move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express

I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation.

I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore.

I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would be beneficial. I would like to have the knowledge to do both, and am assuming the process is probably similar for both sql products.  Basically, I would like the database to NOT be part of the web project.

If someone could point me to instructions to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I've searched around a bit, but haven't hit on something that would help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

0
glura
6/24/2006 4:40:27 PM
asp.net.club-site-starter-kit 1219 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The secret is the SQL script in the App_Data folder, club-add.sql.  Also useful is aspnet_regsql.exe.  See:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x28wfk74.aspx

Jeff

jeff

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

Can starter kit be created without SQL express 2005? (Only using SQL 2005)
I am confused what VS is looking for when I select "ASP.NET Confuguration"   Or do I NEED to install SQL EXPRESS and then create the site and THEN detach ? But still where is the connection string for aspnetdb database so I can point it to SQL SERVER 2005 ? http://punkouter.spaces.live.comhttp://simplecoder.net <!-- Site Database --> <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/> <!...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Moving SQL 2005 DB to SQL 2005 express
Hi. I developed an ASP.NET based website at work using MS SQL 2005 Developer Edition as the back-end. Now I have a friend who needs a website and I can basically use some of the same tables/SPs I used at work. My questions are: 1. Can I detach the DB from work and attach it to an MS SQL 2005 Express database?2. As the developer of the website, what do I have to do to distribute the web application? Being the express version of SQL, do I have to pay for licensing or things like that?Thank you.  1. Can I detach the DB from work and attach it to an MS SQL 2005 Express database?...

Starter Kits with SQL Server 2005 Dev not Express
I Visual Studio 2005 Pro and SQL Server 2005 Developer, so when I installed VS I chose not to install SQLExpress. Do I need this to effectively use the starter kits? I have changed the instance to my SQL 2005 instance rather that SQLExpress in Options-Data Connections, but it still creates the database in the app-data folder and make the connection string SQLExpress. Do I need to attach the database to my server and then change the connection string? Thanks in advance.Gonz Gonz, SQL Server 2005 has better performance than SQL Express 2005 for sure. It doesn't matter where your SQL Server ...

How to: move Personal Site from local SQL Express to production SQL Server 2005
It took a lot of hacking, but I can sum it up fairly easy by following these steps (which I mostly got from the CrystalTech forums and Google): Test and make sure your Starter Kit works properly on your local machine.  This will help us with troubleshooting later. Configure ASP.NET 2.0 Application Services to use SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 (perfect blog with detailed instructions at http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx).   Make sure to run this against your newly set up SQL 2005 database, as this step replaces the database (ASPNETDB.MD...

How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
How to create a database in the sql express with Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2?我怎么样在Viaual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2使用 sql express建立数据库?Help! SQL Express must be installed.1) Make sure there is an App_Data folder at the root of the Web site.2) In Solution Explorer, right-click App_Data and choose Add New Item.3) In the Add New Item dialog box, choose SQL Database and give it a name.4) Click OK.5) Switch to Database Explorer window.6) Double-click new database to expand it.7) Right click Tables and then choose Add New Table.8) Define column properties and ...

Unable to add SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Database to Web Site.
I am trying to add a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Database to my Web Site. But I am unablr to do so.   I am getting the following error: {"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"} I am unable to understand what exactly is the problem. Pls Help me out. Thanx In Advance.Regards,Param...

Web resources about - move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express - asp.net.club-site-starter-kit

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.

Database Leak Exposes 3.3 Million 'Hello Kitty' Fans
... was accessible. Vickery told Reuters by e-mail that the company had plugged the holes he had found in three servers. But he said the database ...

Access Tons of Books, Photos, and Videos in the New York Public Library's Digital Database
... information, and materials anyone can use. Even better, all of it’s free. And the New York Public Library now offers access to a massive database ...