  If you the web server's ASPNET account has the permissions you require, then at least it's not a network issue.

0
kckriegs
4/20/2007 8:32:36 PM

Yes I did the troubleshooting with inpersonate=false.

 I did not setup the ASPNET account and do not have network admin privilege and do not know the password.  Does the ASPNET account have to be setup as an interactive user in order be able to login to it?

bobert
4/24/2007 12:00:49 PM

It is not possible to access a network drive even with the UNC within an ASP app.  Mapped drives are known only through windows.  The solution was to create a shared folder within the inetpub/wwwroot/app path.

0
bobert

access denied when trying access any desktopmodules folder...
maybe im losing it. I'm can access any folder/files within my dotnetnuke root folder but i cannot access any module folders inside the "desktopmodules" folder. I'm logged in as administrator and still receive "access is denied". any suggestions? no suggestions? What operating system are you using. On Windpws 2000 server I go into the Windows file manager and right click on the folder and go to permissions and give read/write/modify permission to the aspnet account. look at the file in your DotNetNuke install at: ..\Website\Documents\NTFSConfig.html    SilverlightDe...

Connection string to access network drive Access DB file with network drive locked?
Hi, I am currently facing a problem in accessing a MDB file residing in another network location. The network location is locked with a username and password. I have the user and password and would like to know what would be the connection string like in order to connection to the server. The other funny thing is that I am able to retrieve records using WEB MATRIX emulation mode with the normal connection string which do not make any sense to me. Thank you for helping. Regards,   FrancisSGDOTNET.ORG Web Matrix works, because when Web Matrix is running, it is running as a normal a...

Access denied when IIS application is trying to access share folder of another machine
Hi,  I have an application deployed in IIS 5 .1 in XP operating system. We have a share folder in other XP machine. We have given full access for this share folder to the user of the first machine where application has been deployed. But we are not able to access that folder and it is giving Access denied for that share path. Can anybody help me as I am stuck in this point?  Thanks & Regards,  Nabendu   What user are you giving access to the folder? Is it the same user that the IIS process is running under?ChrisHammond.comEngage Software Hi  Naben...

trying to access web service but access denied
hi.. I created a mobile application simply sends user name and password to a webservice to be checked whether exist or not but the web service (that runs correctly when I test it from inside of it, returns true if user exists) cannot be called. first i thought (actually my friends said) this is because of the sql server when they convert tables to access their projects run correctly but my problem is not becase of it. what can I do? my auhentication is windows integrated security if necessary.. the error that i get The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied. Descr...

Microcost Access Error While Accessing database over the network
Hi, I am currently developed a system which required to connect the Microsoft Access Database throught network. I have set the permission right for the folder that contain microsoft access to full control. However, I do get the followings error message: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unspecified error Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: Sy...

How to give a nice friendly access denied page, rather than 'server error access denied'
I have a question:How do i redirect people to a friendly HTML page if they aren't allowed access,rather than the rude error that asp.net gives as below: Server Error in '/refunds' Application.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Access is denied. My web.config is like this: <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">  <system.web>    <authorization>      <allow users="domain\abcd" />    &nbs...

A "Forbidden. You were denied access because: Access denied by access control list." appears
  Hello! A few days ago this message started to appear on my ie everytime I try to run a any web application from VS2005: Forbidden You were denied access because: Access denied by access control list.   I gave the user "ASP.NET Machine A..." administrator privileges and even reinstalled VS2005. How do I solve this problem??   Thanks!!!  Dekel C. Is this your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/316699Thanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You!...

Access Denied (policy_denied) Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL. For assistance, contact your network support team.
Name: dorothy assadi Email: fatimap77atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Access Denied (policy_denied) Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL. For assistance, contact your network support team. Comments: all of your search services are marked with the aforementioned error message. I cannot access anything email, search info on firefox because of this message. other people are also experiencing the same message. your services are top notch but not accessible. please fix it. thank you. assadi Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5....

getting access denied when trying to access samba shares
I put in \\Sambaservername and i can see all the shares perfectly. but when I try to connect from my windows pc to users i get you might not have permission to the network resource. if i click on profiles i get a user login and it won't take Administrator and my root password or root and my user password. I tried associating user names i created in linux in smbusers with accounts that exist on my pc. But when i try tor smbpasswd username it tells me that they don't exist. This is so frustrating I just want my Samba server to work. :\ -- bperrotta -----------------...

