Need help getting this started...

I am knew to asp.net and have no coding experience to speak of.  I am trying to work with the community starter kit and have no success in getting started.  Are there any SIMPLE instructions for novices that explain how to setup and use this kit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RM

0
Rmorton
9/19/2005 10:01:15 PM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello,
I am also relatively new. But I just went through a lot of this, so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, it took me 3 different downloads to find a kit that installed all the way through without error. I suggest that you do NOT choose the JS versions (J-sharp). Although it installed okay, it did not have a Discuss Section option for the forum. I don't think this is a bug because even the documentation does not list a Discuss Section. Another one that I downloaded kept giving me errors. However, I did find the VBVS version installable; plus it had all the section options. So, I would suggest that you download that one. The install will come up and ask you what your database server name is. The normal methods of getting this info in the command prompt did not work for me, as it told me that my server name was 'local'. You will actually find the name of your database server in your SQL error log, which starts up every day (as long as you have done the prerequisite install of MSDN, etc.) I should mention that I am using the XP system. On my system (and hopefully on yours, I found the error logs in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$VSDOTNET\LOG. The name is located in both ERRORLOG and SQLAGENT files. In the same dialog box that it asks for the server name, it asks for authentication info. The only way that worked for me was to select Windows auth. All my attempts to do SQL login always failed. (Someone else may know how to do the SQL auth)
From there my install continued okay. The other problem that I had is that I had not started ASP.NET after installing it. You do this by going to the command prompt, navigating to Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322, and inputing the command "aspnet_regiis -i" .  If your admin pages come up as static html, then you know that you have not started ASP.
Someplace in all of this (I think during CommunityStarterKit install) you will be asked to give a virtual directory name.  You probably don't want to use your default site because the default site gives a lot of IIS info that you probably don't want to delete. So, just give it a name. I used 'CommunityStarterKit' for mine.
If everything has gone well, then when you bring up the link, "http://localhost/CommunityStarterKit/default.aspx, you will be brought to the first of the pages that gets you started creating your community. This part is self evident. You are just filling out text boxes and checking lists or choosing radio button selections that describes the type of sections that you want. After you install the CommunityStarterKit, there is documentation stuck into START>ALL PROGRAMS>ASP.NET STARTER KITS>ASP COMMUNITY STARTER KITS (VBVS)>COMMUNITY STARTER KIT DOCUMENTATION.

I hope this little bit helps.
VCM
0
vmorri
9/20/2005 3:07:11 PM

Thanks for the info.  I will try and work through your notes and see what happens.  I have never worked with SQL server so chances are i dont have everything configured or installed correctly.  When i start up the Community setup wizrd i get the following error message before anything else.
Thanks for your help

 the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80005000): Unknown error (0x80005000)
   at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
   at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
   at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_IsContainer()
   at System.DirectoryServices.ChildEnumerator..ctor(DirectoryEntry container)
   at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.GetEnumerator()
   at CSKSetup.CreateVirtualDirectory.GetWebSites(String iisRoot)
   at CSKSetup.CreateVirtualDirectory.CreateVirtualDirectory_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.6018
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.0.3705/mscorlib.dll
CSKSetup
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1243.36067
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1243.36067
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/ASP.NET%20Starter%20Kits/ASP.NET%20Community%20Starter%20Kit%20(VBVS)/Setup/CSKSetup.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.6018
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.6018
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
DataBaseServers
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/ASP.NET%20Starter%20Kits/ASP.NET%20Community%20Starter%20Kit%20(VBVS)/Setup/DataBaseServers.DLL
System.Drawing
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.6018
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.00.9951
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
System.DirectoryServices
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.6018
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.directoryservices/1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.directoryservices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

0
Rmorton
9/21/2005 5:31:46 AM
I think you need to install the .NET framwork 1.1 to fix thoes errors you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en

0
Devguy

getting started with community starter kit
Hi I have just installed the community starter kit and i am very lost in the ocean. Basically i am looking for the files involved in the registration form of the community, and i cant find any in the solution provided. Where shd i look for users_registrationform.ascx and corresponding aspx. I cud only see register.cs and registerform.cs and i am vey handicapped with this only. am also looking for a way to prevent the redirection to the homepage the mmt user clicks on "register" button.. but i am not aware how to modify this below to achieve my purpose : if (result >...

Telligent Community Server Starter Kit versus Microsoft Community Starter Kit
This ASP.NET forum lists GoDaddy.com as supporting the Microsoft Community Starter Kit.  After going through the setup on GoDaddy.com, I realize that they installed Telligent's Community Server Starter Kit.  I have been browsing this forum, and have not gotten a good answer to several questions.  I get the drift that Telligent has taken over the active development of the CSK project and is further developing the Starter Kit?  Telligent's starter kits are open-source (sort-of), but the realities of development determine that a the Starter Kit have a financial backin...

Just need some help getting started and not sure where to go for help!
Hello All, My company is interested in hosting Exchange 2003, i have read this list and figured out I need to use some combo of MPS, MOM DCAM, MOM DB, EXCH Back-end, EXCH Front-End, and a couple of AD servers however I am not even sure where to start. We are a MS Parnter and have an SPLA license but we were sent the "Hosted Exchange" media and all it was is EXCH Standard Edition. Is there some documentation somewhere that tells me how to setup the environment and all that is required? I am good at Exchange AD, MOM, SQL, all that in an Enterprise Environment but I have no clue...

