Using Visual Studio.NET to customize forums

Hi,

These forums are a great piece of work but I want to tweak the application for my own specific needs using Visual Studio.NET and Visual SourceSafe. I note that they do not use the codebehind format and as such using VS.NET is a bit of a pain. Is there a VS version of the source code? If not, what's the best way to go about it?
Thank you.
0
GingerBap
3/28/2004 1:49:06 AM
asp.net.community-server 486 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Has anyone got an answer for this?

I too would like to be able to get this working in visual studio. I open the default aspx page and get a bunch of :
"Error creating control" boxes.
Is there a way to open the asp.net forum in visual studio?
If someone could just give a little advice I'm sure it would be apprecitated.
I've downloaded the .exe file and run it to install the forum. I can load the forum and it loads fine.
Now I want to see how it works to get some sort of understanding of ASP.net, so I would like to load up the forum code and tinker around to see how it interrelates. I've also seen a bunch of .cs files in and engine directory. How do these relate?
Thanks for any help.
Buck
0
buck2bcr
5/7/2004 6:11:54 PM
I also want to use VS.NET to manipulate the forums.  I installed the EXE and when I tried loading the "Microsoft Visual Studio Solution" project file and try to run it...it says that "a project with output type of class library cannot be started directly.  Can't get it to run.  And the design forms show controls with "error creating control" over top of them.  How to get it running?  Thanks for any help.
DotNetNuke Bronze Benefactor
0
lilryno
5/9/2004 4:16:14 AM
Since the only response this thread has gotten has been for getting help to get the forums running in visual studio, I can only assume that it is impossible to do.

I find that a little disappointing.
Oh well, what can one do?
0
buck2bcr

Open the project file 'AspNetWebForums.csproj' with a text editor.
Replace ProjectType = "Local" with ProjectType = "Web"
Then open your solution file, I think it will run properly at that time.
Hoverup
0
hoverup
5/21/2004 9:53:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Hoverup, but I'm trying to do the same and it's still not working.  When I do as you say, it tells me I need to open it with the url path, but since the Engine folder is seperate from the AspNetForums folder which is the web room, I can't do it.

I guess this means I need to get comfortable with the command line tools, then?
0
bsarsgard
6/24/2004 5:31:43 PM
-In the Project Properties find 'Configuration Properties',

-find 'Debugging' and then set 'Debug Mode' to 'URL' and set 'Start URL' to your start page: 'http://localhost/aspwebforums/default.aspx",
-plus set 'Enable ASP.NET Debugging' to True, we need all this as this project is a library, not a web project.
cheers.
0
gr

Smart Device Application for file transfer to a remote server in .Net Compact Framework (Using Visual Studio.Net 2003,C# code)
Dear all, We are developing a smart device application (using C# code) for .Net Compact Framework where we need to write a programme in C# code to transfer a file from mobile device to remote server/machine.Can anyony help us regarding this aaplication.If you have already done this or you find any article/link regarding to this application then please let me know about that. My mail id : anirbandas.ju@gmail.com Looking forward for your reply soon. Regards Anirban   hi hav u got any solution , becoz i too need. plz share with me...

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Studio.Net and using the latest .net framework references
I have installed the .net framework v1.1 on my machine as I am running/developing sites running the v1.1 of asp.net. So earlier today I tried to use a v1.1 .net feature which was the hasrows() method of the SqlDataReader class only to find that I wasnt running v1.1 in visual studio. As I got a compilation error in Visual Studio when i tried to compile this. I then looked at the references to the system classes that visual studio adds when you create a project and would you believe it they were still using the v1.0 files? How do i get it to use the v1.1 files so that i can use these new featu...

Can I use my visual studio 6 project in Visual Studio .NET?
Here is my situation 1) Web Windows 2k Server. All code is done in ASP (not .net) 2) 1 Developer is not yet ready to install Visual Studio .NET, nor are we ready upgrade our server to .NET, however I wish to use Visiual Studio .NET. So is it possible to open a Visual Studio 6 project file and use the built in Source Control while running Visual Studio .NET? Thanks, Matt anyone able to help me out here? anyone?...

Using Visual Studio.NET 2005 with .NET Framework 1.1
I'm wondering how easy it is to use Visual Studio.NET 2005 to develop with the .NET Framework 1.1. The 2005 IDE is superior to the VS 2003 IDE (especially in terms of HTML editing), and I would like to switch over in the future. However, my project is not quite ready to be converted to .NET 2.0. Can anyone direct me to an article on this or have any advice? Thanks, Allen K. There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't. Did you get an answer to this one? I would like to know the same..Thanks! The VS 2005 IDE was created to...

Web resources about - Using Visual Studio.NET to customize forums - asp.net.community-server

IPhone App Gabi Lets Users Customize Their Facebook News Feeds
iPhone users who want a different way of catching up with their Facebook news feeds have a new option in the form of Gabi , a $0.99 application ...

Customize, target, analyze: A Facebook mobile app install ad guide
... ads directly towards them. If there is a simpler way of explaining all of these steps, it would come down to this circular process: customize, ...

Add Holidays -Customize your calendar quick!- on the App Store on iTunes
Get Add Holidays -Customize your calendar quick!- on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Customize Feedburner Stats - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Search Engine Land's photos on Flickr. Search Engine Land has uploaded 1714 photos to Flickr.

[Jailbreak Advice] Sticker - Manually Dismiss / Customize Banners - YouTube
Sticker is available for $0.99 via the BigBoss Repository Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: http ...

Millennials push fast food industry to customize their meals
Millennials, it seems, want their food quick and customized and they are finding it with a new breed of restaurant called 'Fast Casual'. Today, ...

Hangouts now lets you customize who can contact you directly
Hangouts, since the beginning, has separated incoming messages into two categories. Either the app detects that you probably know the person ...

WatchDots let you customize Apple Watch w/ $10 decals for Digital Crown & button
... Crown of some models (black on stainless steel models and other colors to match bands on the gold Edition models), but WatchDots lets you customize ...

Want to customize your Taco Bell order? Now there's ta.co
... is catchy and easy to remember, but there's more to it than just browsing the same menu you'll find in the restaurant. Instead you can customize ...

How Emory Porsche Customizes Incredible Vintage Porsche 356s
Some view these new/old hybrids as heresy, but once you get behind the wheel of a souped-up piece of history, it's hard to argue with Rod Emory's ...