web forms with client and server side controls??

Hi,

I have a form that has client and server side controls. I have a problem in that
any client controls (textbox) within the form runat="server" can not be accessed
with client side code.
Anyone got any ideas why and what work arounds are possible.
Regards,
Graham.
0
netdocs

once a form element is inside a <FORM> tag, you can no longer refer to it by its ID alone.

you have to refer to it by formname.elementid or document.all.elementid.
0
rox
11/7/2003 3:57:47 PM
use document.getElementById(yourtextboxid) to get a ref to the element in the form.  using this allows u to bypass the formname.  but you must have dom compliant browser like IE.

i use a wrapper function to get objects in my clientside scripting... something like...
////////////////////////////////////////////////
// find an element and return object for it
function getRef(id)
{
try {
return document.getElementById(id);
}
catch (error) {
var sAlert = 'ERROR: fnc {getRef} return the following error: \n ';
sAlert += '[ ' + error.number + '] - ' + error.description;
alert(sAlert);
}
}
a little bit over the top but saves a lot of typing... J
0
johngilliland

What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ?
What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ? and diff server -side coding and client -side coding ? please help I have answered the first part of your question in your previous posting. Server-side coding languages are ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, CGI (Perl) and many, many more. They are used to create dynamic web content (based on additional information that is attached to the request) and are often used to extract information from databases. Client-side coding languages are JavaScript, VBScript, EMACScript and are used to create dynamic content that responds to the u...

Combining a server-side control with a client-side control!

Is there a correspondance for each server side control to be equivalent to a client side html control
Where can find the list and can use that equivalence and what is its usage plsThanksThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. What exactly do you mean? A correspondence of what?All controls have a ClientID property, which for most controls tells the DOM element ID that will be used in the HTML rendering. Aside from that certain controls might offer additional client-side functionality, but there's no one standard.Thanks,EilonBlog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/ I mean. When I am using html control in my aspx page like:  <input type=text ..>  and...

Server-side versus Client-side controls?
Hi, I'm new to ASP.NET, and I was wondering how negligible the performance impact of using server-side controls over client-side controls is? Should I avoid using server-side controls and use client-side ones whereever I can? Or should I not care? From apurely aesthetic point-of-view, it would be nice to use mostly all server-side controls to keep everything consistent. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks. There are up's and down's of both server-side and client side controls.  Read this article and you will have a better understanding on which is better.http://www.eggh...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

differences between server side asynchronous Web methods and client side asynchronous Web methods
Hi,   can anyone expalin what are the differences between server side asynchronous Web methods  and client side asynchronous Web methods in ASP.Net 2.0 ?   any best articles on serverside asynchronous Web methods  ?   Thanks,  hi, check this url, Server-Side Asynchronous Methods for ASP.NET, http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/asyncws.aspx   Calling the Server-Side method asynchronously from Client Script, http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dipenlama22/Callbacks07182006093320AM/Callbacks.aspx...

How to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts
Folks,I have problem try to to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts. Please give me helps.     The error is as follows Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.Source Error: Line 79: { Line 80: Control c = Page.FindControl("ddlTC" + i); Line 81: ((DropDownList)c).DataSource = mdt; Line 82: ((DropDownList)c).DataTextField = "ClassID"; Line 83: ((DropDownList)c).DataValueField = "Course"; My aspx page source codes: ...<...

form double validation- server side and client side
Hi! I would like to make a server side validation after calling a js function that makes the client-side validation. I do not understand couple of things: 1. Do i need a server side button or  a simple HTML submit button in order to call both of the tests? 2. How do i call a server side function which is written in csharp  after i finish my JS validation (the submit  button is calling the JS function for validation first.)- is it possible to call it directly from a js function? 3. I know that my toolbox on asp.net  contains validation controls who probably are b...

Server Side control invoking a Client Side event
I need to figure out how to get a server side control to process the "OnMouseOver" event. Since server side controls do not have the onmouseover event associated with them, how would you make for example, a DropDownList have a "OnMouseOver" event associate with it? The DropDownList must be server side. I guess the idea here is to set client-side events on the server-side control. Any help will be appreciated. You may try something like this: In server side code DDL1.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "javascript:alert('Hi')") Th...

Client-Side enabling of a Server-Side disabled control?
Recently I came into a situation that required me to enable a control client-side, which was previously disabled server-side. Let me explain using a checkbox as an example. When I run chkMyCheckBox.enabled = false, the resulting HTML includs a dynamically created a span that encloses the control. This span is does not have an ID and has the attribute disabled="disabled". This inturn disables the control and it's associated label. Problem being, I see a way to enable the control on the client-side, which requires me to enabled the span as well. Has anyone needed to do this bef...

Client side clock using server side controls
Is it possible to create a client side clock using a server side control (label or textbox) in C# without accessing JavaScript?  If so, how? In principal it is possible, it depends how often you need to reload this clock ... if every second than: 1. It is no sens to do I mean 2. You need than to make setTimeout client script, to refresh page every second With FastPage it seems more real task ... http://fastpage.more.at...

Web resources about - web forms with client and server side controls?? - asp.net.client-side

TERROR IN JAKARTA: 'Situation under control' after explosions, gunfire erupt in Indonesian capital
At least six people are dead, including three police officers, after several explosions at the Sarinah shopping mall in an apparent multi-site ...

Backburn approved in bid to control bushfire before blaze hit Wye River - HeraldSun Search Search
A BACKBURN was approved to try to control a bushfire in the days before it tore through more than 100 homes in Wye River on Christmas Day.

DFES downgrades bushfire in Dunsborough as it is contained, but not under control
A BUSHFIRE south of Dunsborough has been contained but is not yet under control.

WA fires: threatening Jindalee blaze brought under control
A fire that was at one stage a threat to lives on homes in Jindalee on Thursday has been brought under control.

Publicis Said to Weigh Bid for Control of Cheil Worldwide
Publicis Groupe is weighing a bid for a controlling stake in Cheil Worldwide, people with knowledge of the matter said. The French company is ...

Playing around with BMW’s 7 Series gesture control user interface
We take a BMW 7 Series for a short drive to play with its gesture control. Video shot/edited by Jennifer Hahn. (video link) LAS VEGAS—Yesterday, ...

BMW recalls i8 for stability control problem
... , BMW , Safety , Coupe , Hybrid , Performance BMW will recall a small number of 2015 i8s because of a problem with the dynamic stability control ...

Embracing the NRA on gun control
I’m just stealing a massive post from Stonekettle Station on a plausible path forward towards sanity on guns: Those laws should be designed ...

Apple has landed a very rare sponsorship deal to ensure it has control of the hottest ticket in San Francisco ...
Apple has signed up for the first time to become a sponsor of the Super Bowl Host Committee, Daniel Roberts at Yahoo Finance reported. It's ...