window.modal vs window.open, which to use and how to use?

Hi,

I am opening a child window through javascript with window.modal but the problem is when i click a button or link it opens another page with respect to that link, i want to open that page in same child window. when i used window.open the parameters like location scroll bar etc were made false but it had no effect on the child window, using window.modal is fine as far as these paremeters are concerned but the problem is same as i told you people earlier that it opens a third page.
how to solve the problem
thanx in advance
0
waqas_athar

I use modals a lot and they work well. Place <base target=_self> between the head tags after the title tag in the modal page, this will stop the third page on post back. Also, be aware that modals are cached differently than normal pages so you can use Response.Expiresabsolute = datetime.now in the init so that your page does not cache.

I never use window.open as you can lose the user
Hope this helps
Niall
0
niallmoran
5/12/2004 4:04:50 PM
thanx I'll check it :)
0
waqas_athar

how can I use window.opener but with window.showModalDialog instead of window.open
Hi, I tried the code bellow that I found in  :  4guysfromrolla site:the code displays a source page, whn I click on the Calendar <a href />  link  i get a calendar displayed on a target page. when I select a date, the calendar page closes and populates the textbox txtDate with the chosen date. Here is the code of the 2 pages and my question is down bellow:a source page called frmCalendar.aspx has this:<form name="frmCalendar">   <input name="txtDate" type="text" />   <a href=&q...

OPEN NEW WINDOW USING window.open
Hi, can any eagle eyed geniuses spot what I'm doing wrong here? It's doing my nut! I'm simply trying to call a new page in a new window that I want to control the size, etc. I've tried two different ways - one from within my code behind and the other triggered by a LinkButton command action. Both do absolutely nothing. Please help... Private Sub InfoClick1(ByVal pSiteCode) Response.Write("<script>window.open('siteinfo.aspx?sitecode='" & pSiteCode & "','Info','left=20,top=20,height=500,width=850,toolbar=no,status=no,resizable=1,scrollbars=no')</script>") End Sub +...

prevent opening a new window in modal window using content page
Hi, I have a content page with a button and when I click it, I am trying to open a modal window using javascript:showmodaldialog (this is a normal aspx page, I mean not a content page). In the modal window. I have a asp button and when I click the button,I am trying to do some validation and the close the modal window. what is h appening is, when I  click the button my code is executing and after that a webpage is opening again and the cotents which are in modal window are displayed in the webpage. how to avoid this. <cotent>  <asp:button id="btn" text=&...

window.open in c# using RegisterClientScriptBlock opens window in minimized
Hello Friends I am developing web application using Win XP, IIS, C#, Sql Server etc. Now I have one button on to my web page when user click it, i do some operation on server side and then opens into a new window. So I have opened the window by using c#  and by RegisterClientScriptBlock.... But when it opens, it opens properly but get minimize to the taskbar. I wanted it to remain open or restore, So if anybody have an idea, Please let me know soon. My code to open new window..string script = String.Format("window.open('ChildWindow.aspx',null,'height=550, ...

I am using a client side javascript to open a new window and have a problem
I have a user control..On it i have the word 'open' as a link....calling my javascript to open another page.....This page then auto close with javascript...Problem is when you click on 'open' it brings up my page and another page about:blank.......how do you avoid this???? hello, u would like to check my article on the following address: Pop Up Window from inside ASP.NET best of luck.Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP...

Calling parent window (using master page) button click event from an opened child window (not using master page)
I have a parent window that pops up a child window. In the child window, there is a server control LinkButton, with the following command at code-behind upon clicking:         Response.Write("<SCRIPT> javascript:window.opener.document.getElementById('<%=btnMas.ClientID%>').click(); </SCRIPT>");        Response.Write("<SCRIPT> javascript:window.close() </SCRIPT>");        Response.End(); What it would like to do are:1) Invoke the ...

