Community Starter Kit on a Domain Controller

I'm trying to install the community starter kit on my Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, MSDE 2000 server which is also a domain controller.  When get to the point of setting up the SQL login string it gives me an error saying it cannot find the account WEB\ASPNET (WEB is the name of my machine).  I know that it's never going to find that account because the machine has no local accounts since it's a domain controller.  I need to know how to complete setup successfully.  I've created an ASPNET account according to Microsoft KB315158.  Any ideas would be great.
0
jjepen
4/23/2005 4:42:47 AM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

u can set it up manually ..

create a virtual directory and map it to the installation folder (don't forget to add the script mapping for the images for help on this u can read the documentation files it explains how to do that in details)

then go to the installation folder, in the setup folder u'll find the database scripts
just run it to create the database and then change the connection string in the web.config file..

u can refer to the documentation it has got details on how to setup manually and how to create the database.

hope it's helpful 4 u..

0
trk577
4/23/2005 5:40:12 AM

I would highly recommend that you install the CSK and specify to use a SQL logins instead of a trusted connection.

This bypasses using windows user accounts completely for the database. It'll ask for a user name and password during install and then create the user with that password in SQL.

I recommend using SQL logins instead of windows accounts in pretty much ALL cases. Integrated security was a neat idea in some cases, but it doesn't make much sense when it comes to web applications.

Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
Redd
4/23/2005 6:14:01 PM
Well, I tried setting up an SQL login for my ASPNET user and after much tinkering with permissions I got it to work.  Thanks for all the help.
0
jjepen