Help : can't login and can't register after moving the site to IIS

I tested the site in VS2005, created a user and Administrators role. Everything
works fine in VS2005, I can login, add events,...

I copied all the web site folder to an IIS server folder, including the app_data
folder. I can access the web site, it displays well, but I cannot login and I can't
register a new member.

Does anyone know how to correct this? It looks like it's a database problem,
but I'm not sure, I'm kind of new with ASP and SQLExpress mdf file.

Is it enough to just copy the app_data folder?

Thanks a lot.

Aymeric
0
abulliard
1/5/2006 11:21:40 AM
asp.net.club-site-starter-kit 1219 articles. 0 followers. Follow

UPDATE :
I isolated the problem, it's a write permission on the aspnetdb.
Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\INTRANET\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only.

I gave ASPNET the full control to the app_data, restarded IIS but I still get this error.

Anyone could help me please?
0
abulliard
1/6/2006 10:39:28 AM

I am having the exact same issue, so I am bumping this thread back to the top. If anyone knows, please help. :)

Thanks!

0
meantown2
2/8/2006 1:29:01 AM

OK, I found it. I'm in XP Pro in a workgroup environment (not a domain).

Must turn off simple file sharing and give directory permissions to ASPNET, IUSR_, and IWAM_ (and maybe NETWORK SERVICE) users.

Open windows explorer, Tools -> folder options -> View tab

Go to bottom option and uncheck Use simple file sharing.

Then go to the directory that contains your web site, right click -> Sharing and Security.

Add the users listed above and give read/write pirvs.

BINGO.

I hope this helps someone! Good Luck.

0
meantown2
2/9/2006 1:23:34 AM

how about publishing to hosting providers where you do not have admin rights?  how do you grant the correct level of permissions to enable the Login/Register functionality at a remote hosting provider rather than on a local server at home?

Thanks.

0
changeofhart
2/9/2006 12:20:57 PM

If they can host and serve your site and they have SQL Express installed you "should" be OK. If you are not OK, i.e. your pages are served but you can't log in to the site on the host, here is some stuff to consider:

1. Your connection string. You will most likely need to edit the DataSource property in the connection string to match the name on the host. The connection string is in the web.config. mine looks like this:

<connectionStrings>
  <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True"
   providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
 </connectionStrings>

I had to change "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS" to "Data Source=.\ProvidersServerName" so my site could access the ClubSitDB.

Confession on my part: I have not yet found how the connection is set in the project to connect to ASPNETDB to do the role validation/login. BUT I had a guy at my host provider go into my site in IIS -> Properties -> ASP.NET tab -> Edit Configuration -> General tab : there is a Connection string manager. I had him set the connection string for the ASPNETdb to the necessary DataSource name.

Best-O-Luck!

0
meantown2

Transferring from CSK 2 DNN but Can't register in DNN Site.. Activation code not sent and i can't login..
Hii guys.. I have tried all the ways to register in DNN Site but there was no way.. registration required an Activation code and i tried to register using many emails but i didn't receive the code in any of them anyone knows from where can i get DNN if i'm unable to download it from DNN site.. anyone have it.. and can anyone tell me which last Version (none beta) available to dwnload.. ?? coz i'm still very new to DNN i'm transfering from CSK to DNN Have you checked the Bulk Email folder in your email - sometimes it catches these automated emails as spam. The current version is ...

after moving the site to IIS can't login or register
Hello,I have successfull on my localhost to create users and admins however after I installed the site on my server (windows 2003 - IIS 6.0 & installed SQLExpress) I can't login or register. I have read some of the threads however still can't get it going. Please help. I assume you have .Net 2.0 Framework loaded correct?  Also what DBs did you transfer to your new site?  Can you access the ASP.net Configuration site on that box?  Give us more details and we can try an help you out...Shane L. Hackney Thank you for your reply! I am running .Net 2.0 Framework - I am usin...

