local msde SQL database to host MS SQL 2000 database w/o Enterprise manager possible?

I have msde on my computer and i was wondering if was possible to upload my CSK database from it to my hosts MS SQL 200 database. I dont have Enterprise manager or anything like that but i am using VS.NET
0
adwins04
5/26/2004 9:50:13 PM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The simplest way would be to grap a 3rd party tool that can provide enterprise manager like functionality for you. There are several out there ranging from free to cheap. Search google for MSDE managment tools. You might get lucky and find one that does something similar to DTS for transferring objects and data from one server to another.

Otherwise, if you have a version of VS.NET that supports database projects (I know Enterprise Architect edition does, but I don't know which of the smaller versions include that feature) you can use the database project. What you'd do is create a DB project and point it at the server where the CSK database sits currently. Then use the Server Explorer to generate create scripts for ALL of your database objects. Use the default options for creating the scripts. Once you have all your scripts generated, use the server explorer to export the data from all your tables. Then you can create a command file in solution explorer that includes all the create and data scripts.
The commands to generate scripts and export data are right click options in server explorer. The command to generate command files is a right click option in solution explorer.
You can then run the command file against the target database.
This is the technique that I used to create the initial command file for the GCN project. I can tell you from extensive experience though that with this technique you need to test your command file very thouroughly before you run it on the final target database. The generated command file will almost certainly not run the create scripts for the tables in the correct order so you'll have to reorder these in the command file manually before the commend file will actually run without error. The problem is that the command file generation doesn't know which tables are related via foreign keys to other tables and so it will attempt to create dependant tables before the parent tables have been created. It took me a couple of hours to reorder the GCN command file before it ran to completion.
However, you could download the GCN installation and look at the command file we used there. Though the GCN command file is highly customized beyond what VS.NET generates, the section of our command file that contains the table creation scripts can guide you on what order your own table creation scripts should be ran in.

Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
redd

Do I need MS SQL database hosting to get the personal website starter kit to work?
Ive just downloaded 'Visual Web Developer Express beta 2' and am very new to all this. I have been playing arround with the personal website starter kit. Ive added a few pages changed some styles and now want to publish my first website. Im aware that currently the ASP.Net 2.0 service is only available on free trials, but when these expire will I have to pay the additional fees to activate MS SQL database hosting in addition to ASP.Net 2.0 scripting in order to get the site to work? i think the user registration and photo albums use this feature but im not ...

How to create SQL Mobile 2005 database from a MS SQL 2005 database?
Hi guys,I'm trying to find solutions to help me in creating a SQL Mobile 2005 database from a SQL 2005 database, with the same table structure and data.May I know how can I achieve this?Thanks.Regards,Jenson Hi Jenson, Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 is able to open SQL Mobile 2005 database. However you need either SQL or .NET code to convert SQL Mobile 2005 database this way. Here is an example from MSDN forums which is to convert to xls instead: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78640&SiteID=1Zhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Suppo...

Cannot Restore SQL 2000 database in SQL Server Management Studio (2008)
At work we are in the process of moving over from  SQL Server 2000 and ASP.NET 1.1 (vs2003) to SQL Server 2008 and ASP.NET 2.0 (vs2008) My co-worker can but I cannot restore the SQL Server from a backup of the Production server (.BAK) through SQL Server Management Studio. I get "Exclusive Access could not be obtained because the database is in use." error even if I change my login to default to the master database and I have no other service connected to the database. It is a development database so nobody else even has access to it. I am able to restore it by RDP into...

New errors access MS SQL Server Database on (CREATE DATABASE and Batch SQL Statement)
------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2F2CB.0C201FF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm running ActiveState perl 5.8.0 on a WIN2K box with MS SQL Server = 2000. Recently I updated DBD-ODBC to v1.05 and DBI to v1.35 Now I get the following errors executing some sql commands CREATE SQLSTMT:[CREATE DATABASE POMS_SER ON (NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_DAT', = FILENAME =3D 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_SER_Data.MDF', SIZE =3D 10MB) LOG ON = ( NAME =3D 'POMS_SER_LOG', FILENAME =3D = 'd:\Database\POMS\POMS_S...

How to create a data diagram in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio for a SQL Server 2000 database
Hello: I have an old database created in SQL Server 2000, now I can open, access it in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, but I can't create Data Diagrams. Please advise on how to make it work.... Thank you Expand the database folder in Object Explorer and the first folder under the databases is the "Database Diagrams". Right click -> New database diagram.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Thank you for replying :)  but that only works for database created in SQL Server 2005, my database is created in SQL Server ...