Access denied error in xml when client access increased
Hi, In my asp.net web application first time I am selecting some information from database and store it into xml file. Next time if same request comes i will not query to database just i will select from xml file. The problem is when number of client increase the access denied error is firing when reading xml file. How it can be avoided Plz Help Me Thanks in advanceSundar  ...

Access Denied Error when accessing Web service method
HiI get 401: Unauthorized access error when trying to call a web service method created in Remedy application. i tried passing Default credentials from the .NET application. it didnt work. I hv NT authentication enabled in the IIS. if i enable the anonymous access in the Default web site it works. Any help is appreciated.Thanks! Try setting impersonation value set to true in your web.config file for webservice.http://vikasnetdev.blogspot.com Hi! Thanks much for responding. The web service i am accessing is not a .NET web service. Web service is created in Remedy application. so no web.c...

access denied when trying to access authentication service through explicit SSL
So I'm using the Sys.Services.AuthenticationServices and I want the username and password to go over the wire with SSL even when I'm on a non secure http page...  I tried explicitly setting the URL <asp:ScriptManager runat="server" ID="scriptManager"><AuthenticationService Path="https://Site/Auth.asmx"/> </asp:ScriptManager>  It works fine if I'm accessing the site from https://Site but when I try to use it from http://Site I get an Access Denied error when it tries to execute the login help?I realize ( or maybe re...

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

Access Denied error when reading a folder
hi all, i have a .net(developed in C# 2005) web site hosted in a local server running windows 2003.In the site i am reading a local path and display a link to a file which is located in a shared(everyone shared) folder in another pc in the network.The problem i have is always it gives the access denied error when i try to read that path by the code. I am using Impersonation though windows authentication.Ex: in web config i put<identity impersonate="true"/>and i set directory security in iis to integated windows authentication But the program reads the specified folder witho...

Access access
========== Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks! ========== Updated 6/29/03 Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to answer some of the questions that might come up. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot more about the new version in the days to come. ;-) I hope that folks find this helpful. -- Mike Pope ASP.NET User Education 1) The AccessDataSourceControl differs from the SqlDataSourceControl in that it is designed for read-only data binding. The control does not support properties for update statements (UpdateCommand, DeleteCommand, InsertCommand) or the auto-generation properties like AutoGenerateDelete, AutoGenerateUpdate, and AutoGenerateInsert that are available on the SqlDataSourceControl. The runtime properties CanUpdate, CanInsert, CanFilter,CanSort, CanDelete will always return false. You can update Access databases, but you cannot do so using the AccessDataSourceControl. Instead, you update in code. The code builders create code for updating Access databases, but there are a ...

Error: access denied for a sub folder
Hi all, I am developing an application in which i have a folder named uploadFiles. I have set write permission to that folder while developing my application. But when i create setup for application and run the setup in client's server i loosing my folder permissions. Can any one please help me in this regards.   Hi, When we deploy ASP.NET application on IIS, the account that runs your application might be "ASPNET" or "NETWORK SERVICE" basing on IIS version. You can add the access control list (ACL) entries to the fo...

Published site -Configuration Error Message: Access to the path 'C:\Websites\abc.com\Config\mysettings.config' is denied.
HiI've a problem when i try to upload my project to ftp.The following error occured. I can't find the problem - please help!Server Error in '/' Application. Access to the path 'C:\Websites\abc.com\Config\mysettings.config' is denied. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path...

"Disk or Network Error" while accessing remote Access database
I have an application which I have deployed on my machine WINDOWS 2000 server and it is runnig fine. But when I deploy it on any other remote machine, it works fine if it accesses the local Access db, but if i try to access remote db it throws an exception "Disk or Network error". I have given full permissions to Asp.net ACCOUNT AND ALL USERS . STILL NOT ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS. Please somebody give me a solution for this thnk you vinay The ASP.NET user for localmachine is localmachine\ASPNET, so if you access an MDB on a remote machine, either remotemachine needs to have an A...

