The connection with the server was reset

When someone external tries to download a large file from our site built with CSK, they get this error message.  I would think its a timeout problem except for the fact that it happens within the first 2 minutes.  Anyone run into this problem and have any idea on how to fix it?
0
Niyoto
3/22/2004 10:46:43 PM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

This sounds like an FTP error, not an HTTP error.

Either way though, connection reset errors are almost always network issues, but are rarely timeout issues. Typically I see these on high latency networks or networks dropping a lot of packets. This is a very annoying error, and I have a very long personal history of failing to locate meaningful information about it. But I haven't seen it come up with standard browser Http connections before.

Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
redd
3/23/2004 2:11:41 PM
the CSK stores its downloads in SQL in a binary field.  So when someone tries to download the file using the website it queries the database and streams the binary file to them.  At least this is how I understand it working.  I have checked my query timeouts and by default they are set to 600 (5 minutes).  The users are getting the error well before 5 minutes, so the timeout cannot be the problem.

When testing internally behind our firewall we do not get the error popping up. But on our internal machines outside of the firewall we do get this error. These machines do not have high latency and aren't dropping lots of packets.
Do you know any other reason why SQL would reset the connection, or if perhaps a firewall would somehow cause this problem?
0
Niyoto
3/24/2004 8:29:55 PM
Persumably the SQL server's connection isn't the issue based on the info you provided. There is no communication between browser and SQL server. All communication involving the SQL server would be from the web server. Assuming the web server and SQL server are both inside the same firewall, I can't see a problem being in this connection (if it were, it shouldn't matter where the browser was located, you'd see the same errors with the same frequency).

It seems an odd problem, but still sounds like a network issue between the browser and the web server.
i would advise treating as a general network issue though as I also doubt the problem is code related. The CSK isn't particularly sensitive to slow conections between the SQL server nor the DB server compared to other applications.
Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
redd

Telligent Community Server Starter Kit versus Microsoft Community Starter Kit
This ASP.NET forum lists GoDaddy.com as supporting the Microsoft Community Starter Kit.  After going through the setup on GoDaddy.com, I realize that they installed Telligent's Community Server Starter Kit.  I have been browsing this forum, and have not gotten a good answer to several questions.  I get the drift that Telligent has taken over the active development of the CSK project and is further developing the Starter Kit?  Telligent's starter kits are open-source (sort-of), but the realities of development determine that a the Starter Kit have a financial backin...

How does Community Starter Kit compare with Community Server
in terms of features, performance, scalability etc ?Has anyone used both ? I have extensively evaluated Community Server 2.1 and even use it for blogging. It works great ! I am wondering how this starter kit compares... mycodetrip.com haathi: in terms of features, performance, scalability etc ?Has anyone used both ? I have extensively evaluated Community Server 2.1 and even use it for blogging. It works great ! I am wondering how this starter kit compares... You want the long or the short version? LOLKind regards,Gift Peddie check this: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1406935.asp...

How to open Community starter kit in VS.NET for VB.NET?
Hi,   Some one please tell me how to open community starter kit in VS.NET 2003 as there is no solution object or project file in CommunityStarterKit folder. I have read the documents and installation is fine. Some one tell me please   Thanks There are two different formats of the CSK download. One format uses the SDK compilers and is best if you use notepad, webmatrix or similar. The other format is for Visual Studio . Net users.http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/DownloadCommunity.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 Assuming you downloaded the VS.net version and installed it us...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Community Server and Personal starter Kit
I was wondering if any one had any ideas on how to intergrate Community Server in to Personal Web site starter kit.Taking in to account that my Personal Websirte Starter Kit which has been changed beyond recognition is VB and Community Server is C#I was thinking whether it would be possible to insert it in to the content area of Personal Website starter kit. Any ideas would be great ...

Details on how to integrate Cute Editor for .NET with Community Starter Kit
Cute Editor for ASP.NET is the most powerful WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) browser-based Online HTML Editor for ASP.NET. Details: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx We've had a few requests recently for integrating Cute Editor with CommunityStarterKit. Here are the steps: 1. Download Cute Editor for .NET(CuteEditor_for_NET4.0.zip) from http://cutesoft.net/Downloads/default.aspx 2. Download Cute Editor Wraper for CommunityStarterKit (CommunityStarterKit.CuteEditorWraper.zip) from http://cutesoft.net/Downloads/default.aspx 3. Unzip the CuteEd...

setting up starter kit on remote server connection string problem
Hi I have set up the starter kit on my local machine and it works fine. I have uploaded the whole site using the copy site function in visual web dev. When I browse to the default page I get an error page Server Error in '/' Application I have created a database on the mssql server and run the installation script so the database is there and has tables etc. i can connect to it with ems sql manager lite and run the installation sql script so\no problem connecting to it my connection string is <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"> <connect...

How do I install or deploy another instance of Community Starter Kit on to the same server ?
I have already installed the Community Starter Kit which runs pretty good on the IIS 6.0 server. Now I am thinking of installing another instance of the kit but on different virtual directory and serve different group of community members, But when I install, it gives me an option to remove or to repair instead of having another instance installation options, How to I have more community kit installed on same server ? Thank you You will have to create your additional installations manually. Create your site/virtual directory in IIS and point it to the folder where you want the...

New to .NET
New to .NET - how to setup the first Starter Kit that works on a shared server?  I get some common errors... but since I am so new I can not find anywhere when I search what to do to move from the local server to the remote server.  I have a shared server and I was planning on doing a site in /dev/ so I can practice before making it live.... yet I can not get anything to work.   Thanks, Nathan There are forums for each starter kit, and most have walktrhoughs for common problems moving to a host.  Setting permissions, creating the application root, configuring the da...

Can I make the Club Starter Kit work on a 1.1 .NET Server?
Hi,I am a newbie to ASP and .NET.  Anyway I ordered the full Beta 2 of VS2005, I have 2003 which I use to develop applications.  My wife has a group of her friends that want a webpage that pretty much is covered by the Club Starter Kit, great I thought.  Well I got it all up and working great on my machine and went to upload it to my ISP (Network Solutions, I know another Bonehead mistake).  I could not seem to get it to work until I realized that they are probably not running .NET Framework 2.0.  They are running 1.1.So is there a way that I can "Compile" the club w...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

Web resources about - The connection with the server was reset - asp.net.community-starter-kit

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...