Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

On the viewproduct page if any of the db fields referenced in the SP are empty you get the above error, the error originates in the productsDB.vb file as follows

myProductDetails.ModelNumber = CStr(parameterModelNumber.Value)
myProductDetails.ModelName = CStr(parameterModelName.Value)
myProductDetails.ProductImage = CStr(parameterProductImage.Value).Trim()
myProductDetails.UnitCost = CType(parameterUnitCost.Value, Decimal)
myProductDetails.Description = CStr(parameterDescription.Value).Trim()

OK I can make the fields accept no nulls but If I need to add another field to the products table(which I do) that may be empty for some records I am going to get this error
Has anyone else found this problem or a possible workaround
Thanks in advance
0
halfprice
2/12/2004 12:26:32 AM
asp.net.commerce-starter-kit 1165 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If Not (paramatername.value) Is Nothing Then

' assign to variable or bind to an object.
End If
Depending on how you are doing this, you may compare use <> , "" whatever is appropriate. This should be enough to get you started.
Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
I REALLY need some help, so here goes. The following function does work as long as the "mail" field in the database isn't NULL. As you can see I have tried a couple of ways to check for a NULL value but none of them seem to work. What's supposed to happen is the function checks to see whether or not a user has an email address in the database. If so, then the email address gets returned, if no email address then I need something back from the function so I can go about another way to get the info to the user. Public Function GetReqByEmail(ByVal reqby As String) As String...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
Hi,  I have an old website and old database (SQL 2000).  I add new column "ImageURL' to database, so all data (several thousand items) are "NULL" (actually is dbNull) under this column.  In searchResult.aspx page, inside the datagrid, I add a colummn call "Image" <code> <asp:datagrid id="dgSearchResult" runat="server"><Columns><asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Image" ItemStyle-Width="55px" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign=Center> <ItemTemplate> <asp:Image ID=ThumbImage Wi...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
 Hi all,Sorry to be posting here on what is probably a common enough error but I am at my wits end with this one. Quite simply I call an Update stored procedure in my code, passing in a number of paramaters. However, when I try to run the code, the following exception is thrown:Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not validI'm really not sure what the problem is here. I have tried hardcoding values for the string values with no success also, as well as using the IsNothing function, but no joy there eitherI would really appreciate someones help as I spent 2 hou...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
I have a problem when I try to read from a table "Ads" in my database and the value of the field is <NULL>. (I assume that I will come across a field that will be blank.) I’m not referencing any field in particular. I am learning .Net through I test project. When I delete a field in a record, for example "phone" I get following error: Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. I would like to not show the label at all if it's null. Fo...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #3
help anybody.. it has been 2 weeks since i got out of this error.. please anybody share their insights on this here is my code. Populate Struct using Output Params from SPROC Line 86: myCustomerDetails.FullName = CStr(parameterFullName.Value) ---ERROR!! Line 87: myCustomerDetails.Password = CStr(parameterPassword.Value) Line 88: myCustomerDetails.Email = CStr(parameterEmail.Value) Of course. They are not the same thing. casting requires the objects to implement either a common ancestor or interface to cast to. Use ToStrin...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid #2
G'day, Puzzled by this. The error occurs on the field "Mobile" yet its format is exactly the same as the other fields. In otherwords I can remove the line of code dealing with "Mobile" and it will function. Can anyone explain? The error is : Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. <%#ifPresent("Phone:",Container.DataItem("Phone"))%> <%#ifPresent("Fax:",Container.DataItem("Fax"))%> <%#ifPresent("Mobile:",Container.DataItem("Mobile"))%> <%#ifPre...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #3
Hi Everyone, I am trying this very simple select statement and storing my information into arrays but i am receiving the above error whenever the field has a NULL as value.I have looked at other similar post in this forum and know that i need to check if the string is empty but somehow i do not know the exact syntax to do this check.  Please help. Dim conAct As SqlConnectionDim cmdSelectAct As SqlCommandDim dtrAct As SqlDataReaderconAct = New SqlConnection("etc etc")conAct.Open()cmdSelectAct = New SqlCommand("Select EMPLID,USERID etc etc  from TABLE where STATUS='I'", conAct)...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #2
I think this is a bug, the database of Products are allowed to have "Null" Value, but when you do have one, the store is crashed with subjected message, I have found a solution to use View to change the Null value into something when run the SQL store procedure, but I don't know if is there anyway from "Class" side to solve it. Always check for Null before trying to convert the value to a string or assign to a text or label. Try this: If Not(IsDbNull(drProducts("foo"))) Then ...insert your code to display here... End If mix it up! www.devalch...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #2
i have an login page which use e-mail address and password to login , once the system comfirm this is valid login it get customer details and in my login page i have the following code Dim loginsystem As onlineshop.Customers = New onlineshop.Customers() Dim customerId As String = loginsystem.customer_login(login.email_address, login.password) If customerId <> "" Then Dim customerDetails As onlineshop.customer_Detail = loginsystem.Get_Customer_Details(customerid) and at the onlineshop.customer_detail function i have the following ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. Error
Hi, Can anyone help me with an error I am receiving "Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid."  I am creating an aspx page in VB.NET, please find attached code causing error.objCmd = New SqlCommand("USP_DisplayEmbarkDetails", objConn)  objCmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure  objCmd.Parameters.Add("@BranchID", lblGetBranchID.Text)  objConn.Open()  objRdr = objCmd.ExecuteReader()    While objRdr.Read     lblBranchName.Text=objRdr("BranchName")    lblBranchID.Text=objRd...

Web resources about - Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. - asp.net.commerce-starter-kit