Can't open site and can't open in safe mode anymore?
FF 4, Win 7 Prof can't get most of the page from www.bose.com. I can get it in Chrome. I also can't find a way (any longer) to open Firefox 4 in safe mode. How does one do that now? Thanks Louise On 4/3/2011 5:11 PM, louise wrote: > FF 4, Win 7 Prof > > can't get most of the page from www.bose.com. I can get it in Chrome. > > I also can't find a way (any longer) to open Firefox 4 in safe mode. How > does one do that now? > > Thanks > > Louise found safe mode and disabled all my add-ons. The site, bose.com, still do...

can't perform dumps
I'm trying to learn how to do database dumps and backups with Sybase 11.9.2-1 on Linux. Everytime I run: 'dump database master to "/dev/st0"', I get error 7205, 'Can't open a connection to site SYB_BACKUP. See the error log file in the SQL Server boot directory.' Is there an easy explanation as to why this isn't working? I've just started working with Sybase and thought I was following the dump instructions per the book, but they don't seem to work. Any suggestions? Thanks, winnerd@home.com Hi, Error 7205 could be give...

I can't log in when deployed to a IIS 7 site, but I can with F5 or with a web app in that web site
I created a website in ASP.NET using a database set up the aspnet_regsql utility. I can log in fine when I hit F5 and run the app or when I use the copy web site tool to create a new web app in an existing site, but when I publish or copy the files to the web site itself set up in IIS I get failed login when I try to log in. I've got anonymous and forms authentication enabled in the site. Is there some magic setting I'm missing to allow me to log into the app from the site as opposed to the temp server set up with F5 or the web app set up in the copy web site tool? Thanks, ...

Can't get it to work. Can't get help.
Name: Tony Clarke Email: minionataondotat Product: Thunderbird Summary: Can't get it to work. Can't get help. Comments: Installed T'bird. Had to change defunct server that T'bird selected by default. Kept asking for passwords associated with previous email (Outlook Express ), when passwords entered then got error messages saying aon responded with 're-authentification failure'. Searched your knowledge base & help forums to no avail. Found them very user-unfriendly & ended up more confused than before. Would like to try T'bird, but I think ...

Can't base report on stored procedure--'Can't create Datawindow'
I installed IM65 today to give it a try. I made a db config to our local ASE 11.9.2 engine via Sybase' odbc driver that came with 11.9.2. I start a new report, tell it to be tabular and to get data from a SP. It asks which SP and I tell it. The result is an odbc error: Cannot create DataWindow Intersolv SQL ODBC driver: Incorrect syntax near '='. 1 execute dbo.sp_si_addressbest_;0 RETURN_VALUE = :RETURN_VALUE' I can execute the SP fine from SQL Advantage or from Crytal Reports. Thanks. -- Frank Burleigh Indiana University School of Law Bloomi...

Can't see the 'Move Up', 'Move Down', Move to Top' etc. Module Menu items.
Hey all: I've just started finally putting my first website together. But I've noticed something strange. When I'm on the Admin or Host menu, the module menus show the 'move up' move down', move top', etc menu items. However, *none* of my other tabs with multiple modules in a pane show any way of moving the module up or down. It's very disconcerting, because once I place a module, I have no way of moving it up or down, like I normally could. I *can* move it from pane to pane, if the skin for that tab is a multi-pane skin. But I can't move a module up or down. Also, I added an Eve...

Can't open a connection to site '%S_SRVID' because 'set up channel' message was not acknowledged
I'm using Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.2/EBF 11798/P/NT (IX86)/OS 4.0/ase1252/1831/32-bit/OPT/Fri Apr 09 04:15:03 2004 This morning the prod db server semi-hung. Although not pinned at 100%, all 4 cpus were constantly above 95% utilization. All application connecting to it became unusable. Killing spids did not help. When I issued a "shutdown <server_name> with nowait" I got the following message back: "Msg 7211, Level 18, State 1 Can't open a connection to site '<server_name>' because 'set up channel' message was not ack...

Can't right click on bookmark toolbar links, can't move them either.
Name: Daniel Felton Email: danieldotjandotfeltonatgmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: Can't right click on bookmark toolbar links, can't move them either. Comments: When I right click on shortcuts on my bookmarks toolbar nothing happens, and I can no longer drag and drop them to re-arrange their order like I could in FF2. I have encountered this in both the mac version and the windows version. It seems a lot of work to have to open the 'organise bookmarks' interface just to re-arrange shortcuts in my bookmark toolbar, and to not be able to right click the...

Web resources about - Help : can't login and can't register after moving the site to IIS - asp.net.club-site-starter-kit