when to use client side / server side?

Hey,

Please can someone tell me when do i need to use a client-side or a server-side?

For instance, I have a dropdownlist and when the user choses one of the listitems then click on the button to submit changes,i need first to validate the new value chosen by the user by comparing it with the old value and then redirect the user to the next page if there are no errors or view an error on the other hand! so in this case what's more preferable to use a JScript (client side) or on the click event of the button pressed (server side)!

waiting the reply.................

thanx in advance

Hiba

0
Hiba84

well..for your scenario you can use both, doing it with the javascript(or with the validator controls) on the client  will  save you a  server trip  and  also  enhance  user  experience but  the  user may choose  to  disable  javascript  on  his browser  and in that  case your valildation fails  and you may end up  saving  wrong data in database. So the best approach is to use both--client and server validation.

Hope this clarifies.

Home Is Where the Wind Blows
http://pushpontech.blogspot.com
0
pushp_aspnet

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

What is Client Side and Server Side?
I am New of ASP.Net What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses? Please any one clear my doubt. Thanking YouEndendrum Priyamudan P m R Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed. that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

Using server side global variable on client side
I have a function which retrieves certain values from ldap server. I have written server side code to get the data. Now I want to show the values on a html form. I tried to create client side variable within server side script and use it but when I start it says Undefined variable as_firstname, if I add <SCRIPT> as_firstname="test" </SCRIPT> after <!--SCRIPT> and --> tag before </HEAD> it displays the value. Can someone say what is wrong in this? My Code is <HTML> <HEAD> <!--SCRIPT import JavaWrapper.ssc; fun...

Client side clock using server side controls
Is it possible to create a client side clock using a server side control (label or textbox) in C# without accessing JavaScript?  If so, how? In principal it is possible, it depends how often you need to reload this clock ... if every second than: 1. It is no sens to do I mean 2. You need than to make setTimeout client script, to refresh page every second With FastPage it seems more real task ... http://fastpage.more.at...

When To Use Client Side vs Server Side vs AJAX
Before AJAX, it was fairly clear to me where to draw the line between functionality best performed server-side vs client-side.  For example, database access and data processing is done on the server, and basic field validation and other UI stuff is done on the client.  But now with AJAX implemented through Atlas, the line is blured.  I know what can be done... but what is the optimal way to design a web application using Atlas (in terms of what functionality should be implemented server-side versus client-side versus Ajax)?  What is the prev...

Calling a server side function from client side using the toolkit
Ok, I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but I'm willing to ask it anyway.  Let's say that I created a new extender called "My", so I now have three files files, MyExtender.cs, MyBehaviour.js, and MyDesigner.cs.  I want my control to be able to take some data on the client side and use it to retrieve some data on the server side, which AJAX is all about right? :) So for the sake of argument, let's say I want to enter an email address in a textbox, and then consult a database to return the user's password. So in my MyExtender.cs file, I create ...

Passing client side to server side using hidden field
 I have a hidden asp.net text box that is being updated on the client via javascript. I am trying to determine the best way to detect when that hidden field has changed and read the new value on the server. I would like to do this WITHOUT posting back. I have tried using the TextChanged event but that requires blur state to be changed before it gets fired. What would be the best way to do this? Thanks, Justin.  Can you use __doPostBack() to trigger a partial postback at the same time the hidden TextBox is updated, from JavaScript? Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Lates...

Web resources about - when to use client side / server side? - asp.net.client-side

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Perth domestic violence clinic: Clients praise new affordable legal service
As Perth professionals queue to volunteer at a new legal clinic exclusively for domestic violence victims, the mother of one such victim has ...

'They're robbers': Debt management firms leaving clients worse off
Debt vultures promise to sort out your money problems, but sometimes, they can make matters worse.

Separating real clients from the rest
Six tips to avoid pretend clients and other time wasters.

Back In The Race: What A Potential Client’s $400 Consultation Fee Really Pays For
Clients may believe that consultation fees are lining lawyers' pockets, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

NowThis Partners With MEC to Make Branded Video for Agency Clients
... across social platforms such as Snapchat and Facebook, has struck a deal for in-house ad unit NowThis Studios to create content for MEC's clients. ...

Rich clients don't want 'another Indian planner', Westpac planner told
Westpac is facing a million-dollar race discrimination lawsuit from a senior financial planner who alleges the bank revoked its decision to give ...

Airmail is a powerful email client that jumped from Mac to iPhone
Airmail - Your Mail With You Spark - Like your email again Airmail is a powerful email client that jumped from Mac to iPhone is a story by ...