Creating a local Database(On my pc) in MS Sql Server management Studio
Hi,   I would like to create a local database(On my pc) - I am using MS Sql Server management Studio. It bring up a login screen for current Databases created, but nothing to create a local(new) database.   Can anyone assist me please. Thank you in advance Hi,     By default SQLEXPRESS will be installed on your local machine. Connect to the SQLExpress using Management Studio, by providing the server name as .\SQLExpress and use windows nt authentication. Once after connecting to the Database instance then you create the database by right clicking on the Da...

sql server 2000 backup programitically possible on shaired hosting database
i have sql server 2000 databse on shaired hosting i want to take backup of that database, how can it be done programitacally or any tools available there . i have limited access to database currently connecting through QueryAnalyzer on local m/c ,it is very time consuming +tedious task to do . i simple word i want to manage my database like one can manage through enterprise manager, how it can be done any tools available some what good functionality for managing database on remote server. or is there any way to take backup through coding (connecting 2 sql server databases). please healp m...

how to create aspnetdb.mdb database in hosted sql 2005 server for classifieds starter kit
Plz. tell me how i can create aspnetdb.mdb database file in hosted sql 2005 server because in the classifieds starter kit , only script file for classifedsdb has been provided not for aspnetdb.mdb ..... also tell me how the connection string should be to access aspnetdb file Using Access instead of Sql Server for membership is explained here: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=404 Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site I use godaddy, and I set it up with two MSSQL databases. The way godaddy has it setup, is when you create a database, it is automatically configure...

Managing SQL Express Databases with standard version of SQL Server Management Studio
I have a windows 2003 server which has SQL 2005 Express with advanced services installed on it. Then a few weeks back the company purchased SQL server Standard Edition which comes with SQL Server Management Studio (which has more features than SQL Server Management Studio Express currently installed on the server where sql express is running)I have been trying to schedule a maintanance plan on the SQLExpress Instance database from the SQL Server Management Studio that came with the standard version of sql but i have not been able to have all SQL Server Management Studio functionality availab...

I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio
I imported a SQL Table into SQL DataBase, But I can not update this table even with SQL Server management Studio When I change any data on mentioned table above, Red exclamation sign appears left of the record . How can I correct this problem?  Thanks. Try running the UPDATE via Query Analyzer...and see if you get an error.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.***********************...

Why I cannot create/edit tables in VS.Net Server explorer for SQL Server 2000 Developer local database?
I found that when I install MSDE, then I can create/edit database objects for MSDE database in Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer, but when I try to create/edit database objects under the default database created by the SQL Server 2000 installation, I cannot do these tasks as no option for these tasks appear when I right-click on the database object in Server Explorer.  Anyone knows why this is happening?sun21170 I reproed your issue. And I found in MSDN it is said the Server Explorer can: -Open and view Server Explorer -Add a data connection -Add a server -Drag a...

How do I create a SQL 2005 database from a SQL 2000
I have a SQL 2000 database on one server that I'm trying to transfer to a new server.  The new server has Small Business Server R2 Premium Edition, which includes SQL 2005. I tried to transfer the database in the normal way that I'd create a copy database, which was: -1.   Backup the source database2.   Create a new database (empty) in the new server3.   Restore to this database from the backup taken in #1. Of course on previous occasions I wasn't changing version, but I expected that this would either fail immediately (message "incorrect...

pervasive database and sql server 2000 database
Is a pervasive database its own database or is it another layer to connect to ax existing database such as sql server 2000.  What the hell is pervasive database. Pervasive is an RDBMS (relational database management system) like SQL Server but I have not used it.  Try the link below for the company history.  Hope this helps.http://www.pervasive.com/company/overview/index.aspKind regards,Gift Peddie...

Web resources about - local msde SQL database to host MS SQL 2000 database w/o Enterprise manager possible? - asp.net.community-starter-kit

Enterprise Apps Today - CRM, business intelligence and ERP news and research
News and research on CRM, business intelligence, ERP, supply chain management and other enterprise applications.

The Enterprise, MA News - Brockton, MA - The Enterprise
Was Keith Luke insane when he went on a rampage in Brockton on Jan. 21, 2009, killing two people and wounding another? Catch up on what people ...

VoIP Business, VoIP Technology, VoIP Security - Fierce Enterprise Communications
Visit FierceVoIP for the latest updates in VoIP business, unified communications, VoIP technology, mobile VoIP, VoIP security and more VoIP news. ...

Forest City Enterprises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forest City Enterprises ( NYSE : FCEA , NYSE : FCEB ) is a $9-billion diversified real estate management and development company based in Cleveland ...

Ex-Jailbreakers now working to secure iOS for consumers and enterprises with comprehensive platform
... along with a list of unnamed former jailbreak developers, has been working on a new comprehensive platform to secure iOS devices for both enterprises ...

Enterprises adopt Windows 10 faster than any previous Microsoft OS
... thought to be accelerating the drive to Windows 10. "The survey results underscore the surge in Windows 10 interest we are seeing from enterprises ...

50 enterprise startups you've probably never heard of who really are changing the world
... it's a good time to look over the tech landscape to pinpoint the ones on track to change the business world, particularly the area of enterprise ...

Taiwan market: Consumer and enterprise demand for consumer electronics and smartphones to pick up in ...
... and 4G services are expected to boost consumer demand for consumer electronics and smartphones in January. Meanwhile, demand from enterprises ...

HP Brings Sprout Immersive PC to Enterprises, Classrooms
The new Sprout Pro includes the latest Intel processors, Microsoft's Windows 10, new applications and security features.

2016 Roundup Of Cloud Computing And Enterprise Software Predictions
Deloitte Global predicts in 2016 more than 80 of the world’s 100 largest enterprise software companies will have integrated cognitive technologies ...