Unique Problem - Multiple Communities, Multiple Domains, Single IP

ASP newbie here - Hope someone has some insight.

I've checked the threads for multiple communities, and haven't found a solution that works for me nor a description of a problem just exactly like this.
I have two websites - lucidmoment.com and blossomhillcollies.com
They work on the same server using host headers. I have a static page at both of those sites so I know IIS is working.
I have installed CSK using blossomhillcollies.com, and that community seems to work fine.
Using ISPAdmin, I tried adding a community for lucidmoment.com - that site either doesn't work or I am trying to access it incorrectly.
here is my hosts file:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 lucidmoment
127.0.0.1 blossomhillcollies
127.0.0.1 www.lucidmoment.com
127.0.0.1 www.blossomhillcollies.com
127.0.0.1 lucidmoment.com
127.0.0.1 blossomhillcollies.com
In ISPAdmin here are the settings for lucidmoment:
community name: lucidmoment
primary domain: lucidmoment.com
community domain: lucidmoment.com
community subdomain: *

When I try to get to http://www.lucidmoment.com it brings up my static page as it should.
When I try to get to http://www.lucidmoment.com/csk/default.aspx I receive the following error:
Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Requested Url: /csk/default.aspx

Yes, I abreviated my Community Starter Kit folder name to csk during the install. I have tried it the other way as well and neither one work.
Tips, tricks or suggestions? I'd apprecate any input.
Thanks.
0
bruss01
12/17/2003 12:21:00 AM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Seems to me your problem is with your host headers and the magic that is happening in IIS to support the two different domain names. Try removing the host headers and see if your second csk app works.

HTH,
0
Jeff
12/17/2003 12:48:53 AM
You say you have two sites in IIS using host headers.

1) Does that mean you have two different root web sites configured in IIS, each with its own host header for one of the communities?
2) Or does that mean you setup the host headers for both domains in a single IIS root web site?
Normally the CSK is designed only to work with the second setup where one IIS web site is configured to answer requests for both domains. It could possibly work with two root IIS web sites, if both root web sites were mapped to the exact same physical folder where the CSK is installed... but that kinda defeats the purpose.
Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
redd
12/17/2003 3:26:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, Redd....

I'm not sure I understand your question though, so I'll give you some more detail on how they are set up.
My IIS looks like this:
INTERNET INFORMATION SERVICES
w2kserver
default FTP Site
default web site
administration web site (stopped)
lucidmoment
blossomhillcollies
csk
Both lucidmoment and blossomhillcollies are set up with host headers.
For the host header configuration, lucidmoment is set to respond to
lucidmoment.com
www.lucidmoment.com
blossomhillcollies is set to respond to:
blossomhillcollies.com
www.blossomhillcollies.com
both respond only to requests on port 80
I know that the IIS host headers are working because each site has a distinct "splash" page
that is static html named "default.htm" which are both working perfectly. Each page will have
an "Enter" button that should bring up the proper community. This is working fine for blossomhillcollies as is. The files for lucidmoment reside in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\lucidmoment and the files for blossomhillcollies reside in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\blossomhillcollies.
Redd said:
"It could possibly work with two root IIS web sites, if both root web sites were mapped to the
exact same physical folder where the CSK is installed... but that kinda defeats the purpose. "
What I want is to host two completely independent web sites that can exist blissfully unaware
of each other's existence. I want each site to have it's own community. No content or
functionality are to be shared between the two. I have sql server 2000 running on this server and I don't care if the csk uses one database or two, as long as the communities can be completely independent. Do I need multiple installs of CKS to accomplish this? Tried that once, apparently very wrongly, as both sites then directed to the same community.
Forgive me, but I didn't understand what you said about "if both root web sites were mapped
to the exact same physical folder where the CSK is installed". How exactly is that
accomplished? Any help in getting to where I want to be on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.
Brad
0
bruss01
12/17/2003 5:58:02 PM
Sorry all,

looks like spacing got stripped on that last post:
the virtual folder "csk" appears in the blossomhillcollies site in the IIS description above.
0
bruss01
12/17/2003 6:00:26 PM
Brad,

The reason your one domain works and the other doesn't is because your CSK application is part of the blossomhillcollies site and not the lucidmoment site.
The way the CSK is setup it manages the domains in a similar fashion as the host headers do in IIS.
I'm not really sure what it is your are trying to accomplish. Do you only want CSK driven website or do you want the communities to be part of a larger "site"?
If you want both domains to have two totally separate communities then create a CSK site and have each domain point to the CSK. In the ISPAdmin page you will define two communities, as you have already done. This will enable two totally separate community sites run by the same code base.
You can elect to have the CSK code base installed multiple times just make sure you also have a database for each install. Then modify the web.config in each site making sure it points to the correct database.
Personally I find running from one code base with multiple domain names pointed to the same IP easier to maintain.
HTH,
0
Jeff
12/17/2003 8:35:07 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.
You asked:
"I'm not really sure what it is your are trying to accomplish. Do you only want CSK driven website or do you want the communities to be part of a larger "site"? "
lucidmoment.com is my personal site. I want to manage it myself, and it will be for friends, family, possibly potential employers and/or clients to view.
blossomhillcollies is for my in-laws. I want THEM to manage it. It will be for dog-fanciers, their fan club, and people curious about the Collie breed.
I don't want people who visit either site to even be aware that the other exists. I don't want the in-laws trying to change something on their site and end up screwing up something at lucidmoment.com. I want to be able to wipe lucidmoment entirely or change it entirely without any risk of affecting anything at blossomhillcollies.com (and thus ensuring an angry call from the in-laws wondering why their site is suddenly messed up).

You suggest:
"If you want both domains to have two totally separate communities then create a CSK site and have each domain point to the CSK."
You lost me here... isn't blossomhillcollies already a CSK site? How do I make lucidmoment "point" at it? keeping in mind that all the content and functionality of lucidmoment will be different? I will have content at both sites aside from the communities. Or are you saying to create a third site, let's say "genericCSKsite" and make both lucidmoment and blossomhillcollies point at it? (again, how to make it point... and allow for differing content)
You continue:
"You can elect to have the CSK code base installed multiple times just make sure you also have a database for each install. Then modify the web.config in each site making sure it points to the correct database. "
That's sounding closer to what I had in mind... but I'm not sure how to go about modifying the web.config file you mentioned... can you provide some details?
Thanks very much... I think this is getting closer to what I need.
Brad
0
bruss01
12/17/2003 9:02:16 PM
Hey all,

I would like to describe what I have done in case others have the same issue.
First, I did a second install of the CSK for my second domain, specifying a different database during the setup process. After this, I noticed that the second database existed in SQL but that both sites directed to the same data. I also noticed that both sites contained a csk (community starter kit is default, but too wordy for me) virtual folder that pointed to the same physical folder.
Second, I made a copy of the folder ABOVE that one (C:\Program Files\ASP.NET Starter Kits\ASP.NET Community Starter Kit (VBVS) ) and named the new copy a different name. Then I changed the virtual folder of the original site to point to this new copy.
Third, I went into the virtual folder (csk) and edited the web.config file to point to the correct database. web.config is an xml file, and in the <database> segment you will see the connection string. I changed the database to the corrected name for each site.
After having done this, both sites now bring up their separate communities.
Hope that helps someone...
Thanks everyone for your valuable assistance here.
0
bruss01