How to open url in new window and use previous window when already opened
We can achieve this by using a simple javascript function....     var WindowObjectReference; function openRequestedSingleWindow(strUrl, strWindowName) {     if(WindowObjectReference == null || WindowObjectReference.closed)    {      WindowObjectReference = window.open(strUrl, strWindowName);    }    else    {      WindowObjectReference.focus();    } } Here we use a WindowObjectReference as a global variable to track the opened window. If opened for the fir...

automatically adjusting the new window size opened using window.open()
i am using window.open() javascript method specifying the height and width of the new window. but the problem is the contents are bit bigger than that, they will be invisible and if they are less, there will be blank white screen which doesn't look very good. so is it possible to adjust the size of new window automatically depending upon the content?-keeara g------------------ Hi keeara, Use window.resizeTo(iWidth, iHeight). Cheers, Peter BrunoneMS MVP, ASP.NETFounder, EasyListBox.comDo the impossible, and go home early. but can i access it by server side code? i am using vb.n...

PDFS open in new window, used to open in FF window with URL showing
I don't recall changing anything except maybe the application Firefox is supposed to use for PDFs, from Adobe to Foxit Reader. If When I opened PDF files from the address bar I used to still have the address bar showing. This was handy for calling up IRS forms, then changing the "f" in the address bar to "i" to call up the instructions. Now, at least with Foxit Reader, it opens in a separate window without showing the actual URL downloaded in the Firefox address bar. It used to open in the same window as I recall, showing the address of the downloaded file. ...

Problem with opening new window "window.Open" using javascript
I am trying to open new window when press a button "btnPrint" using: Response.Write("<script language='javascript'> window.open('CouponReport.aspx', 'window', 'HEIGHT=600,WIDTH=820,top=50,left=50,toolbar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes'); </script>"); but when the new window opened the current page do a post back action and the current page format change like the following: before window open: after window opened: So, how i can a void the post back action.  <script language='javascript'> funct...

How do I change a windows 2000 machine to logon using Novell client before windows client?
Currently I have a few machines that login using the windows client before the novell client. How do i change them to log on to the netware client before the windows client. The machines are windows 2000 run netware client 4.83 sp2. Thanks Open your registry and go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] Change this value to: "GinaDLL"="NWGINA.DLL" -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

automatic redirect to other page using window.open from client side when page is fully posted back
 hi,     i am experiencing  a problem in <asp:history runat="server"/> control.in order to maintain back and forward button concept i am using <asp:history control.it works fine but the problem is when i redirect to other page using response.redirect ("") i loss my all history points and when i click on back/forward button i am redirected to last full rendered page not to partially updated by ajax.second thing is i cant use server.transfer("") ,since it will not change URL. Third thing is i cant use scriptmanager .registerc...

Tracking windows using |window.opener| in Firefox
Hello, In a Firefox extension, I'm trying to "track/supervise" which browser window was opened by which window. At the moment, I'm simply using, in a browser.xul overlay, the | window.opener| property. That works great, provided that the browser windows are opened via a menu, e.g. "File >> New Window" or right-click "Open in a new window". But if I click on a simple anchor like : <a href="..." target="_blank">Link</a> or even : <a href="#" onclick="window.open('example.com'...

Web resources about - window.modal vs window.open, which to use and how to use? - asp.net.client-side

The Windows Blog

Canberrans continue to pay tribute to window washer who touched their soul
Tributes have continued to flow for a humble window cleaner who became a routine feature at a Dickson intersection for more than 20 years.

Canberra says goodbye to Dickson window washer, Ian 'Scrubby' Stokes
... city's most familiar faces and decades of fleeting but memorable interactions. Ian "Scrubby" Stokes, better known to many as the Dickson window ...

Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ...
90min Transfer Window Live 20/01: Byram 'Done'; Swansea Enquire About Allen; Chelsea ... 90min Hammers co-chairman David Sullivan told Sky ...

Comparison breaks down all the missing features in Office for Mac & iPad vs Windows
This comparison of the differences between Microsoft Office on Mac, Windows, and iOS devices was put together by Kurt Schmucker who (disclaimer) ...

Warner Bros. ignores PC players, drops Windows support for Mortal Kombat X
Shown here: Owners of the PC version of Mortal Kombat X While versions of many Mortal Kombat games have come to the PC over the years, the series ...

KillEmAll 5 instantly closes everything on your Windows desktop
... all non-essential applications at the click of a button. The program could be very useful in emergencies maybe to close all open browser windows ...

A developer is so frustrated by the Windows 10 app store, he's telling people to stop writing Windows ...
For months, developers have been complaining about a big problem with Microsoft's Windows 10 app store: their apps never show up in the search ...