How to open Community starter kit in VS.NET for VB.NET?
Hi,   Some one please tell me how to open community starter kit in VS.NET 2003 as there is no solution object or project file in CommunityStarterKit folder. I have read the documents and installation is fine. Some one tell me please   Thanks There are two different formats of the CSK download. One format uses the SDK compilers and is best if you use notepad, webmatrix or similar. The other format is for Visual Studio . Net users.http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/DownloadCommunity.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 Assuming you downloaded the VS.net version and installed it us...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

New to kit and web dev. need help CLUB Starter Kit 3.0
  Found problem -  in database and edited form admin account How do edit simple things like the club name or my site tag line. I now how in the regular starter kit but not this one. After that any swimple documents on work with the sit would be great.  The info I want to change is not in the web.config I am using visual web dev 2008. Thank you, Jim All the club names and tag are stored in the database.We created an admin page for editing that. It all should be in the docs.Zack OwensCoordinator for the ClubStarterKit (Open Source)http://codeplex.com/clubstarterkit Ve...

Need help getting started
Ok, I'm quite new with AJAX and it seems cool...  I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and I believe I have ASP.NET AJAX - I say believe because I went to apply the "convert" instructions and the mods already seem to be in place... If I underatand correctly, AJAX allows us to put display type controls inside UpdatePanels and then have them update with new information based on receiving events from user input type controls - like buttons.  I have several UpdatePanels with AsyncPostBackTriggers referencing other controls like buttons. Is the implecation here that we no longe...

Help Needed Getting Started
I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error: Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review t...

Need help getting started
Hello. I'm trying to learn C#. I own two web sites but neither supports ASP.Net. I need an area to test my C# pages. Is there a program I can download to do so? Alex Hello Alex_dude,   Have a look at Visual Web Developper for ASP.NET 2.0 and Webmatrix for ASP.NET 1.1 Webmatrix comes withhis own webserver. For Visual Webdevelopper you need IIS (I think, never checked it out). I suggest you using Visual Webdeveloper as it is free and has the same look and feel as Visual Studio .NET   Good luck and have fun   Leketje   Leketje wrote:For Visual Webdeve...

need help getting started!
I hope I"m allowed to post this here, as it is somewhat related to ASP.NET. I'm new to programming, and people said that I should learn C# before trying to attempt ASP.NET, and so I've started reading Learning C#by Jesse Liberty. And I'm following his instructions and he says to go to the command prompt and enter csc helloworld.cs. But when I do that, it says, 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! CSC will be in <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<ve...

Need Help getting Started
Aloha, I had no problem loading up the Portal VS and recevied this message when trying to view the page: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. Here are the error messages: ...

Needs help on getting starting...
Hello , I am new to developing with ASP. I have to develop an order tracking intranet application.The application will be to track request for proposal that will pass thru 5 stages before we come up with a bid. I will be using SQL Server database. and windows 2003 server. I there any example that I can use or any that you would recommend that I look at? Thanks Khurshid Check out the ASP.NET Starter Kits....

Need Help Getting Started
I am trying to create my first WebPart using Visual Studio.Net 2008 and C#. This will be used in an ASP.Net web application and I don't have any plans for use in SharePoint at this time. I haven't found any code samples so I started by creating a new User Control (.ascx). The first thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be any project templates for WebParts, is that true? I attempted to go two routes, first to use WebPart as the base class and the second to use System.Web.UI.UserControl, IWebPart as the base class + Interface. I found problems using this both ways. W...

Need Help Getting Started....
http://worldpedigrees.com/Beagles.htm thats a site i'm looking to create my site after.... I'm wanting a database thats easy to use and everything... look it over and give me some ideas... jack Uh? Come again? I'm sorry but you'll have to provide a little more detail of what "ideas" you're looking for here."I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown...

Web resources about - Need help getting this started... - asp.net.community-starter-kit

Tel Aviv Pub Shooting: Two Dead, Eight Injured, Perpetrators Still Unknown
At least two people have been killed, and at least eight more injured, in a shooting at a bar in Tel Aviv located at the Gordon and Dizengoff ...

A Clash of Heavyweights, and Styles, for College Football's Top Prize
New York Times A Clash of Heavyweights, and Styles, for College Football's Top Prize New York Times ARLINGTON, Tex. — So good was Alabama's ...

I can’t wait to see deleted scenes from ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
I’m one of the many people who watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens soon after it premiered and I loved it. Sure, there are some things I didn’t ...

‘Hotline Bling’: From ‘American Horror Story’ To President Obama, It’s Everywhere!
“Hotline Bling” has become an epic song that has gone beyond viral. It seems everyone wants to cover it, do a remix, or in some way be involved ...

Two Ben Carson staffers leave stumbling campaign
WASHINGTON — Republican Ben Carson has lost two top members of the staff from his stumbling campaign amid declining poll numbers and signs of ...

Bill Cosby could be ruined by civil lawsuits even if trial jury finds him innocent, lawyers say
Cosby was charged in suburban Philadelphia on Wednesday in the only criminal case he has faced.

Taylor Swift – “Out Of The Woods” Video
Taylor Swift debuted the video for 1989 's next official single, the Jack Antonoff co-write " Out Of The Woods ," last night by way of Dick Clark's ...

Wayne Rogers, RIP
(Steven Hayward) Sad news last night of the passing of actor Wayne Rogers, best known to readers of a certain age as Tapper John on MASH in ...

‘Affluenza’ teen may delay deportation with human rights law
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Lawyers for a Texas teen who cited "affluenza" as a defense in a deadly drunken-driving wreck may be attempting to stall ...

Twitter restores Politwoops which archives tweets deleted by politicians
Twitter move follows agreement with transparency groups.