Error: "Access denied. Caller is not allowed access to a file (8201
Hello. I came in this morning and had the following error on my POA screen: Error: "Access denied. Caller is not allowed access to a file (8201 It just had that over and over. unloading everyting (mta, poa and gwia) and reloading didn't fix it. The help i've found doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Going to try to reboot the server. any help is appriciated > Hello. I came in this morning and had the following error on my POA > screen: > > Error: "Access denied. Caller is not allowed access to a file (8201 > > It just had tha...

Access Denied error when accessing WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name of impersonated user
Anybody know why I would receive an access denied error (when using code via API call to LogonUser) when I call WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name?  Even the MSDN example I followed shows using this method after impersonating the token created by making the API call, and being able to successfuly retrieve the username.   Thanks!Thank you, Hi atconway, Can you give me the code of the impersonation, and the touching of the GetCurrent.Name? Then I can try to replicate it.   Kind regards,WimPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to clic...

SQLSTATE = S1003 error message trying to access an Access 95 or 97
In Powerbuilder, you will get the message SQLSTATE = S1003, [MicroSoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range in a Database messagebox. The message will appear any time you try to access an Access 95 or 97 database after Access 2000 has been installed. What is the solution to this problem? This is an FAQ Shall I assume you are PB6.5 or earlier. First step is to update to 6.5.1 and latest EBF. /ck "Edgar A. Gonz�lez" <distinct75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjneZiPCCHA.81@forums.sybase.com... > In Powerbuilder, you will get the message S...

Access denied error when writing file to the folder....
Hi,I got the below error when I write the image file to the folder.  System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Timecheck_Neuland_Release\Masters\1logo.bmp' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.Delete(String path) at Masters_TA_UI_Master_LevelChildView.GetImage(Byte[] Logo) at Masters_TA_UI_Master_LevelChildView.getLevelDetails(Int32 levelid) at Masters_TA_UI_Master_LevelChildView.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)I have changed the <indentity impersonate="t...

Access to Path Denied Error
I'm relatively new to asp.net and have run into a problem with getting an "Access to the path <filename> is denied" Error.  I'm using the 3.0 framework on a 2003 machine.  The application has impersonate=true, thus is supposedly using the IUSR_ account.  Everytime I remove and add the IUSR to the application root directory the application works again.  However, the files get moved to the windows 2003 server via repliweb.  Whenever I push files to the 2003 machine I get the error "Access to the path <filename> is denied" and have to remove and then add th...

Web Deployment Project error
Hi,i'm new to web deployment projects.  I have one working to deploy my webapp to a server, and it works fine.  When I try to change the outputPath to another server, it does not work.  I get error: ASPNETCOMPILER : error ASPRUNTIME: Access to the path '\\stage\E$\www\ttw\bin\pcs.master.cdcab7d2.compiled' is denied.    The command exited with code 1. I've cleared out the folder where it's deploying to, and there are no files in this location.  The iis setups are mostly the same on both servers.  I've read the deploymen...

Web resources about - Access Denied error when trying to access a networked drive folder - asp.net.config-deploy

Consent of the Networked - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Technical Commons - This section describes the World Wide Web technical standards and organizations and people who have influenced these ...

Networked NGO Pakistan Maps - a set on Flickr

Networked Society, On the Brink - YouTube
In On The Brink we discuss the past, present and future of connectivity with a mix of people including David Rowan, chief editor of Wired UK; ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

Liverpool Council creates networked city using e-band microwave
Liverpool's microwave network will provide provide free Wi-Fi, CCTV surveillance, voice and data communications between council networks.

Lone madman or a networked holy warrior?
Following the Sydney siege, we must avoid defaulting to the view that any criminal act that includes a garbled interpretation of the Islamic ...

Eight Questions: Rebecca MacKinnon, "Consent of the Networked"
... bring about the end of Communist Party rule. A decade later, as Ms. MacKinnon documents in her recently released book “Consent of the Networked,” ...

How Novelists Networked
Jason Diamond provides background on the literary clubs of Victorian England: The words “Victorian club scene” might lead you to picture the ...

DOD aims to back up underarmed fighters with networked “arsenal planes”
... pad for all sorts of different conventional payloads. In practice, the arsenal plane will function as a very large airborne magazine, networked ...

SAE Congress: Chevy Volt OnStar 4G LTE Research Vehicle is networked to the gills
... all sorts of media from the cloud to the back seats: videos, video calls, etc. Via the built-in front screen, the car could also control networked ...